It’s Winter. Let’s discuss strokers. How much faster

-
But what if it’s not needed. The .20-.30 max that most guys would see could create traction issues and go slower. Chassis work is a lost science to many.
The bigger engine will cover up a multitude of performance sins. I've seen lesser built 440's with less gear and cast heads go 10.5's and the same day a 496 stroker "bigger built" and more gear go 11.2's. Some guys go 15.2's with their "hopped up" 340 street cars and others go 12.4's with an equally built car. So go big and it will cover up a lot of what a guy doesn't know.

So, if you were to add 1/4" stroke to the crank, and all else remains the same in the engine, would adding some length to the camshaft duration be worthwhile in order to take full advantage of the longer stroke?

It really depends on the induction system. One you’ve outrun the heads, adding duration will only kill bottom end power.

And what about piston speed?...
Piston rock because of shorter skirt?..
:popcorn:...

I think larger bragging rights to the guy who cleans house, then says it is stock stroke.

haha…. On that front, quick story..
Had my old Duster at Osceola dragstrip( Northern Indiana) years ago.W5 stroker.
Very stock looking car, backseat still in it, uncut, not minitubbed, yada, yada. Kinda a sleeper, all steel.
I unloaded it, made my first time hit, 9.87, wheels way up.
Vic Bloomer comes over to my pits( first time i ever met him).He goes….”very impressive, whats it weigh, its a stroker, right”?
I go, it weighs 3350 with me( it did) and its just a 30 over 340, not a stroker….that really got his attention…..wasnt until later that day i fessed up….its a 422…..lol

Something to think about
If you want to use a 318 as your foundation.... stroke it & use well ported 360 heads OR some cheap chicon aluminum heads with a good performance valve job. Simple .500 lift 'or around' and 280 duration ... lsa depends on the rest trans type & gears. It'll rev up if you want..but bring all the torque you want at any rpm. You'll never get caught with your pants down on any road... unless your tires suck... then get ready to steer yourself straight again.
But basically...
Don't get sucked into the underdog crowd who romanticizes over a cid...cause that's nothing but a short dick contest with a bunch of guys looking over at the urinal saying how proud they are of their short dk

If HP=TQ*RPM (and it does) you can’t ignore the RPM apart of the equation. If you add stroke and drop 500-700 RPM, you lost peak power and moved peak TQ down.

You also have to run less gear. It’s easier to move the car with gear than it is with stroke.
I turn them all the same. 7200 rpm.

Only gains.
Folks talking about less rpm and yadda yadda seem to be drawing from **** they've read or traditional rational of long strokes engines... they'll all rev if you build them that way. As for the heads... a 275-300cfm 185cc-195cc port is a nice hole for a stroker to breath from...I guess to stay in op's selected parts lot... both cid's can do just fine with his worked heads.
Maybe theres more power to be found in the smaller cid than thought..... but I dont assume it's more or usable in his combo without mayne changing the car-gear/convertor.

The bigger engine will cover up a multitude of performance sins. I've seen lesser built 440's with less gear and cast heads go 10.5's and the same day a 496 stroker "bigger built" and more gear go 11.2's. Some guys go 15.2's with their "hopped up" 340 street cars and others go 12.4's with an equally built car. So go big and it will cover up a lot of what a guy doesn't know.
Power you can get to the pavement vs power you can't.

It's the car and how its setup.
You can put more power than the setup can hook and its worthless..a liability.
Race car vs Joe's car.

We arent trying to create abominations or flawed examples here, put the obvious aside.

I turn them all the same. 7200 rpm.

Only gains.
Folks talking about less rpm and yadda yadda seem to be drawing from **** they've read or traditional rational of long strokes engines... they'll all rev if you build them that way. As for the heads... a 275-300cfm 185cc-195cc port is a nice hole for a stroker to breath from...I guess to stay in op's selected parts lot... both cid's can do just fine with his worked heads.
Maybe theres more power to be found in the smaller cid than thought..... but I dont assume it's more or usable in his combo without mayne changing the car-gear/convertor.

You can turn both engines the same rpm, but one won’t make the same power at that rpm. Unless you have accounted for difference in cross section requirements and cam timing.

haha…. On that front, quick story..
Had my old Duster at Osceola dragstrip( Northern Indiana) years ago.W5 stroker.
Very stock looking car, backseat still in it, uncut, not minitubbed, yada, yada. Kinda a sleeper, all steel.
I unloaded it, made my first time hit, 9.87, wheels way up.
Vic Bloomer comes over to my pits( first time i ever met him).He goes….”very impressive, whats it weigh, its a stroker, right”?
I go, it weighs 3350 with me( it did) and its just a 30 over 340, not a stroker….that really got his attention…..wasnt until later that day i fessed up….its a 422…..lol

Another short story. My first car was a 1970 six cylinder (300) that I learned how to tune on. I raced almost anything back then but it was a time period where almost everything made had a doggie 350 Chevy in them. Most of the guys were older but knew me so after I beat them and we stopped to BS they always said “what’s in that thing”. I would always tell them a 302 and they would be happy they weren’t beat by a 6 cylinder. My buddy’s would crack up laughing.

Power you can get to the pavement vs power you can't.

It's the car and how its setup.
You can put more power than the setup can hook and its worthless..a liability.
Race car vs Joe's car.

We arent trying to create abominations or flawed examples here, put the obvious aside.
Now I didn't say anything about traction, right?. The big block example I gave were both drag cars with slicks, nobody spun. Getting a car to work is more than just "hooking up", though that's the beginning.

Boo strokers....bring on the all out stock stroke 360 with gobs of compression, a solid roller and trickflows.... just kidding.. no experience with strokers but plan to build one some day. That stock stroke 360 would be cool to see though.

Now I didn't say anything about traction, right?. The big block example I gave were both drag cars with slicks, nobody spun. Getting a car to work is more than just "hooking up", though that's the beginning.
And.... in no wise am I stating I'm against stroker builds. Not at all. It think more cubes offers more opportunities. But, I'm just say'n many use "big cubes" to make up for what they are unable to accomplish (or should have accomplished) with a stock stroke. And that's ok too. Their money, their build, I have no issue with it!

So, if you were to add 1/4" stroke to the crank, and all else remains the same in the engine, would adding some length to the camshaft duration be worthwhile in order to take full advantage of the longer stroke?

Mmmmmm duration. It’s like crack to a crack addict. Makes me think back to the old 332 duration, [email protected] we ran back in the 1980’s. To quote an old dirt track magazine I read. “We don’t know how those cars even start”. Lol.

This reminds me..... I did a thread a long time ago on "Stock stroke 340's/360's vs Stroked 340's/360's". All throttle. Seems if I remember right the fastest times posted were stock stroke engines. I could be wrong.

...:popcorn:...:popcorn:...:popcorn:...
Excuse me I need to go get some omeprazole... I've been eating too much popcorn...:rolleyes:...

You can turn both engines the same rpm, but one won’t make the same power at that rpm. Unless you have accounted for difference in cross section requirements and cam timing.
Luckily I was speaking for his heads...that are worked for a max effort deal, and I believe for his existing or once existed stroker.
You didn't say a lot in that post, period. You left out much and made it a fog cloud for debate. "Hooking up" isn't the beginning...but that's okay, right before the left...left before the right.. idc. You have power...then you have to transfer it to the track..point being youre still talking about poor combinations and guys that cant dial it in...and that's not what or who we are discussing. That variable aside...

Last edited:
Boo strokers....bring on the all out stock stroke 360 with gobs of compression, a solid roller and trickflows.... just kidding.. no experience with strokers but plan to build one some day. That stock stroke 360 would be cool to see though.

that stock stroke 360 i just replaced last season for a stroker that went 11.26( at 3320 pounds) was 10 to 1 with very mild eddies and a flat tappet. That was with a 727.
Went out and bought a 904, swapped it in, never got it back in the 11.20’s after the swap. Was figuring it would go 0’s or teens after doing that. No such luck. Still scratching my head on that one. Suspect the new vert was too loose…..

Have we got to the point where somebody built a stroker and said they didn't like it?.

This reminds me..... I did a thread a long time ago on "Stock stroke 340's/360's vs Stroked 340's/360's". All throttle. Seems if I remember right the fastest times posted were stock stroke engines. I could be wrong.

yep, you are wrong. Strokers i have had have been 3-5 tenths quicker than stock stroke, including the swap from a 360 to a 418 i just made last offseason. Posted about it earlier in thread, used same cam, headers, heads( minor work on heads before putting them on the stroker)….picked up 1/2 a second with just more compression and maybe 20 horse worth of head work…. Plus i sold my trick 950 i had on the 360 and replaced it with an 850 brawler( only because the carb, red and black, matched my engine paint scheme..red and black..lol….. i know the 950 would have picked up ET over this Brawler..shouldn't have sold it. stupid me.

It really depends on the induction system. One you’ve outrun the heads, adding duration will only kill bottom end power.

but if you have a big vert, bottom end power at the track is a non factor. And more duration generally will make more power in the upper rpm range.
My vert flashes 5k… motor lives between 5/6500 whole length of track… if i pulled my 260/264 cam out, bumped the duration up to 265, car would be faster, would bet on it…. This all assumes compression isn't a limiting factor.

but if you have a big vert, bottom end power at the track is a non factor. And more duration generally will make more power in the upper rpm range.
My vert flashes 5k… motor lives between 5/6500 whole length of track… if i pulled my 260/264 cam out, bumped the duration up to 265, car would be faster, would bet on it…. This all assumes compression isn't a limiting factor.

I agree 100%.

yep, you are wrong. Strokers i have had have been 3-5 tenths quicker than stock stroke, including the swap from a 360 to a 418 i just made last offseason. Posted about it earlier in thread, used same cam, headers, heads( minor work on heads before putting them on the stroker)….picked up 1/2 a second with just more compression and maybe 20 horse worth of head work…. Plus i sold my trick 950 i had on the 360 and replaced it with an 850 brawler( only because the carb, red and black, matched my engine paint scheme..red and black..lol….. i know the 950 would have picked up ET over this Brawler..shouldn't have sold it. stupid me.
What was your N/A ET for your small block ?

My stock stroke 360 ran 10.20. I now have a 340” and I have dipped in the 9’s without pushing the car hard. I don’t have a license to run 9’s so I slowed the car down. I would run faster is I raised the shift points and fine tuned to get it maxed out. But I can’t run any faster so no need.
I’m guessing I’m the only one at my home track that isn’t running a 4” stroker crank.

Is a stroker better, I’m not so sure

My stock stroke 360 ran 10.20. I now have a 340” and I have dipped in the 9’s without pushing the car hard. I don’t have a license to run 9’s so I slowed the car down. I would run faster is I raised the shift points and fine tuned to get it maxed out. But I can’t run any faster so no need.
I’m guessing I’m the only one at my home track that isn’t running a 4” stroker crank.

Is a stroker better, I’m not so sure
This is kind of my point ^^. Like PBR posted, people don't "ask questions", just beller "408". To me, if a guy is building a "bracket-drag only A-body", I absolutely do NOT see the need for a "408" and end up running 11's. 70aarcuda has how many lower 10 second cars stock stroke ? PBR mid 9's stock stroke ? I seen a 3200 lbs demon go 10.9's on a stock stroke/cast head/cast iron intake and TQ. 5500 stall and 4.56 gears in a 2900 lbs drag car, whose looking at bottom end torque under 3k rpm's? Now a truck, van, or street car with a 2400 stall and 3.23 gears, then I see a huge benefit in a stroker.

-
Back