Just a little advise

-

Jim's 70 Dart

jim' 70 dart
Reaction score
I like to look at members rides and admire all the hard work they've put into there cars, but one thing that bothers Me is when you look at the front of the car you see body color through the grill. You should black out any body color that shows through the grill. The car will look even better. the factory used a flat black paint. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade just
my opinion for what it's worth.

im with you on that my old 64 4door val was painted body color through the grill with my famliy re did it i never liked that when it came to me years later i was about to fix that and do it in flat black i got smacked so i just sold it u can bet the new barracuda will be flat black later

I like to look at members rides and admire all the hard work they've put into there cars, but one thing that bothers Me is when you look at the front of the car you see body color through the grill. You should black out any body color that shows through the grill. The car will look even better. the factory used a flat black paint. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade just
my opinion for what it's worth.

lol

Mopars came factory all the same color as the outside of the car,engine bay,behind the grill.I,m guessing you like black in the engine bay also?LOL.:read2:

I like mine body color. Advice for you. Its spelled with a c.

Attachments

• car show 040 (Large).jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 539
I just love guys (*Super Sarcasim here) that give out free advice not only on how to ruin the car but adjust it so they like it better even though it didn't come that way from the factory.

The body, when painted at the factory, was not blacked out in the grill area nor was the engine bay.

Dealers used to send cars out for Ziebart rust prevention (undercoating).
When this was done, they would do the WHOLE engine compartment, all but a small section on top of fire wall. + over sprayed everything else LOL!I hate the way it looks, but like the NO RUST benefits! They even sprayed it inside the trunk deck ribs!
I have a Dart also that never had the treatment and is as you say, same color as exterior EVERYWHERE! Whatever was faster and easier at the factory was best!

I got to say though and go 1 step further. On a few Mopars I've owned I've had completely blacked out grills (67 BOF) and really liked that look too.

My 2 cents worth, to each his own + sometimes the car tells you if it needs the color or the flat black behind the grill. Each cars other details and flavors should leed you to paint it how you feel the individual car looks the best in the owners eye.8)

Black behind grill = Pop for grill
Blacked out grill = Bad Ace with attitude and can back it up
Color behind grill with patchy at best some here some not flat black = stock factory feel.

LOL!:-D

It is ones opinion. I like the painted body look. My A/C cond is black to give some depth. And to say "You should black out any body color that shows through the grill. The car will look even better." I think it don't. SO maybe you should paint yours body color???? LOL...

" I think it don't. SO maybe you should paint yours body color???? LOL...

True, "It is ones opinion." and for his car, this may be the right move. After reading my post, I'm not knockin the idea, just the line "You should" burns me up a bit.

Wadda ya mean, "I should"? NO! You should get your own danm car and do it that way. I did my car my way, and thats the bottom line, MY WAY! Not yours.

Sorry for the mini rant, I just hate when people say "You should have ....."

It's like the old engine displacement line. You built a what??? You should have gone bigger. Never mind that you spent lots on that stroker... they still allways give free unwanted advice on how to spend you money and then knock ya for not spending what they think is enuff.

What I know of blacked out grills areas is. At the factory light colored cars whites, yellows, reds etc. had the grill area painted flat black, while dark colored cars blacks, dark browns' dark blues etc. were not. Yes! Ma! Mopar made exception to this rule. The engine compartments were not painted black.

my 1/2 cent

Dealers used to send cars out for Ziebart rust prevention (undercoating).
When this was done, they would do the WHOLE engine compartment, all but a small section on top of fire wall. + over sprayed everything else LOL!I hate the way it looks, but like the NO RUST benefits! They even sprayed it inside the trunk deck ribs!

LOL!:-D

i wish they did that to my dart!

What I know of blacked out grills areas is. At the factory light colored cars whites, yellows, reds etc. had the grill area painted flat black, while dark colored cars blacks, dark browns' dark blues etc. were not. Yes! Ma! Mopar made exception to this rule. The engine compartments were not painted black.

That's what I've always read. Light coloured cars got the blackout treatment behind the grill while there was no need to do it to the darker coloured cars. The op didn't say to paint the engine bay flat black, so I don't know where that came from.

Do to your car whatever you wish and makes you happy. That's all that matters.

Wylde1.

mine is also body color

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 517
that's what i've always read. Light coloured cars got the blackout treatment behind the grill while there was no need to do it to the darker coloured cars. The op didn't say to paint the engine bay flat black, so i don't know where that came from.

do to your car whatever you wish and makes you happy. That's all that matters.
wylde1.

x2

Jim is not going to like the Dart when it's put back together...

Attachments

• Body Color Through Grille.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 489
I guess the factory screwed up bad when they blacked out the grille/radiator yoke in my 340 swingers, and 340 demons... hemi orange, vit c orange and lemon twist cars.

The factory absolutely DID paint the radiator yokes black on cars with light exterior colors. If you snoop around the net, you can find pictures of the process at the plants.

I agree, Do your car the way you want it.

I like em either way but prfer the factory color on some cars and not on others....just my preferences on my cars only ya'll can do it any way you like and i won't be tossin ya under the bus for it just keep up the good work ya'll :cheers:

You know what really grinds my gears, when people paint the shock hardware. Its one nut, take the bushings off please.

DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH YOUR CAR! Haha, look at me, the factory thing isn't my style but I love going to shows and seeing em the way they came off the show room! If everyone's car was the same life would be a bore!

That's like me saying EVERYONE should black out the '70 grills! I like the look but I would never tell anyone to do it if it wasn't their preference!

Mine's light blue and the behind grill area is light blue.

The car has been repainted, but the engine compartment, and that area were not.

Maybe its a year-based thing?

Jim is not going to like the Dart when it's put back together...

Barracuda either!!:-D

DSC_0226.jpg

You know what really grinds my gears, when people paint the shock hardware. Its one nut, take the bushings off please.

I thought about painting my compartment and leaving that stuff in there or painting it then setting it back on top... Just cause you enjoy it so much! :-D

I don't like it either.

Did a quick walk around my stuff for the yoke color
70 Duster 340 B5 - blacked out
71 Duster 318 White - Blacked
71 Duster 318 White - Blacked
70 Dart 4 dr F5 green - Blacked
70 Swinger 340 - Lemon Twist - Blacked
70 Swinger 340 - Vit C - Blacked
72 Demon 340 Hemi orange - Blacked
72 Demon 340 Lemon twist - Blacked

Have fun!

-