Is windshield trim necessary?

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So like many before, I have a 67 Dart with the lock strip style windshield gasket that just rained on me on the inside of the car on the way to work this morning. I normally don't drive it in the rain, but I didn't have much choice today. I'm planning to just buy a 68/9 gasket to replace the 67 style with so I don't have to worry about the lock strip, but I didn't really want to get the snap on trim. Is the stainless trim necessary by any means or is it just there to look nice? If the window just has a black surround from the gasket without trim that doesn't really bother me for the time being.

Every thread I found has people saying to just upgrade everything to the later 68/9 style, but they all talk about getting the clips and trim as well. As far as I can tell they are just cosmetic, but I wasn't sure if there was a really big gap or something with the trim removed that would fill with water or something like that. Does anyone have a picture with the trim removed so I could see what it looks like?

The 67 gasket is larger and fills out the relief area in the body where the later model self locking gaskets are smaller. You'll have slightly larger voids in corners, more painted body showing. The stainless reveal moldings cover and hide these voids where water stands. So beyond their appearance they aren't required.

Hmm, guess that makes sense. I can't decide if I really want to sink the money in the trim or not since the car isn't really a show piece and more just a fun project/experiment with the 5.7 Hemi swap and T56. Anyone have any pictures with the trim removed just to see? Realistically I don't intend to drive in the rain if I don't have to and I keep the car covered most of the time, but covers seem to wear out pretty fast and I've still seen the traces of a trickle of water down the inside of the windshield when it's covered.

My '67 valiant is running with stock gaskets and no trim. it looks a bit unfinished from close up but from just a short distance is no problem, it does not leak. I'll try to post a pic close up but the car is in the members gallery without a close up if you'd like to take a look.
I think you'll be just fine.
By the way, at car shows no one has commented about that... and you know how some people are at car shows.

The problem with the 67 gaskets is that they are expensive, so far as I know. You may very well have about the same into new 67 gasket, as the combo of the 68 and the new trim

Someone on here posted long ago about a substitute for the lock strip. I don't remember, tho, what that was

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am), you need to have the glass out to install the trim clips if you decide to go with the trim down the road. Probably be a lot easier all done at once.

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am), you need to have the glass out to install the trim clips if you decide to go with the trim down the road. Probably be a lot easier all done at once.

Yes

The problem with the 67 gaskets is that they are expensive, so far as I know. You may very well have about the same into new 67 gasket, as the combo of the 68 and the new trim

Someone on here posted long ago about a substitute for the lock strip. I don't remember, tho, what that was

Yeah, that's sort of where I stand now. I have a 67 gasket with failing lock strips that is letting water past to the inside of the glass when the wind blows it up to the top of the windshield. I was planning to just buy a 68 gasket to replace the 67 one, but not get the clip on trim and just leave the gap. If I can find some used trim cheap enough that would work too.

The problem with the 68 gaskets and no trim is they will look like hell

I would add the trim if it was me, I put my windshield in with 69 stuff and didn't add the trim for a bit. It has about a 1/4-3/8 gap on all edges.. It doesn't look horrible but it's obvious it's not complete. Not sure if you can tell, but here is the best PiC I have

Attachments

• image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 210
The windshield was replaced on my 67 cuda in 1979, no lockstrip, no leaks, the guy used some sort of sealer. has last for 35 years.

I would add the trim if it was me, I put my windshield in with 69 stuff and didn't add the trim for a bit. It has about a 1/4-3/8 gap on all edges.. It doesn't look horrible but it's obvious it's not complete. Not sure if you can tell, but here is the best PiC I have

Hmm, I think I can get a reasonable idea from that. Mine has a bit of a gap already because a large portion of my lock strip is missing and the gasket is pretty dry and starting to curl a bit. I think it's actually leaking between the window and the gasket, not the gasket and the frame based on the way it was dripping this morning. The gasket actually looks dry on the inside, even when I can see water dripping. I'd try just getting new lock strip to fix it, but that gasket looks pretty weathered to me and if I'm going to have to pull the windshield anyway I'd rather just put something new and fresh in.

Do it right the first time. When you see how crappy it looks without the trim, you'll wish you had put it on, but to go back and fix it right, you'll have to pull the windshield again.

-
Back