JOSS ENGINES W2 468ci. What will it make??

-
Here are some photos from today so far...

4296caee.jpg

Loading up on to the dyno cart...

aa035f3e.jpg

Hooking up everything to start running....

f0f0a496.jpg

The fuel has arrived! should have some numbers in the next few hours.

-Kenny

check that rocker for oiling.

Are you using the ball/ball pushrods with the cupped adjusters?

I dont really dig those much myself, I like the ball/cup cause they hold a lil more oil for the adjuster ball....did the push rod hit the head?

check the valve movement in the guide as well, maybe too tight and stuck.

check that rocker for oiling.

Are you using the ball/ball pushrods with the cupped adjusters?

I dont really dig those much myself, I like the ball/cup cause they hold a lil more oil for the adjuster ball....did the push rod hit the head?

check the valve movement in the guide as well, maybe too tight and stuck.

Yes the T&D's are cup style rockers. Haven't had an issue with them so far. The passage was clear and open when we took the rocker off the shaft, but I'm sure there was something in there while it was together. It's the only way it would starve the push rod.

The guides are fine, the last time these heads ran was in June, and they ran like champs! Even with the blown head gaskets under them! Lol.

Oh, and no the push rods just clear the heads. There sure isn't much for material left after clearancing the head for the pushrods!

-Kenny

First tug to 6000rpm netted us 100 points at sustained rpm. That is 600hp uncorrected. On a good day here we see 11% correction factor. So for sea level, 600hp x 1.11 = 666hp corrected. Time to check the rockers again and make more pulls if all is well!

-Kenny

no need to go more than 10% above exhaust valve size. it just creates turbulance! your Head gureau will tell you the same thing.

A little update, anything over 6000rpm, the the push rod would come out of the adjuster. It must just barely touch the head. So, if you look back a ways in the thread where I posted the picture of the lifter area, and the piece of block that is circled in red. That has now been removed, ( the engine was completely disassembled) and the lifters have been flipped around. This is going to give us the clearance we need I believe. ( the lifters have an offset) it almost works the way it was but in the higher rpm it must be just barely touching the head still, and there is no more room to clearance. A minor speed bump I guess! I am pretty happy with that first little tug though, it looks promising!

-Kenny

UPDATE AS OF TODAY!

Well, it has been VERY busy, figuring out the oiling/pushrods/adjuster/what a head ache this week. haha.

So, we have clearanced the block, and flipped the lifters around, while we had it apart, we got looking at the cometic head gaskets, and found, this set was meant for push rod oiling. The oil passage was not drilled through. So, long story short, we drilled the gaskets, and all is fine and good now.

My 1050 did not pan out, and just would not co-operate with us. We had to put an old 800 dp holley on it to run it. We have run out of time and haven't done any tuning, but everything with the engine is good to go, so it is getting pulled off the dyno, and put in the car tonight, and headed to the track tomorrow night. (going to try and strap it on the chassis dyno somewhere in there too.haha.)

SO, un tuned, running with a little 800 carb, this thing is still pulling 100 points at 6400 rpm. That is where we stopped pulling. I know everyone would like better info on the engine dyno, but again, I have ran out of time.

So, 100 points at 6400rpm works out to 640hp at our elevation, uncorrected. On a very good air day, we see 11% for a correction factor. So, using the 11% (probably actually more then that) we are looking at 720hp. I am very happy with this so far, as it really has a lot going against it with no tuning, and that little carb.

Tonight, It will be getting bolted in the car, and there will be a fresh 950 HP series Holley on it. If we can work fast, we will see Chassis dyno numbers tonight, along with a good tune!

Again, if all goes well, I will have some ET numbers for you guys on saturday! That is, if the stock 8 3/4 with the 3.23's holds up. haha

-Kenny

A little update...

Got the engine in the Aspen a few weeks ago now. We were able to make some passes with it in some really bad air. 5000ft+. ran a bunch of 10.70's with a best of 10.68 @ 128mph. Pretty happy with it so far considering we are running on a 3.23 rear gear, 27" tall tires, and it seems like high gear is fading in the transmission. Did a best 60' of 1.55.

Hoping to go do a fastest street car shoot out with the car this Friday night. There is a 30 minute mandatory drive first, so we will see how well it cools. Haha.

-
Back