Jump and run like a girl (no offense to the actual girls)

-
i had a similar event happen to me once
we were gonna take the family out of town, and i was getting the trailer ready and my dirtbike loaded onto it

my driveway had a slight slope to it, and i had put a piece of wood in front of the nosewheel to ensure the trailer stayed put

i had the trailer (just a little 5x8, single axle type deal) back into my driveway, so i jumped on my dirtbike and simply rode it onto the trailer
as soon as the bike hit the ramp, there was some weight transfer that lifted the nosewheel over the block of wood and the whole thing started rolling down the driveway and towards traffic (and this was not a quiet street i lived on)

it took me about 2 seconds to decide to drop the bike, jump off and grab the trailer in an attempt to stop it before it hit the street

of course, we're talking about 3-400 pounds here, i can stop that

in the origenal version, all you can do is hope whatever the truck hits isnt too expensive

I did that loading a skid steer. Hind sight I should have kept driving forward to put weight back on the rear tires of the truck which was in park, instead of stopping, riding it out and hoping for the best

Put the tractor in reverse, back the rear wheels onto the ground, then lock the brakes.

Of course, the better answer is to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place (load it UPHILL, not downhill, dumbshit!)

I know what shouldda been done,
but I also know what I wouldda done.
Since there was about a zero % chance of stopping the progression of events once it started........... I wouldda stood in the middle of the road, hands on my hips, and laughed like a baby in a tickle-fest, until I cried.

Park the truck and trailer at the bottom of the hill, then load the tractor. No issue.

I know what shouldda been done,
but I also know what I wouldda done.
Since there was about a zero % chance of stopping the progression of events once it started........... I wouldda stood in the middle of the road, hands on my hips, and laughed like a baby in a tickle-fest, until I cried.
Think quick and drive the tractor forward, re-loading the weight to the rear truck tires

Think quick and back the tractor back down, which would unload the trailer and reapply weight to the truck.

Whatever you do don't jump and run.

On my old beater, I welded "hitch receiver like" sockets to the rear corners, and attach cheap tongue jacks. This of course limits how far the rear of the trailer can depress while also helping to prevent damage to my trailer.

And......I've been there......or the start of it--when loading my old Toyota swapped cletrac onto the old trailer.

This was my Unca Bill admiring the Cletrac I think 2010. Lots of snow that winter

Unca_Billsc.JPG

That is not what is going on here. When he loaded the tractor, the weight at the rear unloaded the rear tires, and there was nothing to stop any of it.
I agree, a friend and I done the same thing when we were younger, 2wd truck on a slight grade.
Unloading a Scout, it lifted the rear wheels on the truck, the truck took off like a bullet right towards his parents new camping trailer.
We managed some how to get the steering wheel turned, thru the window with the truck moving, and just missed the camper.

I agree, a friend and I done the same thing when we were younger, 2wd truck on a slight grade.
Unloading a Scout, it lifted the rear wheels on the truck, the truck took off like a bullet right towards his parents new camping trailer.
We managed some how to get the steering wheel turned, thru the window with the truck moving, and just missed the camper.
i had something similar happen to me a while ago...
i was hanging out at church after the service just hanging out with some church buddies
(my wife had gone home to drop her car off)
as we're talking, we're over by my buddies dakota (i think it has the 4.7 in it)
he had the truck idling and his two year old was playing in the truck, like 2 year olds do
he was in the back, then in the front, then on the driver's side, just all over the place
well, at some point he made it to the drivers side and had one hand on the steering wheel, the other on the gear selector
the kid jumped up and managed to slam the truck in gear
since the truck was running, it lurched forward and took of
(i mean, not very fast, it was only idling and started from a stand still)
so i darted towards it, reached in (the windows were down) and slammed her back in park before she hit anything

so of course, every one is relieved, and im feeling pretty good about myself
im pretty sure i was beaming the entire drive home

then i walked into the house, and my daughter is sitting in the living room playing
so i say " hey Lil, where's your brother?"
and then i realized...i was so busy feeling good about myself, i left him back at church

My old shop teacher had that happen to him while loading a car so he used to preach his experience to the younger people.

By not using the E brake or wheel chocks with any automatic transmission, you're putting a LOT of weight and tension on that little bitty parking pawl which isn't very big or strong.

A truck that new, 99 % chance it has an auto and same odds it broke the pawl.

Use wheel chocks, even on level ground because you gotta pull the whole transmission and tear it down almost completely to replace the pawl

eb03d73b2e0c4e798c7b5e405132dba9.jpg

Nothing broke until the end! He lifted the rear end of the truck off the ground... keep loading!

-
Back