Isn't 'Cuda a model, not a nickname?

-
That little ' mark takes the place of something that is missing;
Like when you write 'em for them, or couldn't for could not,etc.
So if you have a 'Cuda, what exactly is missing?
Oh wait, I might know this one;Doorstops,Boat-anchors and Slushboxes.
BTW those are endearing terms for Teeners,Slantys, and TorqueFlites.

Not to put to fine a point upon it.
Did someone say "Nova"?
Point, fishhook. Get it?
1962_Chevy_II_08_jpg.jpg
fishhoo,.jpg

Yep, Chevy did it too. In their case, All Nova's were Chevy II's but not all Chevy II's were Nova's.
The Chevrolet Chevy II/Nova is an automobile manufactured by Chevrolet, and produced in five generations for the 1962 through 1979, and 1985 through 1988 model years. Nova was the top model in the Chevy II lineup through 1968. The Chevy II nameplate was dropped,

The E-body Barracuda was now "able to shake the stigma of 'economy car'."[12] Three versions were offered for 1970 and 1971: the base Barracuda (BH), the luxury oriented Gran Coupe (BP), and the sport model 'Cuda (BS).[13] Beginning mid year 1970, and ending with the 1971 model, there also was the Barracuda Coupe (A93), a low-end model which included the 198ci Slant Six as a base engine, lower grade interior, and (like other Coupe series Chrysler Corp. offered that year) had fixed quarter glass instead of roll-down rear passenger windows. [14] The high-performance models were marketed as 'Cuda deriving from the 1969 option. The E-body's engine bay was larger than that of the previous A-body, facilitating the release of Chrysler's 426 cu in (7.0 L) Hemi for the regular retail market.[citation needed]

The base models were just Barracudas.

My nickname is Kuda and I'm a french model.... Why can't it be both????

:) I enjoy this thread.
I can´t call my ´68 a Hemicuda cause it´s not an E-Body. Hemicudas are E-Bodys, right... I don´t know... need help...

I'd say any a-body Barracuda with a Hemi has more right to be called a Hemi'cuda than a Hemi Cuda. The reason being, is there is a higher ratio of Hemi to 'cuda than there is of Hemi to Cuda.

Sorry, old school!

'Cuda were performance models meant to distinguish them from the standard models!

Marketing or not 'Cudas were only, and always high perfomance models!

Slang is fine but it distracts from the "Real Models" that were produced and labeled for such!

I ran into an old friend on Saturday and one of the first questions he asked me was....."You still got that old 'cuda you had in high school?" Of course, now that we should all understand that since Plymouth made cars with trim levels of 'cuda it is no longer correct to use the endearing term that was used for so many years for the other cars, I had to correct him. I told him I still have the 1964-1/2 Plymouth BARRAcuda that we had some fun times in back in the day. I told him I couldn't do any more burnouts or drag race any more because it's not a performance model. He gave me a rather odd look, but that's OK as I'm rather odd anyway...and he knows it!

Last edited:
I have run in to plenty of E-Body folks that swear until 1970 there was no such thing!

Even after showing them pic's of 69 340 and 383 'Cudas and even 440 'Cuda versions they laugh and argue the point! Ingnorance is bliss!

I have run in to plenty of E-Body folks that swear until 1970 there was no such thing!

Even after showing them pic's of 69 340 and 383 'Cudas and even 440 'Cuda versions they laugh and argue the point! Ignorance is bliss!

Yeah, E Body owners orbit the moron sector of Mopardom.

Hence my comment in post #2 :)

Well not that it matters, but I´m old school and have never, and will ever called my project anything but Barracuda.
On the other hand I never correct my friends when referring to it as the Hemi´cuda. Easier to say I guess...

I guess now, after more than 25 years of ownership, more than a decade of being The CudaChick (and now apparently 'sharing' my long-held handle with an apostrophied version of ANOTHER on this very board who has an Early A no less), I'll have to give it all up and become The BarracudaBabe1968 now.

Pfffftttttt screw that! It just doesn't hold the same lure for me so you guys will just have to deal with it.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="norshorblufish...."The base models were just Barracudas".[/QUOTE]

Just want to add my 2 ¢ to this... Almost from the get go... Peeps were calling the early Barracuda... 'Cuda... Even Chrysler used the nickname 'Cuda in a very early 65 advertising campaign.... (See & read attached photos)

Per Chrysler 1965 "After the Furys and the Belvederes and the Valiants. . .
No, that's not right. The " 'Cuda " doesn't really come after anything. It's more in a world of its own."

Besides... For Many years... My license plate reads... 65 CUDA... And I have no plans on changing it!!!!

PinkLady.jpg

IMG_20160627_145452.jpg

Last edited:
I guess now, after more than 25 years of ownership, more than a decade of being The CudaChick (and now apparently 'sharing' my long-held handle with an apostrophied version of ANOTHER on this very board who has an Early A no less), I'll have to give it all up and become The BarracudaBabe1968 now.

Pfffftttttt screw that! It just doesn't hold the same lure for me so you guys will just have to deal with it.

You're the original CudaChick, don't abandon the name and reputation that you've built up because of another... :soapbox:

(why can't we have both??? two Cudachicks...) :poke:

The E-body Barracuda was now "able to shake the stigma of 'economy car'."[12] Three versions were offered for 1970 and 1971: the base Barracuda (BH), the luxury oriented Gran Coupe (BP), and the sport model 'Cuda (BS).[13] Beginning mid year 1970, and ending with the 1971 model, there also was the Barracuda Coupe (A93), a low-end model which included the 198ci Slant Six as a base engine, lower grade interior, and (like other Coupe series Chrysler Corp. offered that year) had fixed quarter glass instead of roll-down rear passenger windows. [14] The high-performance models were marketed as 'Cuda deriving from the 1969 option. The E-body's engine bay was larger than that of the previous A-body, facilitating the release of Chrysler's 426 cu in (7.0 L) Hemi for the regular retail market.[citation needed]
The base models were just Barracudas.
Cuda Shmuda, Never mind all the text and comments, How the heck did my signature photo get installed at the bottom of your profile? That is supposed to be at the bottom of my profile page between the (sigpic) deals that were part of the instructions. (I never did get it to work) FWIW, that is two summers ago off the coast of Washington State at 5:30 AM leaving on a 70 mile tuna fishing run. It's one of my favorite photos!

9-10 Fishing 014.jpg

9-10 Fishing 013.jpg

Tuna in boat.jpg

Name change is not in order!

Slang is fine for the most. some of us call our cars what they are! Wish I had a 'Cuda so I could rub it in on the E-bodie folks!

You just proved my point

Early Barracudas were commonly referred to as a 'Cuda. They were called 'Cudas before it was a factory designation. At that time, EVERY Barracuda was a 'Cuda. They were not called Valiant Cudas because they were Barracudas, not Cudas. Now once the Cuda name was established and standardized, calling a Barracuda of that year a Cuda is uncouth. All that said, I would call any Barracuda I own a 'Cuda if I wanted to. The only people it would offend aren't the kinda people I would probably want to BS with about cars anyway...

Started calling them cudas in 1964 when 1st came out- only problem I would have is someone trying to pass off a reg Barracuda as a "Cuda" and misrepresenting it. Otherwise- if you want to call any a cuda- do so- if you get offended- lighten up- We are all Mopar bros and sisters......

-
Back