Just bought a 360

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I just bought a 360 complete engine today casting number on the side is 53006921 date code on the other side is 11/7/90. Now whats odd is this motor has a roller cam in it. I knew roller cam could be installed in these motors which is why i was buyin it but i didn't think the 91 dodge vans which i came out of had roller cams in them that year. Was this roller cam installed from the factory or is this the doing of aftermarket work.

Are the pushrods oil-through or solid? There were a couple years before the Magnums that they used roller cams with the old style heads (oil through head not pushrod)

I think roller cams started in '86 but the heads still oil through the shafts. Not til magmuns for pushrod oiling.

360s got roller cams in 89...with LA head thru 91

318 got roller a couple of years eariler

What are the casting #s on the runners of the heads? Sounds like you have the predecesor to the magnum motor.My memory totally fails me on the casting #.I remember the exhaust ports being nearly the equal of the magnums but with the la's bigger intake.

Somebody save me!!

The Commando 360-360hp used this style block with the raised lifter bores and drilled and taped valley bosses for the lifter "spiders". The heads are probably the same as the older 300 and 360 horse crate engines.

Yeah, its a factory LA hydraulic roller engine. Same lifters as the Magnums but no hollow pushrods. LA heads oil the top end thru the ocker shafts. IMO, you have the best possible street engine candidate there.

that is the correct casting number heads for that year block...

kool any comments on the heads any good or should i swap in my J heads for right now. I'll probably be running this engine untill i get the part for my stroker.

You will want to run the 308 heads with that block, the 308 heads are very good and if you run the J heads with the roller cam and lifters you will run into push rod clearance issues with the J heads.

if i where to run this engine with out going into the bottom end, just a cam change about how much power will it make. last question how much compression did they make in 90-91 360's

i would guess 8 or 8.5 to 1..

changing cams?....you might need to check those valve springs are the stock cam has about .400 lift....

are you staying with a hydraulic roller or ???

Yeah, its a factory LA hydraulic roller engine. Same lifters as the Magnums but no hollow pushrods. LA heads oil the top end thru the ocker shafts. IMO, you have the best possible street engine candidate there.

I have the same engine here, 308 heads, hollow pushrods, roller cam and rockers on a shaft. It's a great combo!! Mine came from a pickup truck.

yeah from what i've looked up they come in either truck's or industrial veh. or in my case a van. I'm thinkin if i drop it in my Dart with headers and alum intake. It'll make something close to 300 hp maybe.

If you do decide to go with a cam Hughes sells regrinds at a resonable price. Make sure you have valve reliefs in the pistons too. I have seen more than one late model that did not have any.

-
Back