It begins again - 512 Stroker

-
As far as this thread goes, it's all good input & I appreciate it.
My first rebuild was a Lawson 1cyl ditch pump at age of 13. A "take home" from the oil fields in Long Beach, Ca. After numerous flat head port & relieve jobs I started enhancing Mopars & discovered the power of a Hemi. 60yrs later, things haven't changed much. I enjoy doing the head work & don't need a flow bench to feel good about my efforts. OK, I'm not a purist but can still make enough power to induce vertigo. Hopefully this build will keep me outside of a pine box for a little bit longer. Hi hi

Someone along the way in this thread mentioned using the MPP templates. I had a machinest use them on a set I had done and they leaked in quite a few cylinders and had to be epoxied to repair the leaks. Something to consider.

Wow! First time I have heard that. I cut may templates on the lines and carefully sanded the line away just to ensure they weren't too large. Way back then I felt it better to go with slightly less flow rather than trash a set of heads. I can see if you don't orientate them carefully you could remove material in the wrong spots.

Just a Quick update to this thread.

PenstaStarPro passed away January 26th, 2022. He was 75. He was a great father-in-law, Grampa to my kids, a Husband, a Father and Old School Salt Flat Racer. He was a gear head at heart, and loved building engines. He has a 451 and a 512 on start carts ready to go in his garage. Possibly, one of those may make it's way into the Boosted Barracuda in place of the 5.7 Hemi. It would be a great tribute to Clint, as the Barracuda was once his, and is now nearly complete. Except for the engine. Rest in Peace Clint.

Last edited:
So sorry for you and your families loss. The best ones never can be with us long enough.

Last edited:
I get a kick out of this thread,
The old fellow was correct you can make hp with iron heads I have been since the 80s. A set of prepared 915s will cost you less hp than you think compared to TF240s.

Just a Quick update to this thread.

PenstaStarPro passed away January 26th, 2022. He was 75. He was a great father-in-law, Grampa to my kids, a Husband, a Father and Old School Salt Flat Racer. He was a gear head at heart, and loved building engines. He has a 451 and a 512 on start carts ready to go in his garage. Possibly, one of those may make it's way into the Boosted Barracuda in place of the 5.7 Hemi. It would be a great tribute to Clint, as the Barracuda was once his, and is now nearly complete. Except for the engine. Rest in Peace Clint.
Dam it!
To many good ones leaving us.
Sorry for your loss, it's never easy.
RIP

I get a kick out of this thread,
The old fellow was correct you can make hp with iron heads I have been since the 80s. A set of prepared 915s will cost you less hp than you think compared to TF240s.

It was funny watching the tone change once the old timer started throwing around stories from the hay day.

I'm not trying to ruffle things up but there was a time when you were BUILDING horse power it took an engine builder, nowadays we seem to have engine assemblers quick to order whatever you need. I had a friend who passed in 14 who was a engine builder, he modified most every part to make it perform at it's best. His 64 300k ran 11.0s with a stocker 440. Thats stock heads/stock valves/stock compression in a 4100lbs car.
The 440 was for a 1970 sixpack Cuda that he built in the 80s and bought it back.
I hope this isn't a dying breed.
I know the stock appearing guys have plenty of tricks up there sleeves...

-
Back