Is this engine recoverable?

-

JGizmo

Reaction score
Took the head off of a rusty slant six and this is what the cylinders look like. The rocker arm/valves were covered in surface rust. Is this recoverable?
AC917532-0C23-400F-B2D4-D699C34291B1.jpg

Has it been rebuilt before, are there over sized pistons in it, & how much to you want to spend on it?

Pull pistons and clean the ring grooves, dingle ball hone it and run it. Its a slant...its replaceable. Whats the worst that could happen?

Send it to me. I'll recover that *****. I've brought back worse. Hell yeah, I'd save it. They ain't makin any more of um. If you scrap it, that's one less that'll never be here again.

By the looks of the Cake on #1 cylinder wall, would say the chances are poor.

Depends how deep the corrosion goes into those cylinder walls.

Man,, theres a alot of quitters on here with to much money, Pull it apart dingle hone it feel for indents and imperfections that can catch your finger nail. If they catch your nail bore it and smack.new pistons in the hole and run it. I built a 360 that was in my eyes no way.it was gonna work and 4 years later still gettin the dog beat out of her shes got blow by but.wow tbat engine gets beat

Man,, theres a alot of quitters on here with to much money, Pull it apart dingle hone it feel for indents and imperfections that can catch your finger nail. If they catch your nail bore it and smack.new pistons in the hole and run it. I built a 360 that was in my eyes no way.it was gonna work and 4 years later still gettin the dog beat out of her shes got blow by but.wow tbat engine gets beat
I know that's right!

I recently saved a 440 that was much worse. Was it financially worth it...probably not. Ended up needing two sleeves.

I have a slant six that was given to me by a member here. It was so rusted up I had to press the pistons out on my press. One cylinder was cracked badly. That's the only damage to that block. I will clean it up and get a sleeve put in it and get it bored .030. I cannot imagine how tough these will be to find in ten more years.

The OP asked if it's recoverable. The answer is "probably," but the only way to tell for sure is to rip it apart and assess how much machine work it'd take to bring it back to usable condition. I get (and understand) the value in saving an engine that would otherwise be scrapped, but you have to ask yourself - how much is your time worth? Where I'm at, you can pretty much get a running slant six for next to nothing. I'd give that one to the folks interested, and willing to spend the money on the machine work to bring it back from the dead, and spend a few bucks on a more usable core.

Last edited:
That is easy... Yes
If the connecting rods are still attached to the crank... which I'm sure they are.
Just pull the crank and carefully remove the pistons. The ugly one you may break and throw in the trash. Clean the cylinders and go from there. That is the toughest engine to kill ever made by mankind.

Last edited:
I have a slant six that was given to me by a member here. It was so rusted up I had to press the pistons out on my press. One cylinder was cracked badly. That's the only damage to that block. I will clean it up and get a sleeve put in it and get it bored .030. I cannot imagine how tough these will be to find in ten more years.
There are tons of old boats in the harbor. I thought all boats came with them at the end of the chain.

There are tons of old boats in the harbor. I thought all boats came with them at the end of the chain.
LOL May have. I wish I could find a cheap source for cores. I get um.

That is easy... Yes
If the connecting rods are still attached to the crank... which I'm sure they are.
Just pull the crank and carefully remove the pistons. The ugly one you may break and throw in the trash. Clean the cylinders and go from there. That is the toughest engine to kill ever made by mankind.
I killed one.... am I proud? No....

I was just up at @HemiSSDart's place today. he had a few, mostly still in 68-9 Darts. IDK the status of any of them, or what his plans for any of them may be.
He's holding a swap meet at his location in Rockford IL next Sunday. there will be others there, as well// also selling parts. What parts? I have no idea what others may bring. I may be there with a pick up load of various parts too. still thinking on that one.
I may have a slant engine available myself here, shortly, when the weather breaks. Depending on who you ask, might be pretty desirable. 85 truck engine, still runs like a sewing machine and just under 100k miles. (1st time around the mileage dial, as well) I just had it running yesterday. I connected up the battery, cranked and pumped it a few times, started right up. The last time before this that I'd started it up, was around Thanksgiving.

In the past, the 80s versions were shunned/ being hydro lifters and cast crank.... but as of late, many have been rethinking that, actually seeking out these engines, among the years of the lightest weight Slants ever built.... (excluding aluminum ones, anyway) I've read that race guys are now wanting these engines for their lighter weight (even among cast crank engines) cranks, and if I remember right, the blocks are a bit lighter weight, for the person wanting to shave every last ounce off of their car.
there was a thread somewhere (I believe from the /6 forum) asking what the "lightest /6 ever built" would have been. and this was what came up. Take one mid 80s short block, add a drool tube head (I have one of those here too!) Lighter crank= faster revving. I don't care so much about that, since I have a truck. and those are heavy anyways. I gotta be able to start and move this truck whenever needed for now, until I can get around to the swap, but once extracted and I hear the replacement run long enough to verify the rebuild went as planned, this original one will probably be up for sale. won't come with a distributor, may or may not come with a carb.
Gonna probably pull the truck pan and oil pickup, I have a nice '74 car pan and pickup that could go with it.

-
Back