Just a thought

-

MarzGraphixDesign

Reaction score
This question doesn't really pertain to small blocks. Its just a general question or, thought. Why is there no round port design's. Do they not work? Do they have poor flow characteristics? I know the oval W2 ports work awesome with less transition from rectangle/square does. I was just thinking with a round port there would be no transition.

I read in an old hot rodding book that D-shaped ports with the curve facing upwards are best but that round ports are harder to machine.

I'm thinking with all the technology and, 5 axis cnc's it shouldn't be hard to machine anymore. On the "D-PORT" shape I would agree, since the Chevy cathedral took it to the limit. We know how that worked.

If you are talking about exhaust ports...you want to shape the air so it is a quiet as possible and not really consider what it flows.

On the intake side, an oval port only works if you can get the port high enough and long enough to make up for the area you lose over a rectangle.

It's all a compromise. I have some square ported W-2's I used to make power at 8500 and they were barely good enough. And that was on only 340 inches. You have to have volume and shape. Sometimes one outweighs the other.

some pontiacs and what about the Boss Ford
if you run out of room going round wide then you stretch up and down

Here's my thought...Surface area causes drag and reduces airflow. A round shaped tube has the least surface area for its volume and should flow the best. You have to compromise, but the sooner you get round the better.

Like that old farse that air going down a long intake track cause friction and heat making the car slower.

Air doesn’t flow through the TQ primaries at W.O.T.

Tattoos make you tough.....

LMAO

Packaging. You can't get a large enough round port in the dimensions of a std wedge type overhead valve engine. Pontiacs have the funky pushrod tube, and Boss engines are huge-mongus.

Packaging. You can't get a large enough round port in the dimensions of a std wedge type overhead valve engine. Pontiacs have the funky pushrod tube, and Boss engines are huge-mongus.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I said. I just didn't say it as succinctly.

Like that old farse that air going down a long intake track cause friction and heat making the car slower.
You mean like a slanty? lol
No brainer on a slanty,lol

If you own a slanty, maybe, cuz you need all the help you can get,lol

double-LMAO

My apologies to any slanty worshipers trolling here;
I have had several,hopped up and not, so I know how you feel,
and you know I'm right;lolololololololololololo
9 times out of 10

LMAO

After testing and working on two diff. intakes, the shorter runners flow the best on an edelbrock.

I used to have a picture of a Boss 429 head with a coke can in the intake port... If you look at a lot of DOHC heads the intake ports are round, then taper into oval or figure-8-ish designs as they reach the bowl and valves.

-
Back