Is this weird? 4 speed car has auto linkage

-

1MeanA

Reaction score
This is a bit of a head scratcher....perhaps I am going senile. While inspecting my new 4 speed '70 Swinger project and wondering what I have to remove to drop the engine and suspension out the bottom I see what appears to be column shift auto linkage in addition to the 4 speed z bar. Its connected to the column but nothing on the other end (obviously....it has a 4 speed in it). The column looks like a floor shift column at the top but not at the bottom as it has linkage. The build sheet say its a 4 speed and it looks to have a factory hump. It looks like power steering was added as it did not come with it. If someone changed the column out for the power steering (is it shorter?) why would they install the auto linkage on the frame? Perhaps I am missing something?
IMG_1582.jpg
IMG_1574.jpg
IMG_1580.jpg

I don't know but that clutch adjustment needs some fuckin' help, stat.

Edit,
IIRC those years had a steering lockout that locked the column when the key was removed, and I think it locked it in gear, too. (Again, IIRC).
I can't tell from photos, but my manual column has a finger lever you have to depress to remove the key, and I can't see it on your column.

Last edited:
Not an original 4 speed car.

Not an original 4 speed car.

It be that it's not an original Four-speed column, too. If they swapped it to add the power steering, they might've just added the crap from the four-speed column in the interior to complete the look.

That's what I did when I added the four-speed to my Dart, because that was the only parts I had at the time. My four-speed column was from a manual-steering car.

I don't know but that clutch adjustment needs some fuckin' help, stat.

Edit,
IIRC those years had a steering lockout that locked the column when the key was removed, and I think it locked it in gear, too. My conclusion on that is driven by the linkage coming off the column on the driver's side, not the passenger side like shift linkage (Again, IIRC).
I can't tell from photos, but my manual column has a finger lever you have to depress to remove the key, and I can't see it on your column.

reverse lockout i think.

Reverse lockout linkage makes sense....didn't know there was such a thing. I learned something new today. I don't believe that there is a finger switch at the key.

Reverse lockout linkage makes sense....didn't know there was such a thing. I learned something new today. I don't believe that there is a finger switch at the key.

Yep was a 1970 only thing you had to put the trans in reverse to lock the steering so the the switch would move to off to be able to remove the key.

And I think that's why they give you the reverse light, right? So you know that you're now able to shut off the engine, turn the key and lock the column.

Yep was a 1970 only thing you had to put the trans in reverse to lock the steering so the the switch would move to off to be able to remove the key.
Well how bout them apples? Thanks for the enlightenment.

Reverse lockout. I wasted NO time removing the "buzzer" and the reverse lockout in my 70 RR 440-6 back in the day.

I think brewers has the linkage for the lockout if you choose to put it back original.

I think brewers has the linkage for the lockout if you choose to put it back original.
I think its all there except from where it connects to the reverse shifter rod...if that is how it works. I'll probably disable or perhaps remove the whole mechanism.

There is, it's a little 'shelf' built into the portion of the column that would be where the shift lever mounts and pivots when shifting gears on an automatic or column shift car. It has a little decal with an arrow that says 'reverse' on it.
You can kind of see it here
s-l1000.jpg

And I think that's why they give you the reverse light, right? So you know that you're now able to shut off the engine, turn the key and lock the column.

So is the reverse light a one-year only deal? I thought I needed to add it to my car, but never did.

I don't understand; how are you supposed to steer in reverse it has a lock out on the column?

Last edited:
Looks like you have a 71 steering column and a 67 through 69 instrument cluster

1970 column didn't have the Flasher lights button below it only 71-72 did

Only 67 through 69 a body rally clusters had the Flasher light at the top of the instrument cluster

Late to the game here but yes, that's the '70-only steering column with the reverse-gear interlock for the ignition switch. In '71 they went to the push-down tab on the column with the little label.

I've been trying to find a good illustration of the bellhousing side of that setup, and I'm wondering if you have any pictures. I get conflicting reports about how it's configured and I've been unsuccessful finding any photos of it online.

I think its all there except from where it connects to the reverse shifter rod...if that is how it works. I'll probably disable or perhaps remove the whole mechanism.
It's pretty easy to disable; I believe you just leave the rearmost collar behind the wheel rotated fully counterclockwise. If you're considering removing those parts, I'd be interested in them. I'm looking at a '70 Swinger 340 that's worthy of a full-boogie restoration, including that setup.

I've been trying to find a good illustration of the bellhousing side of that setup, and I'm wondering if you have any pictures. I get conflicting reports about how it's configured and I've been unsuccessful finding any photos of it online.
Its all apart and in a box somewhere now as the car is stripped for restoration. The linkage bolts to the frame rail. I'll probably not reinstall it but keep it in case the next owner has to have it.

Its all apart and in a box somewhere now as the car is stripped for restoration. The linkage bolts to the frame rail. I'll probably not reinstall it but keep it in case the next owner has to have it.
If you don't reinstall it you'll have to jam that column lever up or you won't get the key out. That or you'll find yourself rotating the column collar with your hand at times to get the key out.

If you don't reinstall it you'll have to jam that column lever up or you won't get the key out. That or you'll find yourself rotating the column collar with your hand at times to get the key out.
It wasn't connected at the reverse lever so the PO may have done that. I'll check it out before I reassemble the car.

-
Back