Junkyard Power steering options

-

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks.

I have a 74' Duster that is going to have a 360 put in it. (originally had 318)

My primary knowledge of mopars is circulated around 1980's rams and ramchargers and some 1990's rams and jeeps.

My duster has manual steering but I was thinking that if my wife is going to be driving it in the future, it might be a good idea to put power steering in it.

I know there are aftermarket options such as flaming river, borgeson etc. but they are very pricey.
Now I got to wondering is there another type of mopar let's say in a junkyard that I could pull out the power steering box and it would bolt right up?
Dusters and Darts are in extremely short supply here where I'm at, in fact there is only a 75' dart slant 6 that is picked clean in one salvage yard. All others don't have anything.
I did see a 78' Diplomat in one and a 79 aspen in another, both have 318's.
Are they possible candidates?
Sorry for the newbish question, I can tell you almost every nut and bolt on a 1980's ram/ramcharger, but still need to expand my knowledge on these cars.

The Dippy would be a fair choice for the steering gear (so would the Aspen). Get a rebuilt pump at the parts store for the 74 (or the pulley set that is on the 360 - the year and vehicle it came out of) and hoses for the pump.

The Dippy would be a fair choice for the steering gear (so would the Aspen). Get a rebuilt pump at the parts store for the 74 (or the pulley set that is on the 360 - the year and vehicle it came out of) and hoses for the pump.

Duh! I should've thought of that one... Sheesh, all college and no play makes me forget about the parts stores. lol

Thanks for the suggestion by the way, really do appreciate it. Guess I'll have to give Autozone, Napa or C&H a call get the prices.

Recommend a cop car box from an F/M/J cop car. Some New Yorkers had a Firm Feel boxes, too. You may need to swap out the pitman arm on the box. There are two things that will render the pump unusable. First is junk in the pump, second is damage to the pump body or reservoir. I've never had a problem with a junk yard pump, but I may be overdue for disappointment.

Ok... Went to a salvage yard that was next to a military surplus store (Smith & Edwards) that some of the locals are familiar with. (BTW anybody from Utah here?)

They had a 1974 Dart Sport with a slant six, pretty much hacked and stripped, BUT it still had the power steering gear box in it.

4 hours later I have it for only $25.

Let me tell you that thing is a beast, it's bigger than my old Ram's gear box and heavier too. Sheesh! Now I gotta get a P/S pump...

You will need a V8 pulley for it not the slant six. Just went through this event myself.

Ok... Went to a salvage yard that was next to a military surplus store (Smith & Edwards) that some of the locals are familiar with. (BTW anybody from Utah here?)

They had a 1974 Dart Sport with a slant six, pretty much hacked and stripped, BUT it still had the power steering gear box in it.

4 hours later I have it for only $25.

Let me tell you that thing is a beast, it's bigger than my old Ram's gear box and heavier too. Sheesh! Now I gotta get a P/S pump...

For me, that steering gear would be my core exchange for a reman'd gearbox. The reman'd would go in with a little locktite on those 3 bolts followed by happy moparing for years to come.

Doesn't the column need to be modified for this?

Personally...I would rather not have power steering.

Yep, 3 inches difference in the column shaft length, p/s being the shorter.

Normally I wouldn't mind manual steering. HOWEVER, my wife is going to be driving this as well I'm sure she'll enjoy it better than turning that steering wheel a bunch of times in the parking lot.

I count about 5 1/2 turns lock to lock.

The resistance wasn't bad for me but then again I'm built like a line backer (at 6 feet tall and 235 lbs) not sure if my wife can, she says its fine but it might change once she tries to maneuver in it.

I still have a power steering pump from my old 1988 Dodge Ram will that one work with this particular gear box?
This power steering pump is only 6 years old.

I've seen a to of Saginaw pumps in Chrysler vehicle's in the local Ecology wrecking yards. I actually pulled one for my '74 Duster and it works with no leaks too! It has a bolt on pulley. Some have a press on pulley.

If that dart still has the steering column in it you might want to get it as the power steering column shaft is around 3 inches shorter than the manual column shaft.

-
Back