Issue with horn

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
My horn stopped working one day. On that day it was blowing but sound kept decreasing and stopped. So I bought a new horn. Installed it nothing still. So I checked the horn button I have installed due to aftermarket steering wheel. It's working according to my test light. I have it hooked to the power wire then to the wire going to the horn. When I use my test light and push the button it flashes when hooked to the horn connectors under the hood. I hooked the horn straight to battery and it blows. I also grounded the case but horn still did not blow. I disconnected the bulkhead connector and applied battery voltage but horn still did not blow....Horn does work hook straight to battery...Any suggestions? Inspection time soon come need everything working...lol

Most have a horn relay due to high current draw. Relay is usually on the radiator support near horn. horn switch applies a ground to the relay. sounds like bad wiring if you changed nothing. check all your fuses, horn is shared. don't apply battery voltage to bulkhead. factory passes ground through the bulkhead.

I had the same issue with aftermarket steering wheel and horn button. If the new horn has two connectors, one side is hot and other is a ground. The issue I had was the button itself. When pressed, it didn't allow the contact pad that is attached to the button to make complete contact. I think that is why your test light is flashing when pressed. I took a die grinder and took about a 1/16 off one side and had to take close to 1/8 off other side to get it flat. But, if it worked before....I would start with the wire from the bulkhead to the horn to verify a good connection and not burnt or broken. Giving you a partial connection. That is the easiest. Could be an old horn relay too.
~Brian

I don't know what aftermarket wheel you have. I only know the horn switch included with my aftermarket wheel kit was crap. 3 tiny plastic fingers meant to hold it together were no match for that spring. A couple hours at the workbench fixed it. There are 6 keepers in there now, made from 12 very small zip ties.
I honestly don't think any of the aftermarket horn switches are comparable to OEM.

Take the horn plug apart and see if the terminal is corroded (at the horn itself)

That same scenario just happened to me. The horn worked fine when tested directly to the battery, but not when in its place on the car. I went thru the whole gamut of tracing and testing wires, grounds, and the relay, but nothing changed. The horn next to it worked fine, so I finally grabbed a different old crappy horn from my secret spare parts stash, and it works great on the car. If you can get a different horn, try it next and maybe I become a hero for a day!

I had the same issue with aftermarket steering wheel and horn button. If the new horn has two connectors, one side is hot and other is a ground. The issue I had was the button itself. When pressed, it didn't allow the contact pad that is attached to the button to make complete contact. I think that is why your test light is flashing when pressed. I took a die grinder and took about a 1/16 off one side and had to take close to 1/8 off other side to get it flat. But, if it worked before....I would start with the wire from the bulkhead to the horn to verify a good connection and not burnt or broken. Giving you a partial connection. That is the easiest. Could be an old horn relay too.
~Brian

Yea the new horn has two connectors. On my car is one wire with two connectors so I plugged both up. I will run one to ground and see if it works.

The one wire with 2 connectors was probably for 2 horns. One high note, one low. They usually get the ground through the mounting bracket.

I'm having a similar issue in my 71 Scamp. last fall horn worked great. Now nothing. But when i press the buttons, i hear a subtle pinging noise coming from somewhere.... Is the relay on the 71 in the dash or in the engine bay.

every horn relay I seen was on the firewall in the motor bay.
hornrelay-gif.119285.gif
2012-05-12+dart+003-web.jpg

the "ping" happens with and without the key turned on :S. I checked out the wiring diagrams at MyMopar and 71 Valiant, 70 Valiant/Duster, and 70 Dart/Swinger are all different. Could it be behind the kick panel and thats why i hear the pinging?

Note: my key buzzer doesn't work and i believe its on the same relay, could it be a bad relay then?

sorry for the high jacking

Last edited:
the "ping" happens with and without the key turned on :S. I checked out the wiring diagrams at MyMopar and 71 Valiant, 70 Valiant/Duster, and 70 Dart/Swinger are all different. Could it be behind the kick panel and thats why i hear the pinging?

Note: my key buzzer doesn't work and i believe its on the same relay, could it be a bad relay then?

sorry for the high jacking
No problem. On my 72 Demon the horn relay is behind the drivers kick panel. From what I've seen the key relay is wired into that same relay. My wires are 12v is pink/violet... Signal wire to horn is green with a red tracer if I remember right. Black is ground from horn button. I replaced my horn relay and have to replace aftermarket horn button to get my problems fixed.

Don't overlook Pishtas post; all the info is right there.
Relays can make pinging noises, but it is usually covered up by the thing they are relaying,lol.The pinging means the signal side of the relay is working.
Another thing to consider is that it only takes a tiny bit of electricity to turn on a test light, whereas it takes much,much more electricity to operate the device that is being activated;the horn in this case.
Before you do anything, just make sure the body is grounded to the battery, and that the column is grounded to the chassis.There should be a little short wire from somewhere in the area behind the driver's side headlight or the driver's side of the rad core-support, going to the battery negative post.And there should be a jumper on the column going around one of the mounting posts,connecting the column to the post, which is connected to the chassis through several fasteners. Without that jumper the ground circuit would have to find the battery through a rather torturous path.So try these two first.
Then if still a no-honk,then I think you need to try and pull some amps through that relay.
To do this you will need to prove the relay is good;all 4 terminals.
Bring the horn directly to the relay,ground it and jumper it to the relay load hot-side (which goes to the battery).If it does not honk on the supposed-to-be-hot load side, then the issue is between the hot connection and the battery;go fix it.
But,If it does honk there, jumper the horn to the load-side relay-side and hit the horn button.A honk now, indicates a problem between the relay and the horn's underhood location, OR it COULD mean the signal side is defective,and for a no-honk, we need to dig deeper.leave the horn jumpered there for a bit.
To find out which, jumper the ground side of the signal circuit,and turn the key on. A no honk now, means still, that the issue could be at the underhood location, and still could be at the relay, to its power side.Turn the key off.
To find out which, leave the signal side ground jumper installed, and jumper the other signal side terminal to a known good battery supply, like the previously proven or repaired load hot-side terminal which we already proved goes to the battery. A honk now, indicates that the signal side of the relay itself is good, but that it's power supply is faulty.Go fix it.After fixing the power side, you need to recheck the horn button side, by removing the jumper there and restoring the connection to the horn button. Press the button.A no-honk now means the circuit from there to the horn button is faulty.
Once the signal side of the relay is proved to be good, and the circuit is good,including the horn button, and if it then still does not honk from the underhood location, then the wire from there to the relay, by process of elimination, is proven to be bad. Go find the problem area and fix it.
The bulkhead connector is a popular trouble spot.The relays last for decades upon decades.It's case does not require grounding. None of its circuits are fused,AFAIK. It does however pull power thru the fusible link. But if that is faulty, the car would neither crank nor run,nor would the headlights work.
Good luck.
I know it sound complicated, but it's not. It is just a process of jumpering connections and/or eliminating those 4 circuits. Pishtas drawing is really nice; it clearly shows were everything is coming and going.

Last edited:
On my car the bulkhead connector are mis-labled. L and T are reversed

On my car the bulkhead connector are mis-labled. L and T are reversed
Well that would suck,lol
It's a good thing that they are on different sections and connectors.And that neither of them is directly grounded.But I bet it could be a nightmare to figure out if one was colorblind.

Well that would suck,lol
It's a good thing that they are on different sections and connectors.And that neither of them is directly grounded.But I bet it could be a nightmare to figure out if one was colorblind.
Just off the top of my head, One of them is the horn circuit and the other goes to the starter relay

So looked behind the kick panel... no relay....then I notice a dark green wire with red tracer going behind one of those metal doors. Open it up...BINGO! But wait, it's a plastic relay and the key buzzer wire not able to be connected to it. I opened the relay up and the contacts were corroded and didn't seem to make contact right. Cleaned it, bent the tab just slightly. Now the horn works :)

-
Back