Is this normal????

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
I am about to put the windshield in and realized that I really don't see anything for the bottom to hook around and seal. Should I just glue this spot? Will pressure hold it in?

'71 swinger with new gasket.
Thanks
-Ross-

2.JPG

3.JPG

I'm not sure but I'm gonna say to use some urethane adhesive on that part. Seems to me when I've taken them apart there was some goo that would get all over the dash bolts so there must have been something.

Also, your gonna want to put the dash frame in first anyway, you can't get to the top bolts when the windshield is in place.

Thanks I have been waiting to put the dash in until I have all the other windows in. I just finished the rolling up windows today so the dash will go in and then the windshield, I just didn't want water all over my brand new dash.

I am going to go with some windshield sealant on mine. I have installed one before with out and it leaked some. I do think the factory put some there though.

One other point in case you didn't realize, the headliner needs to be installed before the windshield and rear window is installed.

One other point in case you didn't realize, the headliner needs to be installed before the windshield and rear window is installed.

OMG! Thanks for saying that. I forgot (look at when I posted). That's one thing I don't like about these cars.

Thats an interesting point, I have been looking at past posts and about half the people say the headliner goes in first the other half say it goes in later. I'm thinking since I will have time I am going to put it in first.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=71308

Here is the link to the thread I started. I have no wisdom... yet. Still no headliner, and a cracked windshield. I've been delaying for

headliner insulation... Be Quiet brand? or the stock style? Cost? Effectiveness?

new gasket... Where did you get yours? How much?

It appears that the headliner can be installed with windshield in... but I think it will be more convenient with it out.

The headlinner stakes are easier to get at with the glass out. Upholstery shops dont pull the glasses to replace the headlinner though. The right tools are needed to attach the headlinner.

Do you see 2 little metal tangs bent upward that fit into slots on the bottom of the gasket ? I can't see one in the pic but the should be there.

Do you see 2 little metal tangs bent upward that fit into slots on the bottom of the gasket ? I can't see one in the pic but the should be there.

I will look for them when I get to the car today. I did have to fix a lot of rust in that area so if they were small they could be gone...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=71308

Here is the link to the thread I started. I have no wisdom... yet. Still no headliner, and a cracked windshield. I've been delaying for

headliner insulation... Be Quiet brand? or the stock style? Cost? Effectiveness?

new gasket... Where did you get yours? How much?

It appears that the headliner can be installed with windshield in... but I think it will be more convenient with it out.

I bought the rear gasket from danties and the front one I found at a swap meet for 15 bucks. The guy ordered the wrong one for his car and couldn't return it.

If you put a new head linner in before the windows, cover the head linner with a second skin of plastic like painter drop cloth or whatever to keep the window sealant off of it. A smuge of the butyl sealant on a new head linner is a tear jerker.

well it's in and so is the dash and heater box. I used a bit of glue to help seal everything, I will do a leak test in a bit to see what happens. I did not do the headliner because I ran out of time. I am trying to get everything sealed up before the rain comes Tuesday.

windsheild1.JPG

windsheild2.JPG

windsheild3.JPG

-
Back