It’s that time of the year

-

dart4forte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Local ladies out on their morning walk ran across this guy

2230E118-00C2-4666-8B15-F8B15B64E55F.jpeg

My stepdaughter told me she ran over one on the way to our house today, said she ran up on it before she realized what it was. They get in our sheds and out buildings. Ours are eastern timber rattlers.

imagejpeg_2_40.jpg

My stepdaughter told me she ran over one on the way to our house today, said she ran up on it before she realized what it was. They get in our sheds and out buildings. Ours are eastern timber rattlers.

View attachment 1715525790
They are around here in PA too and every good trout angler who ventures out to fish the mountain streams in Spring knows to look for them. I used to wear hip high snake gaiters when fishing the streams of PA in the Spring. When they are cold in the early part of the day, they don’t always rattle before they strike. I bounced more than one off my gaiters in the early hours of the day over the decades.

Fortunately, when they are cold, they don’t strike hard.

New Mexico here and the neighbors have spotted a few snakes but no rattlers yet reported. Been a couple years since I've seen one at all.

SAWED OFF 12 GA. WORKS WONDERS ON THEM !

Haha...story!

The first rattler I came across after moving here was the one my dog found. Well, he's a curious lad and none too sharp and I was terrified that curiosity was about to claim another cat. I managed to pull my boy away, thankfully, but can't leave this thing in the lot to strike later so I ran in the house to get just what you said and my wife was like, "You can't go firing that thing in the neighborhood!!" Had to do the deed with a friggin' shovel.

Haha...story!

The first rattler I came across after moving here was the one my dog found. Well, he's a curious lad and none too sharp and I was terrified that curiosity was about to claim another cat. I managed to pull my boy away, thankfully, but can't leave this thing in the lot to strike later so I ran in the house to get just what you said and my wife was like, "You can't go firing that thing in the neighborhood!!" Had to do the deed with a friggin' shovel.

I have lit off a 12 more than once or twice , and birdshot in a 38 pistol , wont fire any slug type rounds tho/mostly 1 acre lots ---------
still careful where pulling the trigger !

We have garters, racers, copperheads, water snakes, black snakes, and supposedly eastern diamondback rattlers. Never saw a rattler around here, though.
DSC01006.JPG

-
Back