Jeff's Electric Fan Install

-
Jeff, is the CC526 a bolt-in? Heard some people say they were warped/out of square they couldn't use it. Also, do the transmission lines line up? Did the mechanical fan not work? Why electric fans?

Jeff, is the CC526 a bolt-in? Heard some people say they were warped/out of square they couldn't use it. Also, do the transmission lines line up? Did the mechanical fan not work? Why electric fans?
Yes....bolt in except I had to drill one hole in the radiator flange for the lower passenger side bolt. Bear in mind I installed it in a 68 Barracuda and I believe it's advertised for a Duster...
Did a minor amount of tweaking on the transmission lines...but I needed to anyway because my lines were all jacked up anyway...so I ended up cutting them back and reflaring them...very easy if you rent a flaring tool at Autozone.....
I never had the original fan for my car...that may have worked better, but I had a "Flex" fan, and after driving a while on a hot day, it just wasn't enough air flow at idle and long lights/stop and go traffic. Plus this will help a lot when I add AC...

I ordered the hardware I need today and it should be to my house Wednesday. ....

Jeff

Ok...my hardware was here when I got home...11 hour day but I still got a little bit done.

I cut off 4 pieces of the all-thread (1.850" long) and chamfered both ends on each. ..just used a hack saw and a file. I double nutted them and screwed them in the radiator. Used Ny-Lok nuts...

image000001.jpg

image000001.jpg

Then drilled 4 holes in the plastic fan shroud/enclosure.
I also trimmed a little bit of the shroud around where the hoses connect.

image000001.jpg

image000001.jpg

image000001.jpg

So now the fans are securely attached to the radiator.

To be continued

Jeff

Last edited:
Today after another 11 hour day, I put foam all around to totally seal the shroud and bolted it back in.

image000001.jpg

The water pump pulley is pretty close to the fans but it should be fine...if not I can do some trimming.....

image000001(2).jpg

image000001.jpg

Tomorrow I can button up a couple of things then start wiring.

Jeff

Got a little more done today. ...

I buttoned up the rest of the radiator and while I was down there I installed my starter wrap I bought a while ago. ..

image000001(4).jpg

image000001(7).jpg

I used these cool stainless steel ties and tool to hold it...

image000001(6).jpg

Then got started on the fan controller wiring. ..
I just don't like or trust crimp connectors any more so I always pull off the little plastic piece and solder and shrink wrap my connections.

image000001(5).jpg

image000001(8).jpg

image000001(3).jpg

Now that's a connection I trust!

Lots more wiring to go...

Jeff

Got a little more done today. ...

I buttoned up the rest of the radiator and while I was down there I installed my starter wrap I bought a while ago. ..

View attachment 1715218388

View attachment 1715218389

I used these cool stainless steel ties and tool to hold it...

View attachment 1715218390

Then got started on the fan controller wiring. ..
I just don't like or trust crimp connectors any more so I always pull off the little plastic piece and solder and shrink wrap my connections.

View attachment 1715218391

View attachment 1715218392

View attachment 1715218394

Now that's a connection I trust!

Lots more wiring to go...

Jeff
wish more do it your self peeps thought like you. do it like your gonna own the car for life.

Ok...
Wiring is done....

Tested it out and everything works perfect.
Temp holds rock solid at 180 now....
Of course after weeks and weeks of Southern California weather in the 100s, it's cooled down now, but that won't last and I'll really test it.

Still gotta clean up some wiring but she's back on the road looking AND running cool!

Very happy with the results!

Jeff

Ok...
Wiring is done....

Tested it out and everything works perfect.
Temp holds rock solid at 180 now....
Of course after weeks and weeks of Southern California weather in the 100s, it's cooled down now, but that won't last and I'll really test it.

Still gotta clean up some wiring but she's back on the road looking AND running cool!

Very happy with the results!

Jeff
thats awesome, all your work and money spent paid off.

thats awesome, all your work and money spent paid off.
More testing...went out in the peak heat of the day, around 92 degrees, and kinda romped on it quite a bit :steering:

Seems to be sitting right at 190 degrees. ...as long as it doesn't get much hotter on 100+ degree days, I'm absolutely fine with that.

Worst case is I get fans with more CFM...but I think I'm good to go. ..

Jeff

I want to add that the controller from AUTOCOOLGUY is a great unit.....
Very simple to wire and I LOVE the soft-start feature!
I watched under the hood and when it warmed up, the fans came on super gentle. ...
It runs for 60 seconds after I shut off the engine. ..works exactly like expected. ....

Jeff

More testing...went out in the peak heat of the day, around 92 degrees, and kinda romped on it quite a bit :steering:

Seems to be sitting right at 190 degrees. ...as long as it doesn't get much hotter on 100+ degree days, I'm absolutely fine with that.

Worst case is I get fans with more CFM...but I think I'm good to go. ..

Jeff

do you have a volt meter in the car? if so what is the voltage drop if any when fans kick on? i know its a soft start but just curious if any drop?

do you have a volt meter in the car? if so what is the voltage drop if any when fans kick on? i know its a soft start but just curious if any drop?
Don't know exactly, but when they're off I'm charging a little over 14v....with them running, I'm around 13v.
I might want more alternator. ...but I think I'm good for now.

Jeff

-
Back