Is this something i should be concerned with??

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was watering my trees and this came out from a hole at the base of the tree.

I'm in southeastern colorado
20230808_203328.jpg

20230808_203338.jpg

20230808_203344.jpg

20230808_203453.jpg

you might want to call your local whatever it is, farm related agency.

Let one sting you. See if you're concerned. lol

They are called Ground Yellow Jackets here in Texas. If they sting you, it hurts like HELL. Get with your local pest control and see what they offer.

They are called Ground Yellow Jackets here in Texas. If they sting you, it hurts like HELL. Get with your local pest control and see what they offer.
I ain't gonna argue, but that's the biggest DAMN yellow jacket I ever saw. Course they say everything's bigger in Texas.

One wouldn’t bother me, but you can bet I would be watching that spot for more activity.
Then decide what needs to be done if anything.

What does it taste like?
Salty is bad. That means that they are poisonous.
Sweet is harmless.

I was going to look for more then fire up the instant pot. Maybe with some fried rice because it probably came from Asia.
Find the hole it came from at dusk and dump some gas in it. Don't light it. Just dump and RUN. That will kill them all.

If you can reach them, stick the garden hose in the hole, turn on and leave it run for a while. This is best done at night while they are resting.

If you decide to try and kill them, do it at night when they are all in the nest.
Because they are ground wasps, I would spray the holes with proper stuff(not motor oil :realcrazy:), coat/spray one side of a sheet of plywood/Osb and lay it on ground over holes. Wear protection and run like the fn wind.

Don't stand over their nest hole while weed eating, I had that happen 7 or 8 years ago and holy crap I didn't even notice them except there was a yellow patch of movement on my black shorts , reproduction parts area lol. I swatted and was stung all over and couldn't count all the stings most were on my head and arms little fuckers. Luckily not any above mentioned parts lol.
I torch all of them now!!!

I had a nest in an above ground garden box I built for my wife, a few years ago a bastard heading into the box hit me inside my ear hole . I dumped 5 consecutive gallons of boiling water in the box, that cut the traffic down and I dug out the basketball size hive out at dusk. Wow

They make wasp spray that can shoot some distance. I use it frequently under the eaves of my barn. Let's me get the upper eave without getting on the roof. Takes about one can per 36' eave.
It often comes in 2 packs. I'd get a 2 Pack and hose the hole after dusk, from a distance. Even the bald face hornets here only make it a few feet once they get hit by the spray, and it tends to work all season. Albeit more slowly than when freshly applied.

There's just no way in HELL I'd pour gas and or diesel in it and light it off. You don't know what's under there for one thing. The last thing you need is to burn some **** down you don't want to. Gas kills them ON CONTACT.

Its a wasp of some sort. The exterminators use a special vacuum to suck them out. They usually have something in the vacuum that kills them. Wasps go somewhat dormant and slow at night. Get them when its cool and there is much less chance of getting stung.
This is a fun tool to use on bees. I use mine on hornets when they come in the garage.
Propane Torch

That’s a big one! Gasoline works-with or without a match. I’ve got a batch of these super aggressive African mosquitoes here in Michigan.

4FE690F8-8A10-4FA7-95C1-5C673CD90DEB.jpeg

-
Back