Junkyard Jewel

-
Interesting! I may just have to consider something like that. I could afford $1500 more easily than what I would have to pay for a good 340.

Interesting! I may just have to consider something like that. I could afford $1500 more easily than what I would have to pay for a good 340.

I also thought it would be nice to keep the factory drive train albeit hot rodded....

Don't get mislead by the $1500. Article is 11 years old. The laws of physics have not changed so the results are still valid, but many parts' prices are considerably higher now. So count on $2k minimum..with good shopping AND if you can get that level of head flow in your garage.

And that is with NOTHING being done in this article to the bottom end...what are the odds of getting a 30 year old engine with rings and bores good enough to support 400 HP? If it worked at all, it would likely wear out quickly. Ka-ching.....more $$ for the bottom end. Looks as if they just ran it on the dyno, not in a car for many miles....not what most folks do with an engine! "It was great on the dyno, and is an even better coffee table stand!" LOL

The one big challenge is that getting 215 cfm flow from a start of 135 cfm flow in the intake ports from a home porting job could be tough, unless you have done it before. So I feel the 'get a grinder and learn how to use it' statement a bit much....I just can't say how much comes from the porting and how much from the valves, Serdi cuts, etc.

And, there is a lot more to this build than is said; I bet some careful work went into the assembly. I seriously doubt this was just a 'throw these parts together' build. Still, 350-400 HP for $3k would be a pretty decent return.

Don't get mislead by the $1500. Article is 11 years old. The laws of physics have not changed so the results are still valid, but many parts' prices are considerably higher now. So count on $2k minimum..with good shopping AND if you can get that level of head flow in your garage.

And that is with NOTHING being done in this article to the bottom end...what are the odds of getting a 30 year old engine with rings and bores good enough to support 400 HP? If it worked at all, it would likely wear out quickly. Ka-ching.....more $$ for the bottom end. Looks as if they just ran it on the dyno, not in a car for many miles....not what most folks do with an engine! "It was great on the dyno, and is an even better coffee table stand!" LOL

The one big challenge is that getting 215 cfm flow from a start of 135 cfm flow in the intake ports from a home porting job could be tough, unless you have done it before. So I feel the 'get a grinder and learn how to use it' statement a bit much....I just can't say how much comes from the porting and how much from the valves, Serdi cuts, etc.

And, there is a lot more to this build than is said; I bet some careful work went into the assembly. I seriously doubt this was just a 'throw these parts together' build. Still, 350-400 HP for $3k would be a pretty decent return.

Common sense says a 200,000 stock bottom is a shaky foundation to build upon. However, I think the key to the article is this: You can get performance out of your 318. There is no shame to bolstering up that capable little 318 Ma Mopar put in your A-Body.

My Duster is a 74 and when we first started talking about getting a car he was 14 and was like "dad, we need to find a 360 so we can have callouts on the quarters. No one puts 318 call outs on the Duster...."

I saw an article on Allpars website that in 74 Chrysler Detuned the 360 to 230 HP. The 2 barrel 318 HP rating in 74 was 230, same as the 360 with a TQ.

To me there is something to be said about getting the most out of Ma gave you.....

According to a few of the guys on here I trust, that HP figure is inflated. Of course magazine articles would never lie, would they?

Yes, they would.

My appologies for the error on Allpar. Anyway, all I'm trying to say you can get a hell of a lot more out of a 318. It isn't a given that they should all be hauled out to the curb as trash.

Agreed.. and not being critical of anything....just pointing out a few things that might make this less true for typical costs and results than it is presented. As a cost perspectives:

1) We did an almost stock /6 rebuild last January, and besides good basic machine work to the head and block boring, we put in new stock parts except for a very mild torque cam, and had the head shaved .050". No new carb or exhaust and we assembled it here. Cost a bit over $1100.....

2) Our current 340 build to around 400 HP, built solidly for long term reliable street running, is pushing $5200-5300 with decent new parts all around (except reused the cast 273 crank, timing cover, pan and such bits), not absolutely the best parts, and we're doing all the assembly and blueprinting work here. The new Edelbrock heads cost about 30% of this build, so did not push the budget up extremely high by themselves. Got the block cheap for a 340.....$300.. so we did not start out with a lot of cost there.

I agree that the 318 has potential, but 360's are a dime a dozen, and your already 40 plus cubes bigger to start with. Not to mention, there are way more options on the piston side of thing's for the 360. Like I said, I think it's cool to get hp of of the 318, but dollar for dollar, your way better off starting with a 360.

According to a few of the guys on here I trust, that HP figure is inflated. Of course magazine articles would never lie, would they?

Yes, they would.

Is the HP figure inflated.......don't really know..........would they lie........maybe, don't rightly know. It comes down to damage of their ethics and credibility if they got caught, don't know why they would risk the possibility, it is their bread and butter.

Dulitch went on to write 3 or 4 more articles about 400 plus HP 318's, different recipes, none of which were all that special; of the ones built, I would say this one is the most difficult to reproduce due to port work done to the heads.

It is a good build, cuz it does say "look what can be done" with what is other wise a throw away. Your results may vary.

-
Back