Just a sanity check here.

-

MPH426

Reaction score
I've got a '67 Dart with a 340, a modified 727 trans with a reverse valve body. It currently has a Cheetah SCS cable shifter. The previous owner hacked up the front and back carpet to accommodate the shifter.
I'm going to replace the carpet and want to change the shifter out to something like a Hurst or B&M that sits a bit lower, and the boot can sit on top of the carpet.
Since it's a cable shifter, I shouldn't have to worry about where first, second and drive are on the shifter. The first gear past neutral will be first gear. I can still pull it toward me as the valve body is reversed at that point. It would be nice if it read like the Cheetah, but not necessary. Am I thinking right or am I nuts. :D
Any other shifter makes, models, etc... suggestions would be welcome. Also, if there are any shifters where I could use the original console would be awesome!

Hurst Pro Matic2 WILL fit under factory console. You have to trim one side down, but it's non structural, and it ain't much. Just did one in the Duster. You will have to mod the shift indicator, because it's a ratchet type... there's a few articles here about some other ones also... Love This Place!

Maybe not totally obvious I guess, but you can use a bone stock console shifter with a reverse manual valve body. Replacement gates are available and preserve the original look.

Maybe not totally obvious I guess, but you can use a bone stock console shifter with a reverse manual valve body. Replacement gates are available and preserve the original look.
Dig that, and maybe I screwed up. I saved EVERYTHING, posted it up twice, but I may keep it. Not loving the Cable gimmick, just wanted a faster shifter, w/ positive locks.. and when my car jumped into reverse, 2x, and could have damaged the neighbors, Or WORSE, killed someone (especially a Child) , in my case, nothing did happen (THANK GOD!!!!!!!) could have ripped the door off too. Ever have a Lil Duster w/ 4:10s with a nice lil 340 pop in reverse? You start moving, FAST! My old Camo D-200 4 Door was at a High Idle, 4:30s, 318 built for all bottom end torque jumped into first, bout killed my old neighbor... we were both under the hood.

Last edited:
I had this picture handy as I was going to post and ask opinions on doing a wheel swap.
I have 727 reverse manual vavle body. Cable is front exit, and took just a small cut in carpet.
It's a Hurst

DSCN0051.jpg

Just an FYI....just last year, I bought one of those conversion gates for the stock shifter for one of my cars... I got it John Cope, at CRT in Indiana.

I replaced a turbo action cheetah in my car(rmvb) with a B&M pro ratchet. Some don't like it because you have to ratchet it every time, and it has a reverse lockout. But it's quite compact and the lever is always in the same place. I built a support to lift the whole shifter to where I wanted it, and made a simulated pistol grip handle for it. I suspect it can be installed under a factory console.

I replaced a turbo action cheetah in my car(rmvb) with a B&M pro ratchet. Some don't like it because you have to ratchet it every time, and it has a reverse lockout. But it's quite compact and the lever is always in the same place. I built a support to lift the whole shifter to where I wanted it, and made a simulated pistol grip handle for it. I suspect it can be installed under a factory console.
Pics!???? Lol! PLEASE???

-
Back