Just as slow as before mods..

-

Steve Mcbean

Reaction score
I bought this Demon with 318 stock everything, 3 spd tranny and weak rear end. I invested over 24K in upgrades and it still drives the same. Tires won't even chirp at takeoff. Would an MSD ignition significantly increase power? What's missing in the recipe?

Upgrades below:
Rebuilt V8 318 engine and heads/valves w New 4 barrel AVS2 carburetor, New performance cam, New aluminum performance intake manifold, TTI stainless headers/exhaust, New high amp performance alternator, New performance aluminum radiator w dual fans, New gas tank w high pressure pump, New 3sp w OD tranny, New Dana 60 rear end w 3.73 gears w trac loc

BTW, I'm not a wrench head anymore and don't have a garage with snap-on tools, lift, or even a spanner wrench. Thanks fellas

I'm trying to digest ... you spend 24k in american dollars and can't chirp a tire and it's no faster ?? Short list:
  1. What is the initial timing?
  2. What is the total timing?
  3. Is the throttle going all the way open?
  4. Is it firing on all 8 cylinders?
  5. Compression test numbers?
I'm not sure where to even start honestly, but it should be a peppy little bugger.

This isn't a major contributor to why it isn't any quicker, but why did you go with the Dana 60 behind a 318? The Dana is both heavier and 'eats' more horsepower than an 8.75" rear end. I bet it may have cost most than an equivalent 8.75.

I'm trying to digest ... you spend 24k in american dollars and can't chirp a tire and it's no faster ?? Short list:
  1. What is the initial timing?
  2. What is the total timing?
  3. Is the throttle going all the way open?
  4. Is it firing on all 8 cylinders?
  5. Compression test numbers?
I'm not sure where to even start honestly, but it should be a peppy little bugger.
1. Dont know
2. Dont know
3. I dont think so, yet the peddle to the metal
4. It better be. Feels like it is
5. Never done

Shop promised big performance, but I think they only installed without making adjustments and tunings. I wont take the car back to them.

I would share the link where i have it for sale, but admin might not like that.

This isn't a major contributor to why it isn't any quicker, but why did you go with the Dana 60 behind a 318? The Dana is both heavier and 'eats' more horsepower than an 8.75" rear end. I bet it may have cost most than an equivalent 8.75.
The shop recommended it. They claimed they would have the engine running tip top, but they delivered the car without any tuning. they just installed the stuff and got my money.

I noticed that too. He has a really heavy differential in there that's Overkill, he has a overdrive transmission which eats up power but not only that..it has a numerically lower first gear 2.45? The 904/998/999 had lower 1st up to 2.71 or something right...
... And then he probably had a cam thrown in that sounded like it would be a power maker in the description...but quite possibly he has stock replace or a non blueprinted compression ratio..coupled with stock'ish timing, possibly not degree'd and taller tire offsetting the rear 3.73 .
Just what I first think of from the opening post.

I knew a guy that had a lokar throttle cable bracket and pedal setup and drove around for years with about 1/3 throttle opening ...thinking it was fully open and just slow. Lol

I would add that San Antonio doesn't appear to have any shop that know squat about muscle cars, especially Mopar. After Covid, most hot rod shops either closed and the ones still open dont return calls or taking business.

I invested over 24K in upgrades and it still drives the same.
Holy cow!! I know it was a while ago, but I surely only have less than half that invested in my Indy headed MW port 470 wedge. Not only do the tires chirp, but if you listen carefully, you can hear me poopin my pants at launch lol.

I noticed that too. He has a really heavy differential in there that's Overkill, he has a overdrive transmission which eats up power but not only that..it has a numerically lower first gear 2.45? The 904/998/999 had lower 1st up to 2.71 or something right...
... And then he probably had a cam thrown in that sounded like it would be a power maker in the description...but quite possibly he has stock replace or a non blueprinted compression ratio..coupled with stock'ish timing, possibly not degree'd and taller tire offsetting the rear 3.73 .
Just what I first think of from the opening post.
Makes sense now. Everything done to the car was recommended by the classic car performance shop that had many hot rod cars in the shop and great reviews.

can you be any more specific about the motor specs? what are the cam numbers, what's the compression ratio, what intake. as 318willrun noted what's the tune like?

while all the stuff on your list after the TTI headers are certainly good things to have they have near little input on how the car actually runs.

you should be able to do a one wheel peel with a wheezed out 318 2bbl backed up by a clapped out 904 and 2.95's.... something is amiss.

The Dana 60 per se is NOT what is eating power, although it certainly will eat some

Refer back to POST2

Tire size?
Cam specs?
Timing?
As mentioned carb opening AND JETTING, what do the plugs look like?

It is pretty easy to overcam a SB with low compression, and pretty easy to overcam a 318, specially with stock ish heads/ valves/ ports

after reading your responses, it looks like you got swept up by the shop and just went along with whatever it was their ideas were. more than likely you've got low compression and a thumpr cam and the possibility of mismatched heads/intake combo for the whole set up.

basically the: let's throw all these parts that people know the names of that we can get from the catalog and have striking eye appeal type build.

anyway, it sounds like the bones are there and i'd at least invest a afternoon of basic work to try and dial in the combo before calling it all hot garbage and kicking it to the curb.

I would add that San Antonio doesn't appear to have any shop that know squat about muscle cars, especially Mopar. After Covid, most hot rod shops either closed and the ones still open dont return calls or taking business.
I feel your frustrations for sure. Don't need a lift or garage to sort you most of it. If you are in this hobby, you better learn it. You've already proven "why". Lots of info out there, starting right here on this site, others and youtube. Doing the "basic" checks is the bare minimum. Very simple mostly, and if a person knows enough to even get things "close",, they are generally happy.

I have a hood friend who builds all kinds of cars ( for himself) that may be able to atleast give a loom at it. He's in San Antonio. Pm me if you're interested and I'll get ahold of him.

I feel your frustrations for sure. Don't need a lift or garage to sort you most of it. If you are in this hobby, you better learn it. You've already proven "why". Lots of info out there, starting right here on this site, others and youtube. Doing the "basic" checks is the bare minimum. Very simple mostly, and if a person knows enough to even get things "close",, they are generally happy.
What hobby? I saw a car I liked, and bought it to drive it. That's all.

As for learning, naw man. Too old and dont have the time. Need to pay bills. Besides, "hobbies" also require tools, and auto hobby requires lots of tools and tools cost money I dont have anymore.

Last edited:
Has the current configuration been tuned?

-
Back