Just a ventalating rant about how much my life sucks

-

Rengo

Reaction score
My Duster is not what you would call reliable so I decided to try and depend on a newer car. So my dad decides he is going to help me and throw some money at a 91 ford tempo that would get about 22 mpg so it sounds great!!
But today, wouldn't you know it, we find more problems with the car that we decided that are not worth fixing, we are going to try to trade it in and get a dependable ride that I can drive to and from college.. we are now out $1000. I am starting to think I should have just fixed the transmission in the Duster.

A 91 Ford Tempo is an awfully old car also. A 22 almost 23 years old is likely to have issues. The salvages have crushed most of that era of car they have making parts hard to come by.

Lol, if that is old, then I am older and I am only 23.. :( I am not from a well off family at all, I never had a mom so this car is pretty much new to me. I had a 98 Chevy lumina and it failed on me as well.

Monday we are looking at a jeep probably a 96ish

Lol, if that is old, then I am older and I am only 23.. :( I am not from a well off family at all, I never had a mom so this car is pretty much new to me. I had a 98 Chevy lumina and it failed on me as well.

Monday we are looking at a jeep probably a 96ish

Jeep Cherokee with 4 liter? Money pits also..... Good luck in your searches.

Any Jeep is a money pit and they don't get good mileage so you better have deep pockets to own one to drive to college.

I bought a '91 Corolla from my buddy for a $1000 and drove it close to 10 years. After the first 4 years of me owning it, it burned a valve and developed a light miss at idle. Couldn't pass smog. So I went down and bought one of those low-mileage long blocks from Japan, a 4AF-E I think it was. You know how much? $105.00. Couldn't believe it....I almost bought a 2nd one just for the helluvit. By the way, my son now owns the car, and it's still dependable as all hell. 5 speed, of course.

Whatever car you decide on, realize that all its components are probably old and may need to be replaced piece by piece. That's just the price you pay for no payments.....so it's best to start with a proven reliable, fuel efficient car in the first place. At least you'll become a pretty adept mechanic.

I have a 2000 Jeep with the 4.0 and brought it brand new and still driving the thing all I have done to it is a water pump and brakes best car I have ever own so far 160,000 miles on and still going STRONG

low buck its hard to beat a v6 s10. I picked up a 96 with 130k on the clock cheap and i,m almost to 260k with only ball joints and a water pump and alternator. Valve covers never been cracked.

I have a 2000 Jeep with the 4.0 and brought it brand new and still driving the thing all I have done to it is a water pump and brakes best car I have ever own so far 160,000 miles on and still going STRONG

They get a bad rap. I bought a new 94 4.0, drove it to 215,000 miles. Only problem, one radiator and water pump, u-joints. Sold it at the buy here pay here lot I worked at. A woman name Dawn drove it to 355,000 and gave it to her brother. I bought a new 2002 4.0 Grand Cherokee, drove it 185,00 miles, sold it to a guy I worked with for his daughter 6 years ago. No major repairs, just maintenance. They both got 19-20 MPG. If those were not what you call a good car, I guess I don't know what one is.

Mid '90's Tercel is a good cheap transportation for a college student. I love my '95 5-speed with cold a/c. Never gotten less than 36 mpg, usually 39. They are getting harder to find though.

I vote 92-96 318 Dakota.

MUCH like working on familliar RWD Mopar cars.

Not the best MPG, but can be super reliable, and esy to work on and find parts for.

96-03 Dak is also very similar.

Both can be had for a couple grand (or less) in decent condition.

Man my $400 89 tempo was a great car. Beat the hell out of that thing. Got decent mileage too. Drove it for a coue years before it started over heating.

Sell the duster, get what you can for the tempo and go buy something reliable. Now is not the time with school and all to be messing with an old car.

I just think you guys need to do a better job picking out a daily driver. Plenty of reliable cars out there.

Look around for a Honda civic, Toyota echo. Tercel, corolla. All great cars for a kid in school that needs transportation. Stay away from the crap that gets poor mpg. You don't need to go broke trying to keep gas in the thing at this point in your life

Just sayin!!

Attachments

• Htc touch pro pictures 050.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 460
Any Jeep is a money pit and they don't get good mileage so you better have deep pockets to own one to drive to college.

We got 18 mpg out of our grand Cherokee 4x4 on 33's. so I don't what poor mileage your talking about. The ignition coil is the only thing we had to replace on it in a 2 year period

We got 18 mpg out of our grand Cherokee 4x4 on 33's. so I don't what poor mileage your talking about. The ignition coil is the only thing we had to replace on it in a 2 year period

18 is good for that style truck but in the grand scheme of things it's crappy compared to a ricer that gets 30+mpg.

And to the Op. if you think your life sucks now because of something so stupid just wait till you get in to the real world. Your gonna be suicidal. Lol

a good runnin A body slant six. 20 plus mpg. yes its old and will require replacing maybe who knows what. rear nd if 7 1/4? but truly great motor. it at least has a value runnin or not, a 20 yrs old modern car not runnin is scrap?
been a Mopar guy many yrs but several yrs ago i bought a 95 Ferd Ranger after crashin a deer. it had 180,000 mi. got it for $1000 cause sometimes it wouldn't start, seller didn't bother to tell me that? turns out to be $14 relay, drive it till it had 330,000,only ever changed the oil and tires, no tune, never replaced anything but water pump! ya i know! its a Ferd! then i sold it for $300 , buyer and i agreed maybe cam was wore out. 4banger Mitibishi.

I second getting an old Toyota.My oldest bought an 86 Celica that had 129,000 on it and put another 100,000 on it and other than normal maintenance the only thing replaced was valve stem seals.If he hadn't totaled it he still might be driving it.Got great fuel mileage also.

-
Back