jegs-which year 360 crate is best?

-

exile uk

Reaction score
I want to buy a rebuilt 360 from Jegs to replace my tired 318 in my 75 dart.They have big choice,from 71 to 2001 models,all similar price @ around $2k.In Uk engine builder wants alot more than that to rebuild so i will just buy a rebuilt 360.I will use all my parts off 318 where possible.roller cam appeals to me,i just want a smooth drive and reliability.Which 360 would be best buy?Cheers

Thanks Brian,yes that would mean my eddy intake fits,ill look and see if cam is manual fuel pump type.

Does Jegs happen to mention what brand those engines are? I think I would trust something from Blueprint Engines WAY before I'd trust that Jegs stuff. Maybe @Johnny Mac will chime in with some suggestions.

The picture shows a manual pump eccentric on the cam so you should be good to go.

Magnum engines have the vertical bolts and the LA has the angled bolts. So intake manifold is not interchangeable, I think speedmaster makes a dual bolt intake but not Edelbrock.

I’d be looking at the blueprint motor as well. It’s a little more expensive but the warranty is fantastic and they have more power to get in more trouble with.

I’d be looking at the blueprint motor as well. It’s a little more expensive but the warranty is fantastic and they have more power to get in more trouble with.
Plus, they aren't shysters. They don't try to slither out from under a warranty if they need to do one.

Plus, they aren't shysters. They don't try to slither out from under a warranty if they need to do one.

I’m all about good customer service. Giving this away now for a patient give away, and if my work fails and it’s my fault I have no problem replacing it for no cost to the patient.

29430D32-1B33-4E8D-873E-6FC98CDC709A.jpeg

Run from Jegs. I bought a 500HP 727 from them it was a disaster. Tubing fittings sheared off and painted over, Bolt in the pan and the gasket was not even on right and a 6 month wait. Top it off the truck that delivered it got stuck in the driveway since he could not back up. I wont deal with them at all.

ATK is the mass produced engine builder hence price.Id love a blue print motor but my budget is much lower,Jegs just sells the engines as in a shop so im not going to blame them if a trans or engine fails.I love my a body and ive saved 2k and i want to drive her all spring and summer so hence this post regarding the 360 purchase.Thanks for advice and opinions,Brian mentioned that the 1991 LA engine may be good hence my intake would fit too,i know magnum intakes differ .Ive got avs650 eddy,performer intake,longtube headers,355 rear end,so i just thought a new 360 crate would be good swap for just 2K and be lots of fun and easy part swap too

Looks like all you guys have me covered as usual, thanks for that!!!

BluePrint Engines is a great company, but being we aren't a reman /auto recycler company like ATK/LKQ, I can't touch a $2000 engine. Thats not a knock, just a factual statement. The only thing seasoned in our 408 mopar is the block and main caps. And that's literally the only engine in our lineup that uses a seasoned block. Simply b/c we haven't had the demand to tool up for one yet. Appreciate everyone tossing my hat in the ring!!

ATK is the mass produced engine builder hence price.Id love a blue print motor but my budget is much lower,Jegs just sells the engines as in a shop so im not going to blame them if a trans or engine fails.I love my a body and ive saved 2k and i want to drive her all spring and summer so hence this post regarding the 360 purchase.Thanks for advice and opinions,Brian mentioned that the 1991 LA engine may be good hence my intake would fit too,i know magnum intakes differ .Ive got avs650 eddy,performer intake,longtube headers,355 rear end,so i just thought a new 360 crate would be good swap for just 2K and be lots of fun and easy part swap too
I understand all your concerns. How much does it cost to do it twice? Just something to think about.

Haha ,Aint it **** being poor!!I understand that great quality has a great price,i cant have what i cant afford.I work 7 days per week to afford my mopar,if i worked 8 days i could buy better.I have saved up what i can afford,i dont want to wait 2-3 years to buy a BP408,having plenty of money makes this hobby bloody easy,having little makes it bloody hard!I cant understand how very bad ,unreliable engine companies survive or how anyone would sell or buy them?Really appreciate everyones input but i feel abit sad that people cant acknowledge that some of us aint got much and try to do what we can on a very limited budget.Its a shame to have to sell my car just because only expensive options exist which are way beyond me.

Looks like all you guys have me covered as usual, thanks for that!!!

BluePrint Engines is a great company, but being we aren't a reman /auto recycler company like ATK/LKQ, I can't touch a $2000 engine. Thats not a knock, just a factual statement. The only thing seasoned in our 408 mopar is the block and main caps. And that's literally the only engine in our lineup that uses a seasoned block. Simply b/c we haven't had the demand to tool up for one yet. Appreciate everyone tossing my hat in the ring!!
My commission check is expected to be forthcoming. lol

Haha ,Aint it **** being poor!!I understand that great quality has a great price,i cant have what i cant afford.I work 7 days per week to afford my mopar,if i worked 8 days i could buy better.I have saved up what i can afford,i dont want to wait 2-3 years to buy a BP408,having plenty of money makes this hobby bloody easy,having little makes it bloody hard!I cant understand how very bad ,unreliable engine companies survive or how anyone would sell or buy them?Really appreciate everyones input but i feel abit sad that people cant acknowledge that some of us aint got much and try to do what we can on a very limited budget.Its a shame to have to sell my car just because only expensive options exist which are way beyond me.
I totally relate. I couldn't afford one either if I didn't know how or didn't enjoy building my own. But let me leave you with this tidbit too. I have TRIED to build 2500 buck engines before doing a lot of my own cylinder head work, even pressing on my own pistons and installing my own rod bolts. I'm here to tell you brother, it cannot be done. And that's in THIS country, much less where you are. So I cannot imagine how they're offering those engines. Whatever you decide, I do wish you the best of luck!

Thanks Rusty,perfect sense that,and wise advice,that leaves me no option other than to sell my left kidney!!!:rofl:

Just get the ATK engine I’m sure it’ll work great for you. I have a blue print from 2008 and it’s been great but I haven’t even started it in over 7 years as life gets in the way. Prob has 750 miles on it. Dustin

No question. We have all seen a few issues with their motors but that will go for anyone in the Motor Biz. But it's how Johnny Mac has responded each and everytime that sells me on BPE!

That's my take on it anyways.......

And why does a good Divorce Lawyer cost money? Because they are worth it!!!! Same concept.....

JW

I understand all your concerns. How much does it cost to do it twice? Just something to think about.

I totally relate. I couldn't afford one either if I didn't know how or didn't enjoy building my own. But let me leave you with this tidbit too. I have TRIED to build 2500 buck engines before doing a lot of my own cylinder head work, even pressing on my own pistons and installing my own rod bolts. I'm here to tell you brother, it cannot be done. And that's in THIS country, much less where you are. So I cannot imagine how they're offering those engines. Whatever you decide, I do wish you the best of luck!

At about 19 years old (long before BluePrint and on a budget) I thought the same thing with a sbc 383. Why on EARTH would I pay anyone to build ME an engine, let alone a crate, when I can buy the parts for 2,000. Hell a crate at the time was probably 3000. That was untouchable to me at the time, but I could scrape up 2000 in parts. What bums those crate companies are! They won't get my extra $1000! Well...I slapped that puppy together, smiled with my "saved" $1000 in hand, and slept great that night. Over the next 10 years I pulled that absolute piece of crap engine back out of that truck probably 5 times, and fir merely double My initial $2000 investment, replacing parts, buying things twice, and weekends wasted, it finally ran "OK". That engine simply didn't want to live. It did every stupid unexplainable thing on the planet it could have done. Meanwhile I was part of a race team and building 600 hp smallblock mopars in my sleep (with other people's money) not like I was a complete noob. A BluePrint 383 would have been worth it's weight in gold!!!

Just a funny story I share sometimes.

OP I totally get budgets are budgets. By no means am I poking fun at you or anything. I'm also not saying those engines you asked about are bad. I respect you for knowing your means and not putting yourself into a stressed situation.

Like driving past a Ferrari dealership having a half off sale on the way home from work....if ya don't have the budget for a Ferrari....one 50% off doesn't mean much either! :)

Best of luck, I'm sure one of those others is adequate. No one wants to see ya sell your car!

I hear ya, I sold my 69 ragtop i owned for 30+ years for less then half what I had into it. One thing to consider is your location, shipping costs? Return shipping for warranty?
What all else is required parts wise for the install? Get those all lined up and shipped with the engine to reduce costs?
Good luck, let us know how it works out.

-
Back