Is this the power steering reservoir?

-

MattP

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've got a ps fluid leak. Is this where to top it off?

E1FD2B17-1E72-475B-87CA-486BC70008C3-1507-000001ECAF573AAC.jpg

7905A068-16E6-4421-94B2-A294587C1707-1507-000001ECA962DFF2.jpg

look closely at the level of fluid. do not top tt off, just fill so you can touch the fluid
with your finger and go drive it and make some turns then check fluid level again,
These can be over filled and will make a mess.

look closely at the level of fluid. do not top tt off, just fill so you can touch the fluid
with your finger and go drive it and make some turns then check fluid level again,
These can be over filled and will make a mess.

How much below the top should it be? 2 knuckles or 3?

To check for a PS leak have someone get in the car and start it up. Turn the steering wheel slowly back & forth lock to lock.

You can be under the hood looking while your helper is doing this. If it's leaking, it will show up while it's running under pressure.

Hope it's something simple like overfilled...

Hoses and pump look dry enough. Those leak a lot and make a visible mess.
A very slow leak that isn't visible from the top might be the shaft seal just above the pitman arm.

Yes, the leak is under the car. The main cause of concern is I've started hearing a new noise that seems to be linked to the power steering. I havent topped it off, but my guess is that the shaft seal is leaking. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't running dry till I could fix it.

How much below the top should it be? 2 knuckles or 3?
I would say 1 1/2'' to 2'' from the very top MattP. fill it about 1/3 up the round filler neck :glasses7: park your car over cardboard and start your engine and do like 6pk2goDemon said, let it set and look at the cardboard
and that will give you a good idea where your loosing fluid.
It could be a hose or fitting :coffee2:

-
Back