Just Bought a 72 Demon.

-

Dirty_Demon

Reaction score
I just purchased a 72 Demon. Original slant 6 car and pretty much clean. Only exception is some idiot former owner thought bondo is better in quantity so he/she applied that theory to the drivers front quarter panel.

I am in the process of pulling the K member out and for the last two weeks have been researching suspension and 5.7 hemi swaps.

I currently have a 5.7 hemi out of an 06 cop car. I have a built 727 tranny so I am all set there. For the EFI i'm running megasquirt. I noticed from all the reading I have done that to put a Gen III into this Demon I will need a shoe horn and a bit of fabricating. I don't mind the fabricating ( i just switched from offroad to muscle cars so I have done a LOT of fabricating ). From what i can see there are a few players when it comes to replacing my k member.

1. QA1 which used to be CAP and is located down the street from me here in Minnesota. They seem to have a nice product and the k member they make will work with schumaker GEN III motor mounts.

2. HDK suspension.. now this one is a mystery. I have found posts, images and great things about it ( HemiDenny I think ) BUT I can't find a website. Does one exist?

4. Magnum Force .... I um didn't really find many good things about them.

5. XV ... expensive ... very expensive but seems like nice stuff

6. AlterK or RMS or "Bill". Now this is a nice product BUT like XV it's expensive. He seems to have the whole hemi swap figured out with power steering and headers. Just expensive.

To be honest I'm surprised I found that many options since Mopars tend to never get must support. Don't get me started on the lack of support they 70's trucks and ram chargers have. I can build a damn Chevy truck from any number of catalogs but found myself scouring junk yards for parts..

So right now I am about finally make up my mind on suspension and just go for it but before I do I have a few more questions that maybe people on here can help me with.

1. Does HDK have a website?
2. How do I contact HemiDenny to ask him some questions about his setup?
3. Anyone done a hemi swap in an abody with any of the above mentioned k members. With the exception of the AlterK setup I haven't been able to find anything

Thanks for any help and/or input.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have been playing with molars for a while but always in the truck area. I know very well how expensive and what a pain they can be. With that said you can't replace the satisfaction of destroying a bowtie.

My last engine was a 400 with forged internals, worked heads and a slight compression bump. That engine dyno'd at 432 HP and 511 torque on a fast ez efi system I have also played with 360s and 318s.

There is a key lime green demon with a 408 sticker on the back. I assume a 360 stroked. Nice looking and sounding car but that rules out a 408 stroker and key lime green for me. I want to be different. I also want to be badder. Is that a word? Don't care.. If not then I just made it up. I wanted to do the 5.7 because I thought it was different. The more I look the more I see it everywhere. Bummer. Imam rethinking my engine of choice. HP can be pulled from anything but it seems like a true muscle car is defined by not just HP but also the sound. No matter how hard I look, I can't find a 5.7 that rumbles like a sb, b or rb with a big can. Everyone has a personal preference but nobody can argue a big can sounds mean.

So here is sit.. Trying to figure out the engine. I am definitely changing the kframe some still need to settle that but as if that is not enough I am torn between the modern Hemi or old school horse power. What to do, what to do

Depends on what you want to do with it. New Hemi's dont ring my bell,nor does efi...but that's just me, I like a car with character and just prefer old school over new tech. It's all been done, so being Mopar may have to be different enough.

I weighed all the options when I started building my car...

Hemi...too much cash!

Big block 440 or stroker...nice wow factor, but a pain in the *** to work on and fit and more nose heavy than I wanted.

I decided I wanted to have a car that could pin you to then seat and still have some agility.
I tried to shed a little weight and not spend too much on power. Not sure I made that goal, lol.

I ended up with a pretty common combination - stroker small block with aluminum heads that will run fast on pump gas,cruise on the highway,take a corner and sound good!

.040 over 360
"4 MP cast crank
Wiseco pistons and Edelbrock 63cc heads with 10.1:1 cr
1-5/8 headers
3500 stall Turbo Action converter and 3.23 Sure Grip

Just my personal taste, interested to see what you come up with.

Let's see that Demon!

Funny thing is I was looking for a 70-71 Challenger when I found my Duster, but it was love at first sight and all the pieces fell together...my Mom's 72 /6 Duster from 2nd grade, a Demon I saw at a gas station once...I didn't know I was an A Body guy until it hit me! I think we are maybe even a little more different than the average black sheep Mopar fan. I still want a 70-71 Challenger or 68-69 Super Bee but my Duster will be mine until I die, I truly love everything about it.

No pics yet. Its sitting in Iowa. I am waiting for my truck to be fixed so I can go get it. I verified it was a real demon ( a lot of clones ) and I bought it off a well known Mopar guy. My cummins needed some love.

Bad tranny
Bad torque converter
Bad rear main seal
Bad turbo
Rotted oil pan
Bad oil pan seal
Rotted tranny cooler lines
Bad can seal

As if that isn't enough, problems with warranty company, pureturbos.com sent me the wrong turbo

I SHOULD have my truck Friday. If so I will have demon on Sunday

Damn... Maybe its sentimental or maybe its familiarity but I miss my 400.. Would love to build a stroker. That motor surprised everyone that rode in that truck

-
Back