Jeff's Electric Fan Install

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, I got started today. ....radiator is out, fan is off and I'm starting to figure out how I'm going to attach the fans to the radiator. ..

image000001(33).jpg

image000001(31).jpg

image000001(30).jpg

image000001(32).jpg

Jeff

Tons of room ...I don't think the pulley snub will be an issue at all...

Gotta run over to NAPA and get some hardware....
Didn't get very far today. ..got pulled away, but far enough that I'm in knee deep now!

Jeff

Well, I got started today. ....radiator is out, fan is off and I'm starting to figure out how I'm going to attach the fans to the radiator. ..
Jeff

Nice, I think you will be very happy with that setup.

Thanks!
And I'll be ready when I add AC down the road!

Jeff

It looks like I might be coming up on that same adventure before long.
The Wife wants me to put AC in mine, but I'm not sure I want all that stuff on my car.:D
We'll see, but if I do it it's going to get a nice oversized radiator.
Whats the point of adding AC if you are just going to be sitting out in the heat anyway with an overheated engine?:D

It looks like I might be coming up on that same adventure before long.
The Wife wants me to put AC in mine, but I'm not sure I want all that stuff on my car.:D
We'll see, but if I do it it's going to get a nice oversized radiator.
Whats the point of adding AC if you are just going to be sitting out in the heat anyway with an overheated engine?:D
My radiator does great when there's air moving through it....but after pulling off the highway and sitting at a few lights, things kinda get scetchy!

Jeff

As for AC....I live and die by my AC....can't stand not having it in the Cuda! !

Jeff

Well Chino isn't the coolest climate, so I totally understand.
I won't even go down to Phoenix in the summer (any summer):D

Well Chino isn't the coolest climate, so I totally understand.
I won't even go down to Phoenix in the summer (any summer):D
It's finally let up for the moment. ..mid 90s....we were over 100 every day for 6 weeks!
I basically couldn't drive it at all.....

Jeff

Well, after working all day, I came home and headed out to get some hardware.
Only thing open was Home Depot. They had the 5/16x18 bolts to hold the pulley to the water pump but the female threaded inserts in my Champion radiator are metric (M6x1) and their selection of metric hardware was pitiful.

My plan is to get some M6x1 all thread and basically make studs (standoffs)....I'll try to score that tomorrow after work.

New bolts/old bolts

image000001.jpg

At least I buttoned that up today....

image000001.jpg

It's all just time and money...right?

Jeff

Last edited:
Your fan setup looks great & I bet will keep it plenty cool now! I agree with you, the hardware bins @ HD are horrid. I've had much better luck @ Ace Hardware.

While you have access, could you measure your pulley diameters for me please? Just curious....

Your fan setup looks great & I bet will keep it plenty cool now! I agree with you, the hardware bins @ HD are horrid. I've had much better luck @ Ace Hardware.

While you have access, could you measure your pulley diameters for me please? Just curious....
Sure....can do it right now...

Crank 7.5
Water pump 6.5
Power steering 6.0
Alternator 3.0

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Is your crank pulley stepped down where the inboard groove is smaller than 7.5" ?

Sorry....a bit off topic :)

Thanks Jeff. Is your crank pulley stepped down where the inboard groove is smaller than 7.5" ?

Yes...slightly but I couldn't really measure it back there....I'd say about 1/2" smaller at the most...

Jeff

You having pulley issues? !!!
I've heard many times that the water pump pulley should be smaller than the crank pulley. ....

Jeff

Quick update. ..no luck scoring the hardware I need...I'll order it online tomorrow morning from McMaster Carr.

Jeff

Quick update. ..no luck scoring the hardware I need...I'll order it online tomorrow morning from McMaster Carr.

Jeff

JFYI , Lowes has a very good hardware section, and if u have an Attwoods farm and ranch , or a tractor supply near you, they have a fantastic selection of grade 5 and 8 bolts nut washers and------all sold by the pound, cant beat it !

-
Back