Jake's $500 Dakota

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So after driving his 65 nearly every day since January, and winter coming around the corner, and working full time now, and starting University of Maryland in the Spring of 2015... Jake decided he would rather have seemingly more sensible daily driver. Back in June we found this 2001 Dakota in need of paint and supposedly suffering from a loss of oil pressure. The guy wanted $900 for it and had just done ball joints, tie rods/ends, brakes all around and a few other things. Then he changed the oil and filter. It was immediately after the oil change that he claims it lost pressure. We looked at it and decided to take a chance on it. Has 170k on it, interior is spotless, SLT trim level. Trailered it home, removed the 99 cent Champ oil filter, put on a Fram PH43 (I know some don't like Fram, but I've always used them), and the oil pressure was fixed. We prepped it for paint and added a cat back dual exhaust to it and swapped in a bigger Durango rear end for the limited slip. It is the 3.9 v6 and auto trans. Jake's lil brother helped me load it on the trailer the other week. Jake and I just picked it up from my paint man yesterday. Jake wanted a true 20-footer that he can beat on for the next 4-5 years...lol He's now into it for a total of $1900. He blacked out the bumpers and grill. On the fence about blacking out the wheels, or leaving them bright....

Attachments

• on the trailer.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG-20141025-00440.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG-20141025-00438.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 409
Why you don't just buy Wix---which every NAPA and O' Reallys on the planet sells, I don't understand...............

But I digress. "Nice job."

Kinda looking for something along that line right now myself...nice job.As for the Fram filter I'm surprised by the dislike on this forum of them.Have used them exclusively on all my race cars and ones I worked on with zero issues.

Truck was $900 clams. The exhaust and rearend were a few bucks. Say $250-300. How much was the respray if you're all in at $1900 skins??

He wanted 900 - jake got him down to 500, rear end 155, rear bumper 30, rt door, 50, exhaust 200, oil filter 4, prep/paint 900 base/clear. Comes to about 1900 if I can still count...lol

Cool Find!

About Fram...

After taking apart a fram filter to see what was inside and seeing a hole in the element that didn't get crimped down properly... Never again, never again...
I had a fram fuel filter go out on me after only 2 weeks of use. After spending over three hours cleaning out my carburetor of all the pieces of filter element that clogged the jets and nozzles, Never again, NEVER again...

But to be fair I had a Mr. Gasket fuel filter do the same exact thing to me as well.

There was a youtube video of a guy who took apart a fram filter and he had the same problem as me with the faulty crimping.

Ilike the wheels as they are- nice contrast- but I am old, old school
Truck looks sweet- like your color choice

Has a newer water pump and 2x roller chain in it from the previous owner...

Appreciate all the feedback, thus far - FABO. Rocks!

He wanted 900 - jake got him down to 500, rear end 155, rear bumper 30, rt door, 50, exhaust 200, oil filter 4, prep/paint 900 base/clear. Comes to about 1900 if I can still count...lol

Wow! That's fantastic! Nice job!

So Jake sold it for 2800 and added 2000 to that and brought home an 02 Ram 4x4 quad cab..... Kids...... He is soooo me... LOL

Good Deal! Looking for something like that myself right now. I am in the get out of debt and start saving money mode. Need to sell my '06 Mega Cab (and delete payments from my life) find another beater.

So Jake sold it for 2800 and added 2000 to that and brought home an 02 Ram 4x4 quad cab..... Kids...... He is soooo me... LOL

The boys got smarts!! You watch, he'll trade his way right up the ladder to something totally awesome!! :)

-
Back