Just dumped all my tranny fluid!

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
Last October I pulled my engine and transmission and replaced all my seals and gaskets. Tranny went from leaking a quart a week to zero leaks since then. Today I drove to the auto parts store and picked up a quart of oil (didn't quite get all the oil leaks stopped). On the way back I stopped at a store about 500 yards from the parts store. Went to leave, backed up, put it her in drive and nothing happened. WTH! Popped the hood, thought my linkage might of come loose. Tranny fluid was gushing from the bottom between the block and the bell housing. Turned around and saw the river that followed me from all the way from the parts store. I know it wasn't leaking there. What could have blown out to dump that much fluid, that fast? Only thing I can figure is the front seal came out or the torque converter split wide open. Had a friend with a wrecker come get her and take it to his shop. Anybody have this happen before? Thanks!

Most of the time when one sits up, dirt daubers will build in the vent tube.

^^^ What they said: Front pump seal

I've had it happen on the way home one night. I noticed smoke coming from behind the vehicle -- Fluid was hitting the exhaust... Turned in to the nearest store and got out to notice the trail of fluid I left behind and the puddle underneath.

Pump seal holds back drops.

If it is the pump, then it is the bushing letting all that fluid out or worse.

That's encouraging. I didn't drive it more than a couple hundred yards so maybe it didn't burn anything up. Thanks guys!

Yes, seal holds back drops, until it comes OUT of the pump, then it DUMPS fluid.

I was trying to be gentle!

Kinda sounds like the bushing came loose and half welded itself to the convertor snout and spun in the pump housing. Hope I am wrong!! But when that much fluid comes out that fast it is not a seal. Maybe like RRR said the vent is plugged and it is pushing past the seal. I would be prepared for more of the worst though.

The snout on the torque converter is also known to crack out of the back corners of the two slots that drive the pump. This crack will propagate and first show as a small leak which increases as the crack grows, possibly this is what has happened.

I have had this happen to me before. At any rate, you will need to pull the tranny and look at the vent, front seal, torque converter snout etc.

Converter hub could be damaged as well. Only way to find out is to drop the transmission.

Already planning on worse case scenario, replacement. Anything less is a bonus. Gonna let friend who towed it, pull it and give me a damage report. He knows a rebuilder and can get me a decent deal. Known him a long time, work with his wife. He's honest and a straight shooter, no BS and no sugar coating. I trust him and whoever he trusts. If it needs rebuilding, I might just buy a TCI. Opinions?

I was trying to be gentle!

Kinda sounds like the bushing came loose and half welded itself to the convertor snout and spun in the pump housing. Hope I am wrong!! But when that much fluid comes out that fast it is not a seal. Maybe like RRR said the vent is plugged and it is pushing past the seal. I would be prepared for more of the worst though.
Thanks for trying to save my feelings! I hate crying in front of fellow car guys.

I appreciate all the input, thanks!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I have lived it and it is just part of it.

Best of luck and I hope it is the minor side of the worst.

make sure convertor you get (if needed) has same snout diameter, balance and bolt size.

The vent is located in the front pump about at the 12 o'clock position.

Gonna let friend who towed it, pull it and give me a damage report. He knows a rebuilder and can get me a decent deal. Known him a long time, work with his wife. He's honest and a straight shooter, no BS and no sugar coating. I trust him and whoever he trusts. If it needs rebuilding, I might just buy a TCI. Opinions?

Just a word of advice. I did this same scenario. My buddy is in the auto parts business and he knew a guy with a transmission shop that would rebuild my trans pretty cheaply. We took my car to him and he rebuilt it for $500 including a shift kit and torque convertor. Fast forward five years and we decided to pull it back apart and replace the seals because it has always leaked and it was already out for my engine swap anyway so we figured what the hell. I had a competent 727 guy (member VOETOM) look at it and he was surprised that the car even moved under it's own power. He found so many things wrong with it that we quit counting.

Long story I know, but my point is make sure you get a guy that knows 727's inside and out. Not some guy who's used to working on Fords and Chevys and thinks he can figure out "one of them there Chrysler transmissions".

As far as buying a TCI or any other brand for that matter, I would think that would be fine until you try to get some warranty work done. I like having my guy right down the street and I can talk directly to the guy who rebuilt my transmission and tell him what it's doing.

Just my early morning two cents. Hope it saves you from making the same mistake I did.

The vent is located in the front pump about at the 12 o'clock position.
Thanks again, RRR! I'l have that checked. She's been my daily driver for the past 6 months, 100 miles per day, and never letme down since I've gotten running well. This is the first "major" breakdown she's had since I got her last July.

All these guys sayin it's comin out here or it's comin out there that's all well and good. The idea is not just to FIND where it's leaking, but WHY. A stopped up vent will make it leak out of the front seal real quick. It's a real shame Chrysler didn't do what GM did and have a nice exterior vent tube coming out of the top of the case. Then you would not have to pull it to find out.

Just a word of advice. I did this same scenario. My buddy is in the auto parts business and he knew a guy with a transmission shop that would rebuild my trans pretty cheaply. We took my car to him and he rebuilt it for $500 including a shift kit and torque convertor. Fast forward five years and we decided to pull it back apart and replace the seals because it has always leaked and it was already out for my engine swap anyway so we figured what the hell. I had a competent 727 guy (member VOETOM) look at it and he was surprised that the car even moved under it's own power. He found so many things wrong with it that we quit counting.

Long story I know, but my point is make sure you get a guy that knows 727's inside and out. Not some guy who's used to working on Fords and Chevys and thinks he can figure out "one of them there Chrysler transmissions".

As far as buying a TCI or any other brand for that matter, I would think that would be fine until you try to get some warranty work done. I like having my guy right down the street and I can talk directly to the guy who rebuilt my transmission and tell him what it's doing.

Just my early morning two cents. Hope it saves you from making the same mistake I did.
Good point, Brian! Thanks for the tip. This is my first Mopar and I've come to realize it's a whole 'nother world from the Ford universe I' m familiar with. Cool world but different for sure. I do have some nephews, on my wife's side, that are Mopar or No Car kinda gear heads and I'll be enlisting their aid if I get antsy.

All these guys sayin it's comin out here or it's comin out there that's all well and good. The idea is not just to FIND where it's leaking, but WHY. A stopped up vent will make it leak out of the front seal real quick. It's a real shame Chrysler didn't do what GM did and have a nice exterior vent tube coming out of the top of the case. Then you would not have to pull it to find out.
Good advice as always, RRR!

-
Back