Its me again lol

-
Okay, and yes my mechanical advance gives 20* so gets a bit loud under the hood to say the least, but I think that was also because the oil / distributor gear was advanced and I had to roll it back 1 teeth set to get it lined up right. So I'll try 16 and that should put me at 36* all in. I have the blue stock springs in the distributor right now I may put one stiffer black spring in and see what happens... or get a limiting kit and just stop it where I like. Any objections to the mr gasket limiting kit?... I would only be using the stops anyways.

LAST TIME FOR ME...

What is the timing IN GEAR!!!!

You may have a situation where timing is dropping out when pulled in gear/lower RPM. THAT CAN NOT HAPPEN. Check it to make sure that idle timing is the same reading in gear and p/n.

That much rpm drop is usually from a vacuum leak or timing drop out. That cam and 14-16* idle timing shouldn't drop more than about 75-100 rpm, IMO. 200 is too much for the set up.

LAST TIME FOR ME...

What is the timing IN GEAR!!!!

You may have a situation where timing is dropping out when pulled in gear/lower RPM. THAT CAN NOT HAPPEN. Check it to make sure that idle timing is the same reading in gear and p/n.

That much rpm drop is usually from a vacuum leak or timing drop out. That cam and 14-16* idle timing shouldn't drop more than about 75-100 rpm, IMO. 200 is too much for the set up.
I'm warm in the truck up right now as I type t hi is I'll let you know in a few.

Okay, so I'm not losing timing in gear. At 16* I start losing idle screw function. I may back it down a little to 12* and see how much function I have.

I may have a vacuum leak, but it isnt around the carb. I just checked... unfortunately this truck runs everything off vacuum... the 4wheel drive, the heater/ a/c doors, the brakes. So now I'm chasing vacuum lines to see if there is 1. I still have a small stutter, but not nearly as bad as it was. I'm at 12* and wondering if it needs to drop a little more. Having almost no idle set screw at 16* is odd to me. Is it unheard of for a cam like this to run at such low timing * ?

The T-blades do not have the mounting holes centered, they are deliberately offset. This is done to help the blades self close, a safety thing.

Cool, my suggestion. Isolate the intake tract, nothing hooked up, everything plugged off. See if the drop is the same or tightens up. If it tightens up, hook up one thing at a time (preferably one hose it it has a branch set up) until you find the culprit.

You should be able to kill the engine with the idle speed set screw. Something is hanging it up. Same with the air mix screws. SHould kill the engine, no problem, if the blades are set correctly.

I'd be looking at 12-16 idle timing with that cam. Stock 318's like 10-14

This is an LA 360... does it run the same vacuum as an 318? And I will start plugging things up, just as soon as the wife gets home. My kids are here now and if I take my eyes off them for 1 second I'll be fixing something else lol

-
Back