Is this engine builder nuts?

-
I like the eq heads, seems like the price would be on par with porting and re sizing the 273 heads. I read up about the swap and it all makes sense. Only thing I didn't find out is what differences there are for the magnum head in terms of mounting accessories. Are there external differences to keep in mind?

I like the eq heads, seems like the price would be on par with porting and re sizing the 273 heads. I read up about the swap and it all makes sense. Only thing I didn't find out is what differences there are for the magnum head in terms of mounting accessories. Are there external differences to keep in mind?

Yes, be ready to change a lot.

My LA head swap to EQ Magnums on my stock 318 completed last year went like this.
I searched as much as I could to find any issues or downsides to the swap. My costs were:

EQ Magnum Heads w/LA Intake Bolt Pattern $850 (Delivered)
Magnum Rocker Arm set P4876050 $ 94
ARP Magnum Head Bolts 144-3605 $ 89
Summit 7.650" Pushrods (5/16) $100
Mr Gasket Head Gaskets (.028) 2 $ 44
Valve Cover Gaskets $ 20
MP Valve Covers $200
Valve Cove Grommets $ 12
Studs for Valve Covers $ 8
Performer Intake Used $100
Intake Gasket Set $ 20
Plug Wires $ 31
Comp Cam Kit (w/oil thru lifters) $194

I didn't total the costs because you may be able to horse trade or find cheaper prices. Most of the pieces came from Summit Racing. hope this helps.

Ernesto

My LA head swap to EQ Magnums on my stock 318 completed last year went like this.
I searched as much as I could to find any issues or downsides to the swap. My costs were:

Valve Cover Gaskets $ 20
MP Valve Covers $200
Valve Cove Grommets $ 12
Intake Gasket Set $ 20
Plug Wires $ 31

I didn't total the costs because you may be able to horse trade or find cheaper prices. Most of the pieces came from Summit Racing. hope this helps.

Ernesto

Yes that helps a lot, thanks. Do you know your hp? Ever taken it to the strip? What gears do you run and what's your impression of the performance?

Valve Cover Gaskets $ 20
MP Valve Covers $200
Valve Cove Grommets $ 12
Intake Gasket Set $ 20
Plug Wires $ 31

Ernesto

Ernesto,spot on price wise.. My EQ swap,was about 1800.. ( a Magnum 5.9,a new retro fit Howards h.r. ,& a 1.5 Crane stud conversion kit,ramped it up. I got what I wanted: adjustable valve train..)

Alternator brackets for an early "A", Headers for an early "A" (if you are to get all that heavy breathing out), Power steering?, AC ? You can run milled 360 heads and get almost the same flow as stock Magnum heads, without all the special parts.

Yes that helps a lot, thanks. Do you know your hp? Ever taken it to the strip? What gears do you run and what's your impression of the performance?
I did the head swap as part of a rebuild to remedy a low oil pressure issue. The 318 is in a 68 Coronet 440 Wagon weighing about 4000lbs with 2.76 gears and the cam was selected to add a little more low end torque with reasonable gas mileage in mind (Comp XE 256). My stock pistons were .060 below the deck so the EQ heads (stock valves) didn't hurt compression and added breathing and velocity on the low end. I do not know the hp and its a cruiser so no track time. I really like the low end and she pulls well but until I install the Treblig modified Magnum exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust I won't realize the full potential of my combo.

Ernesto

Ernesto,spot on price wise.. My EQ swap,was about 1800.. ( a Magnum 5.9,a new retro fit Howards h.r. ,& a 1.5 Crane stud conversion kit,ramped it up. I got what I wanted: adjustable valve train..)
Yea Abody,

I really liked the idea of better set of heads that I could swap to a LA 360, 5.2 or 5.9 Mag in the future. More options.

Ernesto

-
Back