Jester finally gets a Swinger

-

Jester

Large Member
Reaction score
Flew down to California last friday 8/8/08, purchased a slant 6 Swinger and then drove up the oregon coast, all the way back to Vancouver, BC. About 1000 miles driven, and the little slant ran pretty well.

It has a hesitation from idle, if you don't slowly push the gas down (Holley 1920 one barrel). I'm guessing a supersix would cure that?

Something by the front or rear wheels makes a squeaking noise that changes with speed (heard mostly when driving beside a concrete divider). I thought it was just the beauty rims, but could be wrong.

Steering at highway speeds is a little sloppy. It goes straight when the wheel is straight, but I have to make constant little corrections, and feel a slight click with each correction. any ideas? or is that normal... PO replaced the idler arm.

Other than that, everything seems to be good. I'm going to give it a thorough inspection, swap all the fluids, replace wheel bearings, bushings etc...

Anyone know where to find a complete supersix assembly? Or is there a way to cure the 1920 holley problem?

pics:

RoadTrip012.jpg

RoadTrip047.jpg

RoadTrip027.jpg

2153_3.jpg

2922_3.jpg

29eb_3.jpg

2cf8_3.jpg

2aba_3.jpg

1f34_3.jpg

RoadTrip019.jpg

Very nice!! I saw that car on ebay I think. The squeak could be the wheel bearings or even dragging brakes maybe. There is some adjustment on the steering box, but most are sloppy unless you get a manual box, or firm-feel steering box. It could also be worn out ball-joints and other suspension parts (lower control arm bushings come to mind).

Man that is a sweet lookin' car...........I'm jealous of that slant 6 too with the gas prices the way they are........When you can ride in THAT kind of style with a six, you've got the best of both worlds! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Three cheers on this one!

clean little car

on the steering, adjust the sector shaft load by holding the set screw with allen wrench and loosing the lock nut, tighten the set screw maybe 1/2 turn and drive and check feel and if it will self center, if you have to manually return to center when driving slow it is too tight, if still loose try another 1/2 turn.

In the 70's I worked in the Chrysler plant that made the PS gear and my job was to set the torque required on the gear, you can actually tighten it quite a bit, the gears wear and in adjusting the set screw on the sector changes the location the gears mesh

On the carb, try rebuilding it, could be week accelerator pump

Have fun

Nice looking swinger Jester.
You sure made a long trip home Glad every thing went well.

My /6 started doing that and I just took the breather off for a close look and the 6 screw that hold the carb together was a bit loose.
I drove mine home not long ago 325 miles. She did great.
that is one clean car. Congrat's Jester.

Nice looking car jester congrats on the find and on a nice ride with your baby. Justin

-
Back