Just as slow as before mods..

-
here's what I recommend, in order of complexity;
>does the car roll easily in Neutral?
>does the transmission shift and get all gears (don't care about overdrive right now)
>Proving the flash-stall rpm, and
>proving that your rear gears are actually 3.73s, and
>and yes,as mentioned, make sure the 4bbl is opening all the way by the gas-pedal. This is a two-parter; first the throttles, all 4 of them, have to go vertical; and second, the Secondary air-door has to go vertical when the airspeed gets up.
>a proper compression test, and
>a full ignition timing report. This means your Power-Timing, with the Vacuum advance defeated, from the stall-rpm, to at least 3600 or whenever the Distributor stops advancing; the idle-timing, and sub-stall numbers, are of no importance at this time.

IMO,
no one can help you until ALL of these are known, and
the answers may lead to other questions.
Otherwise we are all just guessing.

Last edited:
What hobby? I saw a car I liked, and bought it to drive it. That's all.

As for learning, naw man. Too old and dont have the time. Need to pay bills. Besides, "hobbies" also require tools, and auto hobby requires lots of tools and tools cost money I dont have anymore.
well, it sounds like it drives just fine, so I say drive it. You started a thread, were just trying to help. Best of Luck !! :)

It's your car and you don't know? I can tell this is an uphill battle, but we'll try.
I only know what the shop claims. If you read some other posts, I think I mentioned the shop went out of business, so after i picked up the car and had complaints, they werent taking calls anymore.

I only know what the shop claims. If you read some other posts, I think I mentioned the shop went out of business, so after i picked up the car and had complaints, they werent taking calls anymore.
Well, the best way is to do it yourself. So if you're up for it, we can help. If not.....well......

It's your car and you don't know? I can tell this is an uphill battle, but we'll try.
after seeing this:

As for learning, naw man. Too old and dont have the time. Need to pay bills. Besides, "hobbies" also require tools, and auto hobby requires lots of tools and tools cost money I dont have anymore.

i'm inclined to think that battle really isn't worth fighting.

steve, in the vintage car world it's pay to play. you either pay somebody or you pay with your own blood, sweat and tears.

laying out cash and learning is part and parcel to the whole enterprise. so you either lay out that cash to a pro or invest in time and tools. or like, take up underwater basket weaving or whatever.

after seeing this:

i'm inclined to think that battle really isn't worth fighting.

steve, in the vintage car world it's pay to play. you either pay somebody or you pay with your own blood, sweat and tears.

laying out cash and learning is part and parcel to the whole enterprise. so you either lay out that cash to a pro or invest in time and tools. or like, take up underwater basket weaving or whatever.
I usually say stamp collecting or tiddly winks, but yeah. lol

doubtful. Car runs like a Sunday cruiser.
maybe because that's all it is? we don't know what cam it has in it, nor intake or carb.

3.70's aren't a particularly steep rear gear, especially considering we don't know the tire size or what transmission is might have.

what i'm saying is that there could be a lot of room or improvement, or not.

Yeah, it drives fine, although the gas tank leaks too after mechanic installed it twice. So, sadly, I don't even drive it because of that. Just trying to sell it at this point. I really loved this car when I first saw it. The paint is beautiful and the body has no rust anywhere, was also rotisseried paint job. I think it might be cursed, maybe "Demonized" Lol.. That, or the shops that put their hands on it ripped me off. I think the latter is more true. But I do have receipts of all the parts and saw the parts brands they put on, so I don't think they ripped me on parts.
:popcorn:

*clenches fists* *yells to the heavens*
show me the paperworkkkkkkkk!!!

maybe because that's all it is? we don't know what cam it has in it, nor intake or carb.

3.70's aren't a particularly steep rear gear, especially considering we don't know the tire size or what transmission is might have.

what i'm saying is that there could be a lot of room or improvement, or not.
Ok here's what I got as per receipts:

1. Machine work for resurfacing heads and valve job, repaint engine
2. Carb - 500 cfm Edelbrock AVS2
3. Cam - Grind 260H RPM 1200-5200
4. Weiand intake
5. Rear End - Strange Traction Loc Dana 60 PRSL05 35 spline 3.73 gears
6. Tranny - Exner Performance A518/46RH with torque converter

Yeah, it drives fine, although the gas tank leaks too after mechanic installed it twice. So, sadly, I don't even drive it because of that. Just trying to sell it at this point. I really loved this car when I first saw it. The paint is beautiful and the body has no rust anywhere, was also rotisseried paint job. I think it might be cursed, maybe "Demonized" Lol.. That, or the shops that put their hands on it ripped me off. I think the latter is more true. But I do have receipts of all the parts and saw the parts brands they put on, so I don't think they ripped me on parts.
From your side of the story, you were ripped off by the shop. Period. They took money and didn't deliver. It is getting harder and harder to find old school mechanics. With the Loc rear end and if you have drag radials, it may not spin the tires at all (that's what those things prevent, wheel spin). However, you said after all the "upgrades", it performs no different and that's where you were taken by the shop. If you have no interest in at least learning the bare basics and a 200 dollar tool collection which would include a timing light, then I agree, you are better off selling it. Good Luck with your sale

True. Why I'm selling. Been a long, expensive battle for 3 years with most of them years in the shop. And when out of the shop, something fails they installed and right back into the shop for more months. I'm done.
if you're tapping out, you're tapping out. i get it.

understand, a few things here though: if it's not running well, it's gonna be a tough sell and what you paid for anything or to anybody has exactly zero-point-zero bearing or effect on that.

second point: we all know you dropped buckets full of cash here. don't go into selling this thinking that you're going to recoup all that dough. you'll be lucky to get about half back out. this will be magnified by all the short comings: leaky tank, poor running, a rattle or a squeak that's funky.

third point: when you go to sell, be as honest and transparent as possible. while i know it's a kick in the teeth, ultimately being forthright and upfront will move a car faster.

final point: if you can rope somebody in to help you out or find somebody that actually knows their *** from a hole in the ground this would pay tremendous dividends. either they help you get the car sorted so you can enjoy it, or they help you iron out some of the problems and that enables you to sell the car easier.

best of luck man!

IMO,
no one can help you until ALL of these are known, and
the answers may lead to other questions.
Otherwise we are all just guessing.
What I mean is, that if your compression tester shows 125psi, well that's a problem. We can all dance around the campfire pissing on the ground, but we can't drown the fire like that.
Or say your distributor is stuck at 15 degrees, that's a problem.
Or say the secondaries don't open at all.that's a problem
or say the brakes are dragging, the ring-gear is tight, or the U-Joints are bound up.that's a problem
Or, what if your car has multiple issues.
I love your car
and I would be awful tempted to buy it,
but it's just too rich for me.
But the truth is that the 318 would be fixed, pulled, and sold, along with the Dana, and it's gears. Since the tunnel was modified to accept the A500/518, it can stay. ...... even tho I'm a stick-man.
I will patiently wait right here, for answers.

Ok here's what I got as per receipts:

1. Machine work for resurfacing heads and valve job, repaint engine
2. Carb - 500 cfm Edelbrock AVS2
3. Cam - Grind 260H RPM 1200-5200
4. Weiand intake
5. Rear End - Strange Traction Loc Dana 60 PRSL05 35 spline 3.73 gears
6. Tranny - Exner Performance A518/46RH with torque converter

did they touch the bottom end at all? i see no mention of pistons/bore etx. which leads me to believe that they just freshened up the top end. which fine... but... what's the compression/health like of the engine.

leading into the cam, which is basically a 340 cam. so it needs a *little* compression. weiand i'm guessing a dual plane, so probably a stealth. with a 500 AVS 2 isn't awful, but slightly under carb'd

i mean, it looks like you've got all the pieces there for a decent little street motor. you're not gonna be a world beater, but it should be able to roast the tires a little bit.

but all that's WAG'ing without knowing if the bottom end is a 8:1 clapped out craig's list "rebuild" refugee.

did they touch the bottom end at all? i see no mention of pistons/bore etx. which leads me to believe that they just freshened up the top end. which fine... but... what's the compression/health like of the engine.

leading into the cam, which is basically a 340 cam. so it needs a *little* compression. weiand i'm guessing a dual plane, so probably a stealth. with a 500 AVS 2 isn't awful, but slightly under carb'd

i mean, it looks like you've got all the pieces there for a decent little street motor. you're not gonna be a world beater, but it should be able to roast the tires a little bit.

but all that's WAG'ing without knowing if the bottom end is a 8:1 clapped out craig's list "rebuild" refugee.
the fact that he says "no change" from when they touched it in the performance says it all. He added a nice exhaust and other nice components. Something should have changed. I would love to have a nice Saturday to mess with it..... that would be so much fun just to see what a guy would find and pull out of it for performance. So much fun!

There are lots of us on here "old". I'm 74, and not exactly in the best of shape. Last summer, from end of Aug through end of Nov, I tore my 2WD Dodge Cummins completely apart, another parts truck completely apart, and converted mine to 4WD The thread:

Frankly, unless you are VERY VERY well off financially, you can not afford these cars--unless you are willing to learn and do at least SOME work yourself. I cannot do bodywork, paint, for example. Your only other alternative is to REALLY look for a dependable mech who likes and actually works on and understands classics in general, and Mopars particularly. You can waste/ throw away/ get scammed out of one hell of a lot of money, that will end up doing you no good

I do know the engine is a 1972 LA. #2536030-318-3

the fact that he says "no change" from when they touched it in the performance says it all. He added a nice exhaust and other nice components. Something should have changed. I would love to have a nice Saturday to mess with it..... that would be so much fun just to see what a guy would find and pull out of it for performance. So much fun!
verily.

a couple of guys in the driveway with $200 and a basic set of tune up tools and a saturday would have a party. and $100 of that would probably be beer.

Glad you PM'd @4fortyDemon . His Hood (Good) friend can hopefully have a quick look at it. Might just need a good tune starting with Timing.

If it's the car in your avatar, it's a beautiful car. It should be driven, not hidden!!!

I do know the engine is a 1972 LA. #2536030-318-3
that only establishes that it's a 318 and nothing of note, really.

it's like a white piece in a landscape puzzle. we're looking for the border pieces so we can fill in the middle. or, like the corner of the thatched roof of the cottage, i don't know, i'm losing my touch for analogies here.

if you're tapping out, you're tapping out. i get it.

understand, a few things here though: if it's not running well, it's gonna be a tough sell and what you paid for anything or to anybody has exactly zero-point-zero bearing or effect on that.

second point: we all know you dropped buckets full of cash here. don't go into selling this thinking that you're going to recoup all that dough. you'll be lucky to get about half back out. this will be magnified by all the short comings: leaky tank, poor running, a rattle or a squeak that's funky.

third point: when you go to sell, be as honest and transparent as possible. while i know it's a kick in the teeth, ultimately being forthright and upfront will move a car faster.

final point: if you can rope somebody in to help you out or find somebody that actually knows their *** from a hole in the ground this would pay tremendous dividends. either they help you get the car sorted so you can enjoy it, or they help you iron out some of the problems and that enables you to sell the car easier.

best of luck man!

verily.

a couple of guys in the driveway with $200 and a basic set of tune up tools and a saturday would have a party. and $100 of that would probably be beer.
Straight up true. I dont know anyone like that anymore. Them were great times. My neighbor owns a 65 mustang and he can barely bend over pick up the paper these days, much less come over and help me tune the car, drink some beers listening to BTO...lol

Glad you PM'd @4fortyDemon . His Hood (Good) friend can hopefully have a quick look at it. Might just need a good tune starting with Timing.

If it's the car in your avatar, it's a beautiful car. It should be driven, not hidden!!!
Yeah she's nice to look at. She's a nice cruiser too, just not the rod it looks like. Definitely needs tuning, but by someone who knows or teach me. Waiting on 4fortyDemon to see what he says about his buddy.

13.jpg

22.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

20230427_143006.jpg

20230427_143019.jpg

25.jpg

20230427_143319.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah she's nice to look at. She's a nice cruiser too, just not the rod it looks like. Definitely needs tuning, but by someone who knows or teach me. Waiting on 4fortyDemon to see what he says about his buddy.

View attachment 1716083472

View attachment 1716083473

View attachment 1716083474

View attachment 1716083475

View attachment 1716083476

View attachment 1716083477

View attachment 1716083478

View attachment 1716083481
24k.... what's another 4k ?? Ship it to me and I'll make that Demon a Screeem'n Deeemon!! Kidding. You have a beautiful car. Oh, the picture alone already answered one question: It doesn't have Drag Radials on the back. Smok'n those BFG's should be easy.

-
Back