J head porting

-
I went from home ported 2.02 j heads to cleaned up eddy's and gained nothing. If you go aluminum get the trick flow's or have the eddy ported..
His is anFAST car so I believe the aluminum Edelbroxks are out.
But I agree that the ported iron heads are better than a Edelbrock head OOB.

This is what I said for a long while way back on people spending there money on the Edel. Head in looking for what many weee saying, just a little more power.

If doing a valve job on the stock valve and bowl porting with some short side work was cheaper, why the Edel head? The answer was almost always, because it’s lighter and normally accompanied by is cheaper.

I don’t know of anyone charging the (old) price ($1200 or so for the pair of heads) for the work I described above but…. As long as there happy!!!! Not my money being spent.

still plugging away, the chambers are done, hand deshroud, intake guides milled down about .200, exhaust about .030. Exhaust bowl blended, still need to work around the guide boss and profile the roof hump. How much can I knock down the hump?? I’m thinking only around .010 to .020 after knocking out the old core plugs and taking a peek.

IMG_5327.jpeg

IMG_5328.jpeg

IMG_5330.jpeg

IMG_5331.jpeg

Got rid of the guide tail. Still a little work to do narrowing down the guide.

IMG_5348.jpeg

IMG_5349.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice work and well worth doing!

A little fat on the backside of the guide maybe?

These were done by Weslake Eng. in 1970 UK

IMG_5349.jpeg

20200529_113037.jpg

Are you saying those SM heads that flow 250 ootb are looking better and better?
Yep, I’d have a pair of those rectangle chunks of aluminum on my motor especially if I wasn’t going for stock appearing !

Well I think this is about done!! I’m running a 6 pack intake so if I can get these to go near 240cfm at 500/550 lift with a 2.02 valve I’ll be happy. Now to start the other 7 cyl.

IMG_5381.jpeg

Nice looking work. I have a 360 head that is all cut up if there are any particular sections you would like to see in pictures.

Which casting is it? I need to widen the short turn on my junk but I know they get real thin in that area. Learned that one the hard way.

if I can get these to go near 240cfm

FWIW……..you don’t really need to do any of that “boat-tailing” behind the guide to reach 240cfm.

After you have the seats cut for the 2.02 valve……you’re going to have a bunch of blending to do.

FWIW……..you don’t really need to do any of that “boat-tailing” behind the guide to reach 240cfm.

After you have the seats cut for the 2.02 valve……you’re going to have a bunch of blending to do.
Yes. I’m going to shot for about 89% of the seat width.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11
-
Back