Ive become Mr Smith

-

Steve welder

Reaction score
Smith isn't the real name but here's the story
I moved into my house in spring of 1976 we just turned 24 and had a three month old. We were the youngest family on the street. Mr Smith lived across the street with his wife of over 50 years, he was a retired stationary engineer
A guy who could fix almost anything, always had some contraption he was making or fixing, maintained his own car.....I was told he re shingled his roof at 70 which is my age now
I would say he was in his later seventies when we moved into our home.....He fast became my favorite neighbor and I spent a lot of time hanging out with him or giving him a hand
When it snowed the minute it stopped I had to be out shoveling or he'd beat me to it. When my wife was pregnant with my son and I was working the midnight shift, my wife told me he did our walk
When my son was about 2 he really liked Mr Smith, often calling his name.
Of course I knew Mr Smiths first name but back than we always addressed older neighbors as Mr and Mrs, something thats lost today but thats another story
Mrs Smith passed away and Mr Smith lived alone for some more years, as he hit his nineties he sold his house and moved in with his son up in New England, he passed away a few years after that
Last spring a nice young couple their early thirties moved next door to me. They have a little boy who turned two over the summer. My new neighbors are wonderful, the little boy knows my name and always calls for me when I see him outside with his father.......Yesterday they became proud parents to another baby boy......
46 years later im still living in on this street, all the old people who lived around me are long gone, nice young couples with young children moved in.....Did that time ever fly by
I sat in my kitchen today across from my wife and said we were the Mr and Mrs Smith now and she told me I surely was, she was right

Circle of life right there man. Looks like you and your wife fit those shoes the Smiths left. And it sounds like the Smiths left some solid footsteps for you to follow in. You better believe that couple next store is watching you and your wife the way you watched the Smiths. Show ‘em how it’s done!

I can totally relate, I’m 61 live in the house I grew up in, when my parents first moved into the neighborhood they were the young couple. Over the years I’ve seen the remaining people on my street where I’ve grown up with either pass away or sell and move to a retirement home. Now I’m the older guy and never thought I would be there as quickly as I have.

I can totally relate, I’m 61 live in the house I grew up in, when my parents first moved into the neighborhood they were the young couple. Over the years I’ve seen the remaining people on my street where I’ve grown up with either pass away or sell and move to a retirement home. Now I’m the older guy and never thought I would be there as quickly as I have.
I was at a Bros Memorial. Passed in his 30s. Preacher lit a match, saying " This is you in eternity" and blew it out. I'll never forget that.

Of course you know the name "Smith" is derived from people who actually did the job of working with metal or mechanical things-

Blacksmith
Tinsmith
Silversmith

ETC

...and "Kramer" is German for Smith, esp Blacksmith IIRC.

The circle of life, like he said.
Too bad, seems like more than a few now consider "older people" as an inconvenience and a $ drain on them.

I live out in the country with very few neighbors. Two of them a certified assholes. I don't speak to them. Then there is Ray. He is 69. I looked forward to his retirement every time he claimed he was going to. We have worked together on his vehicle or mine, his well or mine, always there for one another. If he would retire, we could take on some larger projects. He has always wanted to screen in his patio at back of house. I want to do a little remodel at the front of my house to add a handicap ramp.
Last time, he planned to retire at his 67 birthday, October of 2020. Changed his mind again.
He works in maintenance for Greenville County so there is no guessing what his retirement is worth. His father owned a huge piece of farmland right behind Wren High Schools football stadium. Ray and his sister split a wheelbarrow full of money when that sold. 250K homes all over it now. Anyway...
Ray and I first worked together in a textile mill. I recall 3 workers who fell dead on the job.
He was one of those who refused to get a covid shot. Then he got the first variant, Delta maybe? He said, "I've been an idiot. I'll get my shots from now on". I said, "I understand. You can't fall dead on the job like a lint head if some virus kills you". Didn't sway him a bit.
Every one of my other friends have died off. God bless their souls. So Ray and I wouldn't really need to have a project going on somewhere all the time. I aint able to do much these days anyway. Just to get together, drink coffee, and talk trash most days would suit me fine.

Similar story here too.
My 'ex' and I moved into a brand new house November of 1972. We were the youngest couple on our 7-house cul-de-sac. Our kids came later.
Here I am 50 years later and still in the same home. I have one neighbor who is still an original owner, his wife passed several years ago. Both of us have watched our respective kids grow up and move on.
The other five houses have all sold multiple times as other families have moved in, kids grown, and move on.
Circle of life indeed.
Where did the time go?

I'm 44 now. So primed to be the old guy down the street; someone's gotta do it. No kids. Gonna die alone, I know that for a fact. Sometimes it scares the hell out of me, sometimes not. Sometimes I'm sure I'll meet God. Someone I can only imagine going back to the nothingness I was before I was born, and that terrifies the piss right out of me.

The saddest part is being as smart as I am, but not being smart enough to figure out how to leave a legacy.

I had the same guy , Mr. Eggy, a Japanese fellow that had survived the internment camps and came back to be a successful farmer, then locksmith . He had every tool known to man. One time when I was about 14, my father and I were up on the roof putting on new shingles . At the end of one of the rows the shingle was about 3 inches short and my Dad said “go over to Mr. Eggy and get his shingle stretcher “. Knowing that he had every tool known to man he must have this one also. I dutifully climb down the ladder and went over to the neighbor and as I was asking him my dad just started laughing and so did Mr. Eggy, lol. Brings a tear to my eye, both those guys were the best!

I was he can fix or have the know how and or clean help with what ever it takes guy since the day I moved here.
But I live on a one way street where only I help and no one helps me.
I am also old Mr Smith but my neibors are idiots so help very few of them now. The good ones moved sadly

I'm 44 now. So primed to be the old guy down the street; someone's gotta do it. No kids. Gonna die alone, I know that for a fact. Sometimes it scares the hell out of me, sometimes not. Sometimes I'm sure I'll meet God. Someone I can only imagine going back to the nothingness I was before I was born, and that terrifies the piss right out of me.

The saddest part is being as smart as I am, but not being smart enough to figure out how to leave a legacy.
Keep sharing that knowledge. The legacy will follow. It has no choice man.

I was adopted as an infant and raised by good folks. They provided everything I needed and taught me a work ethic in their business. But nothing about real life, or living. What I needed was a mentor. Someone that cared but was also not responsible for my upbringing.

If you can become a mentor for young adults or even children, you can have an enormous influence on their lives. Teach them right from wrong, show them how to do things, and most of all explain why people behave the way they do. Tell them not all folks are rocket scientists, and not all folks process their thoughts the same way others do. But they are good people anyway. Most of us can think of a time where even a single brief word of encouragement at the right time had a profound positive influence on us. Be that person who is there for someone at the right time.

Become a Big Brother, or a Boy Scout troop leader, or 4H leader, or coach a team. Or volunteer at a suicide prevention center, anything. Something that will bring you into contact with younger folks and give you the opportunity to set the example. Ultimately you might end up having a greater legacy than if you had a bushel of your own kids.

I was adopted. My dads name is Bobby. Once in a while I'll say something with THAT attitude and/or tone of voice and my son will say, "Alright papa or Bobby",with a sarcasm tone of voice. I guess a lot of us emulate a parent or whoever had the most influence on us during our upbringing.

I was adopted as an infant and raised by good folks. They provided everything I needed and taught me a work ethic in their business. But nothing about real life, or living. What I needed was a mentor. Someone that cared but was also not responsible for my upbringing.

If you can become a mentor for young adults or even children, you can have an enormous influence on their lives. Teach them right from wrong, show them how to do things, and most of all explain why people behave the way they do. Tell them not all folks are rocket scientists, and not all folks process their thoughts the same way others do. But they are good people anyway. Most of us can think of a time where even a single brief word of encouragement at the right time had a profound positive influence on us. Be that person who is there for someone at the right time.

Become a Big Brother, or a Boy Scout troop leader, or 4H leader, or coach a team. Or volunteer at a suicide prevention center, anything. Something that will bring you into contact with younger folks and give you the opportunity to set the example. Ultimately you might end up having a greater legacy than if you had a bushel of your own kids.
That little handshake icon don't have enough "oomf" so I wanted to say it in person.

Thank you.

-
Back