Joe's Garage

-
It's really coming along Joe! I have no problems at all watching you work -- it's an honor :-D [crack that whip!! LOL] -- and it seems you're definitely kickin butt on that once-empty garage.

I love that glossy finish on the workbench. How long does that stuff take to set up?? Never used it myself but it does look tough. Keep up the great work! :-D

I finally got some of that bubble insulation on the INSIDE of my shop yesterday -- west wall dropped 22 degrees of afternoon heat! -- so I was thinking of updating last year's tornado thread today too.

Sorry so late with the response, been busy as hell and am on call this weekend.

Each coat takes a day, but it's fingerprint proof in about 3 hours, at least here in dry Colorado. After the last coat it says to wait twenty four hours but I like to give it 48 just be sure. The fumes are so strong they'd get a junkie high, so be sure to have plenty of ventilation. It takes about a week for finish to pretty much completely outgas.

It's very, very chemical resistant and does very well with impacts too. It will scratch if a cylinder head is dragged across it but recoats only take a simple 5 minutes of 200 grit for prep and simply brush on another coat.

Hey Joe!

How the heck are you doing?

Any update on the shop?

I spent the last three days cleaning out the farm barn. Damn rodents have **** and chewed up crap all over the place. I gave the cat a talking to about slacking on the job - LOL!

It is 102 degrees today so the final phase of the clean up was a *****. Having a graduation party for my daughter this weekend and have a band scheduled to set up and play in the farm barn. Didn't want them to have to wade thru mouse poop!

Hope all is well with you - Frank is in the back ground as I type - Suzie Cream Cheese.

Ma Snart

Hey Joe!

How the heck are you doing?

Any update on the shop?

I spent the last three days cleaning out the farm barn. Damn rodents have **** and chewed up crap all over the place. I gave the cat a talking to about slacking on the job - LOL!

It is 102 degrees today so the final phase of the clean up was a *****. Having a graduation party for my daughter this weekend and have a band scheduled to set up and play in the farm barn. Didn't want them to have to wade thru mouse poop!

Hope all is well with you - Frank is in the back ground as I type - Suzie Cream Cheese.

Ma Snart

How did the party go? Time to get another cat, lol!

Subscribed

:cheers:

Sorry so long for any new posts or responses but work and yard work has been kicking my ***. That's both good and bad. Anyway, I bought a welding bench from my neighbor. He's an 85 yr old guy full of stories about hot rodding back in the 50's! Neat old guy. Anyway, he built this bench back in the early 70's and he figured it was time to just let it go since he's not doing any fabrication anymore and needed some dough to cover some medical deductibles. I also picked up a full size shop heater from him too, more on that in posts to come.

So, the bench had been sitting outside for the last few years and was pretty rusty so I tipped it over (Almost but my foot off in the process), cleaned the rust off and gave it a good cleaning and paint job. It turns out it's made of 3/8" steel plate and angle iron and it's one seriously heavy bastard. I had to use my engine hoist to pick it up after cleaning. It's got to weigh over 300 lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0731.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0733.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 411
Got my beater yard sale vise fixed (dummies broke the vise jaws screws in the vise body, I had to drill them out) and mounted on the bench.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 411
Got some stuff put away where it needs to be, but I'm still organizing. I tried to get everything in one pic but this garage is pretty big.

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0748.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 408
Your garage is looking great! Nice score on the welding table. Even nicer job on the repaint! It really turned out sweet with the addition of the vise and matching cabinet. Looks like your dog is enjoying the new garage as well.

As is typical with cats, she didn't give a crap about my lecture on the mice situation, so I had to bring in the heavy artillery (see pictures attached). Never used the stick traps before, but the bad boys work. Put out both big and little as the mice invited the chip monks into the barn as well. The first picture below shows what is left of the chip monk after he got stuck and something had him for dinner. Just his legs and tail left - LOL!!! Second picture shows one of the mice stuck just before I sent him to his maker. I have been pulling the mice off the traps and reusing them successfully.

The party went very well ( ie. Many people had fun and no one hurt bad enough to have to take them to the emergency room). A couple pictures of the event attached. The three rats in the first picture are my children, two of which finished grad school and the other high school, so the party was a triple celebration. The lead singer in the band is my friend Kelly that I work with.

Take care and have fun,

Ma Snart

Attachments

• DSC09932.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 398
  • DSC09929.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC09184.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 408
  • DSC09182.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC09162.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC09153.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC09150.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC09131.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 414
  • DSC09169.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 394
Wow! That's looks like one heck of a party and congratz to your children! Glad everything turned out well after the pest removal. Mice can be a major PITA.

Awesome job you're doing on the garage Joe. That welding bench you got from your neighbor looks killer with the paint to match your cabinet :thumbup:

Joe, good score on the welding table, looks well made.

Ma Snart. everyone should have a trebuchet at their party.

Awesome job you're doing on the garage Joe. That welding bench you got from your neighbor looks killer with the paint to match your cabinet :thumbup:

Thanks C!

Joe, good score on the welding table, looks well made.

Ma Snart. everyone should have a trebuchet at their party.

Thanks Jaws and I agree with you, the trebuchet is pretty darn cool.

So what's planned next for the garage?

A few more cabinets to hang, then organization and getting stuff on the wall. Next big projects are 100A service, lighting and 1/2" piping for the air compressor. :happy1:

Got the first coat of marine spar on the second large bench last night. I'll post pics once the 3rd coat is on and dry.

Ok, finished up the marine spar last night. The fumes from that stuff are pretty powerful, I think it made me a little goofy.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 321
Had an electrician over last night for an estimate to install a 200A subpanel. Right now I only have a 125A sub for the house, AC and garage. Got an estimate of 550 for parts and labor, I figure that's a pretty fair price.

I am heading out to the nest Joe!! It's raining here :cheers:
You got me motavated :happy1:
Looks great... and yes :D those fumes can make us goofy :toothy9::D:blob:

-
Back