Just curious...

-

danmc77

Reaction score
This is not meant to offend anybody, so please don;t take it that way.

I always hate seeing a fresh resto or paint job on an old mopar, and being able to see the body color through the grille. Why do people continue to assemble their car after a new paint job without blacking out the area behind the grille? The factory did that, right? IMO, it just ruins the entire look of the front end and grille, when all you can see is the radiator support area shining through.

Anybody else have an opinion on this? For or against?

I am not sure but isnt this kind of hit and miss as to which cars got blacked and which didnt

Not many mopars had a blackout behind the grille unless it was a black car. That was just another step in assembly and not cost effective.

Body paint was often an overspray and seen through the grill. Just like engine color on the negitive battery cable and intake to water pump hose on small blocks. I think it's silly looking myself, but tat is the way they came.

I'm not for or against, it's just the way it came when new.

OH, and what Redfish said below, now that I read it, Black engine bays, HATE IT!

Yeah I've seen that 100s of times. I could see myself getting in a hurry to put one back together and forgetting to black out the radiater support.
On most models it's a real chore to take the grilles out again.
If and when you see a mopar engine bay painted black and the body color though the grilles too, just shoot the owner. It's justifiable homicide. LOL

I think they look good that way.

I agree, better than a black engine compartment on a red car, but hey, it's their car, they can't put a Hyundai motor in it for all it matters.

I think they look good that way.

I agree, better than a black engine compartment on a red car, but hey, it's their car, they can't put a Hyundai motor in it for all it matters.
Sure - they can do whatever they want - i'm just stating my opinion. I just never understood why people leave it that way. but I was under the impression that the factory blacked out a portion of the radiator support - so if they didn't, I can understand why people would leave it body color.

For the record, this is an original 73 Duster, with the original paint job - NEVER repainted. You can clearly see that the entire radiator support area was painted black - so I am still thinking the factory DID do it:
IMG_1041.jpg

Different color (other than black) on the door jambs is what get's my blood boiling.

There is no doubt they blacked out the grille area. Here is a pic of my Dart, with original paint.

I think the reason people dont do it is they just dont know that this is how they came,or they dont care.

These are the tricks you learn as you go with these cars. My first car,I had no idea the engine bay was suppose to be the color of the car. So what did I do ? I spray bombed it black !!!! DOH !!!!!

Its is interesting how you can walk around a car, and pick it apart with what is right and not. I mean what is the first thing you look at when you open the hood ? The radiator cap......So you better have the right one !!!!!!:toothy10:

Learn as you go I guess.........8)

Picture 187.jpg

faucet pics 658.jpg

I like the body color behind the grill look myself. I think it looks cool through a sharktooth. But never a black engine bay ( unless the car is black). Just me personal opinion.

umm...what is the "right" radiator cap? Isn't it one that works? Forgive my ignorance....

oh I don't mind either color or black out....don't like door jams different though...

My yellow 67 dart has the entire radiator support (including the sheet metal behind the headlight buckets) blacked out. Seeing color through the grill is one of my pet peeves as well. I suppose, after spending $$$ on a new paint job, some just find it hard to cover up with cheap flat black. Another neglected place is the wheel wells.

Right as rain..........Wheelwells and radiator supports............Very distractin from the finished product if painted body color, especially a high impact.

They'd be much better with a good grade of hot rod black.....something easy to clean.

Overspray in the wheel wells. Guilty as charged. :(
Remind my to correct that come springtime.

every freakin mopar i do is always the same.Trunk,engine bay ,doors, even underneith the car is always the same colour.The only area that never mastches is under my carpet normaly black.but we all have our own taste right.

Although all theses cars are beautiful, it just doesn;t look right when you can see right through the grille. It's just not supposed to look like that. Again, just my opinion - not saying people can't do what they want with their cars...
1969_Superbee_0561.jpg

71Dem340e.jpg

af50_12.jpg

80699241T0I0jxqH.jpg

I agree Dan. Dark color cars don't need the blackout. Light colors need it.

Twist Yellow cars are the worst for having a body color rad support. That bee being a good example. Like putting a neon light behind the grille. To me the focal point of the front should be the grille and a bright color behind it takes away from the grille contrast.

So....How was it when it left the factory?

Blacked out or body color....

-
Back