jHead or edelbrock performer

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
last fall i bought a set of edelbrock performer complete aluminum heads and a performer air gap intake for a small block for $1000 all new in the box. a guy was needing some money. my question is:
Do I leave my ported 2.02-1.60 J-Heads on my small block with the m1 intake or do i install my new aluminum heads. the motor in a complete 73 duster with 3.91 gears ran a 11.92 with slicks

has .30 over 12.1 ross chevrolet short skirt pistons, titanium wrist pins, .100 long chevrolet valves in heads, bronze guides, hughes .567 solid lift cam with .279 duration.750 dbbl pmpr, comp roller rockers, aluminum holders, stock crank and rods. shift the motor at 6700rpm
Do you think the aluminum heads will gain me any. next week I am pulling the motor out of my 73 and putting the 471 in the 73 and putting the small block into my 75 duster. with either 3.55 or 3.91 gears..

last fall i bought a set of edelbrock performer complete aluminum heads and a performer air gap intake for a small block for $1000 all new in the box. a guy was needing some money. my question is:
Do I leave my ported 2.02-1.60 J-Heads on my small block with the m1 intake or do i install my new aluminum heads. the motor in a complete 73 duster with 3.91 gears ran a 11.92 with slicks

has .30 over 12.1 ross chevrolet short skirt pistons, titanium wrist pins, .100 long chevrolet valves in heads, bronze guides, hughes .567 solid lift cam with .279 duration.750 dbbl pmpr, comp roller rockers, aluminum holders, stock crank and rods. shift the motor at 6700rpm
Do you think the aluminum heads will gain me any. next week I am pulling the motor out of my 73 and putting the 471 in the 73 and putting the small block into my 75 duster. with either 3.55 or 3.91 gears..

I guess i will start the fight:-D

J ported heads will out perform an eddy in stock form............with a little attention to them eddys they will perform as well as you J heads.

Hmmm 12.1 compression.........eddy are a close chamber head right!?
Wouldn't the piston contact the head(eddys would require a different piston..........or are they the open chambers design......

LOL @ Cudafever, my thoughts exactly.

I guess i will start the fight:-D

J ported heads will out perform an eddy in stock form............with a little attention to them eddys they will perform as well as you J heads.

Hmmm 12.1 compression.........eddy are a close chamber head right!?
Wouldn't the piston contact the head(eddys would require a different piston..........or are they the open chambers design......

I must have something wrong with my .020 360 with the out of the box Eddy's, because it will out run my friends higher compression 340 with ported J-heads.
I'm at 9.5.1 comp & my friend is at 10.5 comp. 11.28 vs 12.20.
I even have my engine in his car with his convertor & rear gear.
I guess I need to tell my 360 it shouldn't run this good with Edelbrock heads.
I have ran several bracket small blocks (mostly 340's) with both X & J heads on them unported. I have ran 11.70's with mildly ported J heads, but as far as I'm concern, I have ran quicker & faster with the Eldo's.

Thinking about the 350 chevy vs the 360 MoPar strokes, it's close. 3.48 vs 3.58? IIRC
The pistons will handle it all, not to bad I thinks.

Jeremy, if you take the time to work on the Edelbrock heads and port them to suite the set up of the engine and car, you should see a nice improvement over the J heads.
Would porting be in the future? I myself would like to see that.

Firstoff only 11.92 that car should be quicker then that...secondly GREAT score on the heads and intake,thats the same top end i run on my 30 over 360,which has been 11.79 and my 416 which ran 11.0's all day..i've never run a set of Edelbrocks right ootb but mine have had very "slight" port work and perform excellent..give em' a try you probably NEVER go back to "old" iron heads ever again,I've got a single plane i'm going to run to see how it compares to the air gap,which is a "great" manifold itself..note* that people will say PORTED j's will flow as well/or better as OUT OF THE BOX Edelbrocks, this might be true but properly prep those Edelbrocks and NO iron head will touch them w2's the exception of coarse..

To the people who think j's o's x's z's whatever are such great performing heads have you ever even tried a set of Edelbrocks??..ya' i thought my x-heads were awsume till i bought Edelbrocks no looking back now :-D:-D

I believe it's more about what you consider important and your opinion of return on investment. Anything may work. Only one will be "the cheapest", and only one will deliver what you must have. Seldom will the cheapest deliver what you have to have, but that's what determines usage in many cases. I'd use the RPMs unless a class/rules restriction was placed on the engine.

To the people who think j's o's x's z's whatever are such great performing heads have you ever even tried a set of Edelbrocks??..ya' i thought my x-heads were awsume till i bought Edelbrocks no looking back now :-D:-D

Yes you are correct, I have never ran a set of eddy heads.(Maybe some day i will have the chance, and change my mind, but there is a lot of power potential out of these old,old head.

But the Eddy, outofthebox numbers make me go HMmmm
Yes with vary little work the eddy show the cfm, That They Should!
But a 2.02 valve, a good 3 angle valve job w/minor bowl blend will make a 175 cfm J head Jump to 230-240. Thats a lot more power potential, then it was stock and will surly make a smile accrose you face.

full mod to full most YES the eddy will out perform the J,X,EXC. No argument there.

the pistons were ordered through ross as a 350 with a relocated pin height. probably 10 years ago. motor sat on a motor stand for 7 years before being run. i am the 3rd owner and first to start it.
car 60 ft 1.60 and ran a 7.61 1/8 mile and best of 11.92 1/4.
car is loosing in the big end and not sure why. any ideas. i thought the motor
should run 11.5 to 11.6's maybe I thought to much of it. times did not change from 3.91 to 4.30's at all.

ET is chassis and not even a close/decent representation of HP.

What MPH was it running in the 1/4 and what does the car honestly weigh?

If you can port the eddys that would be a nice upgrade over what you have chopping all the weight off the front of the car. I have fast ratio manual steering and the reduced weight sure it nice at low speeds around corners.

ET is chassis and not even a close/decent representation of HP.

What MPH was it running in the 1/4 and what does the car honestly weigh?

it has run a best 11.92 @112mph
but usually runs 12.06 @108 mph all day long
not sure about weight, it is a complete 73 duster with a 6 point roll cage, was also a a/c car. i do have the heater box out of it.
i figure it should weigh around 3200 with driver.
i did remove the factory steering and install a rack and pinion out of a dodge dakota and convert it to front steering. so knocked a little weight off there

Thinking about the 350 chevy vs the 360 MoPar strokes, it's close. 3.48 vs 3.58? IIRC
The pistons will handle it all, not to bad I thinks.

Would porting be in the future? I myself would like to see that.

i have been thinking of the stage 3 porting. but that is as much as what i gave for the heads and intake.. but would probably see good gains i think.

I doubt it's making 400 hp with those et/mph numbers.

Or something is terribly wrong with the converter.

That cam, if it's 279 at .050, is way/may be overkill on duration. What size is the engine?

How do they make 12:1 with the mopar chamber? What shape are the pistons? flat top? domed? 108mph in a 3200lbs car is much lower power output indicated as noted. What is your trap rpm and tire size?

-
Back