Jacking question 65 Dart

-

zephyr

Reaction score
I just bought a 65 Dart vert. and have a floor jack I want to use for it. Can you tell me where the jacking points are on the car?
I also need to get a portable jack to keep in the trunk. What do you recommend, a hydraulic cylinder type, or something else? Thanks.

I always use the Monte Carlo Jack on all my Mopars and other hot rods. On My '69 barracuda I found holes in the sub-frame and welded a stud (raised portion) onto the jack to fit snugly into holes in the front and back of the sub-frame. This jack has a high rise height and is pretty stable. I would never use an original bumper jack on any of the old vintage cars. I think I still have one spare Monte Carlo jack sitting on the shelf although you can find them on ebay.

$MC JACK 2.JPG
Monte carlo jack - Copy.JPG

Treblig

Last edited:
If I am jacking the front to work underneath I carefully jack in the middle of the K member then place jack stands under the K member or the lower control arms. The rear is in the center of the rear end with stands under the axle tubes or just forward of the front spring mounts depending on whether I need the rear end to hang down. You can jack on the side but there is a lot of body twist with that and there is no good place to jack in the center to raise the whole side at once.

When "VanceC" asked about a jack to store in the trunk I assumed he was asking about a jack to use when he gets a flat. In the shop I would recommend a hydraulic jack on the rear end or on the front cross member and jack stands of course!!

""I also need to get a portable jack to keep in the trunk. What do you recommend, a hydraulic cylinder type, or something else? Thanks."'

treblig

When "VanceC" asked about a jack to store in the trunk I assumed he was asking about a jack to use when he gets a flat. In the shop I would recommend a hydraulic jack on the rear end or on the front cross member and jack stands of course!!

""I also need to get a portable jack to keep in the trunk. What do you recommend, a hydraulic cylinder type, or something else? Thanks."'

treblig
That jack you use looks like a handy one. Both my cars have the original bumper jacks but I wouldn't use them in case of a flat. Your "under chassis" jack fits the bill.

That jack you use looks like a handy one. Both my cars have the original bumper jacks but I wouldn't use them in case of a flat. Your "under chassis" jack fits the bill.
If you've ever used one of the jacks with the long handle that you have to rotate to "screw" the jack up into place then you'll know that it's no fun as the jack base will rotate and flip over when your rotating the jack handle. The Monte Carlo jack stays in place and was designed to keep the base aligned with the "jacking point". I've tried many jacks over the years (50 years) and have never found a better jack for the old classic cars. Every time I go to a swap meet I buy every one I find....usually about 10 bucks (15 bucks for a really nice one). But you do have to have the resources to weld a stud (raised portion) onto the load point so that it will fit snugly into the factory holes in the sub-frame. Call me crazy but that's just my opinion:thumbsup::):steering:

thanks,
treblig

If you've ever used one of the jacks with the long handle that you have to rotate to "screw" the jack up into place then you'll know that it's no fun as the jack base will rotate and flip over when your rotating the jack handle. The Monte Carlo jack stays in place and was designed to keep the base aligned with the "jacking point". I've tried many jacks over the years (50 years) and have never found a better jack for the old classic cars. Every time I go to a swap meet I buy every one I find....usually about 10 bucks (15 bucks for a really nice one). But you do have to have the resources to weld a stud (raised portion) onto the load point so that it will fit snugly into the factory holes in the sub-frame. Call me crazy but that's just my opinion:thumbsup::):steering:

thanks,
treblig
Not crazy just smart! Thanks for the tips.

I always use the Monte Carlo Jack on all my Mopars and other hot rods. On My '69 barracuda I found holes in the sub-frame and welded a stud (raised portion) onto the jack to fit snugly into holes in the front and back of the sub-frame. This jack has a high rise height and is pretty stable. I would never use an original bumper jack on any of the old vintage cars. I think I still have one spare Monte Carlo jack sitting on the shelf although you can find them on ebay.

View attachment 1715203878 View attachment 1715203879

Treblig
Of course it also fits a grand national, so it is expensive, over 100.00 on Ebay....

So is the Monte Carlo jack an aftermarket brand or (shudder) a Chevy Monte Carlo jack?

I carry a scissor jack and fold-up scissor jack i bought in 1970.

And yeah, original bumper jacks bend the bumpers. Only good for show.

So is the Monte Carlo jack an aftermarket brand or (shudder) a Chevy Monte Carlo jack?

I carry a scissor jack and fold-up scissor jack i bought in 1970.

And yeah, original bumper jacks bend the bumpers. Only good for show.

Monte Carlo jack '78 to '88 (not after market). Never paid more than 20 bucks for one at a swap meet. Ebay prices used to be reasonable but maybe somebody found out how great they work on classic cars. Yes, they are GM jacks but protecting my car from damage is way more important than the brand of the jack. Those scissor jacks are a pain in the butt when you're on the side of the road,.....but they do work.

Besides...scissor jacks are also made by GM????

treblig

I just bought a 65 Dart vert. and have a floor jack I want to use for it. Can you tell me where the jacking points are on the car?
I also need to get a portable jack to keep in the trunk. What do you recommend, a hydraulic cylinder type, or something else? Thanks.
On these cars you can use a floor jack anywhere you want to on the frame or rear end. Never on floor pans or bumpers of course. I have also used a 4x4 between the lower arm and the front crossover of the frame to lift the wheel up to put a support under the tire.

Thanks to all. I don't have the ability to weld so I guess my jack for side of the road will be a hydraulic.

I plan on going to the parts store or a walmart and buying one of those hydraulic jacks that are in the plastic carrying case. Keeping that in the trunk.
when Im at home and working on the Dart I jack on the rear housing and on the front I use the K-member. then I use 10" blocks to sit the tires on instead of jacks stands.
Rod

-
Back