Just dumped all my tranny fluid!

-
We have a winner! And it's the "or worse". TC wobbled around and took the pump housing and TC both. Full rebuild requiring new front pump and who knows what else. She was already slipping in drive, uphill at low rpm so maybe other "hard" parts required. Taking it to an old tranny guy with a good local reputation for full diagnosis and estimate.

Well... If it did not run long the pump may be fine. New bushing properly staked with new seal, and a TC might be all that is required. If it was slipping and fluid loss was not a previous issue then yep rebuild it.

Good luck.

Thanks! I figured it'd need rebuilding sooner or later, sooner than later. The slippage has been there since I got her and has always been an annoyance.

Make sure to check the flex plate, you need to know why it failed.

It is easy to knock the bushing out of line if you fail to mate the engine and trans together correctly and bump the TC. Or by not gently spinning and pulling the TC up to the plate before installing the bolts. I always pull them and install them together or drop the trans first to prevent that. If you have ever made that mistake as I did a long time ago you will never repeat it.

When I pulled them and replaced the seals/gaskets last October, it went back together pretty easily. Did have to rotate the TC to line up the flex plate bolts because my paint marks got rubbed off while I wasn't paying attention. But the TC was up against the flex plate with 4 bolts in the tranny/block and it pulled in close enough to still allow spinning the TC in neutral. Was able to thread the TC bolts all the way down almost by hand. It went together much easier than expected. I've had to fight Fords and Chevys before. And, like I mentioned before, it's been running smoothly since then until Friday. Been reading on the TPL adjustment procedure and I know my kickdown has never worked so that's been out of whack. Could that be another contributing factor? Thanks for all your advice and input!

Was able to thread the TC bolts all the way down almost by hand. It went together much easier than expected. I've had to fight Fords and Chevys before. And, like I mentioned before, it's been running smoothly since then until Friday. Been reading on the TPL adjustment procedure and I know my kickdown has never worked so that's been out of whack. Could that be another contributing factor? Thanks for all your advice and input!

Thats what is important!

It does seem off that you have driven 100+ miles a day since October before this happened. If your throtle pressure has been out of whack due to kickdown linkage adjustment then Shift issues are understandable (And even clutch and band wear) but not failure of the front pump bushing (IMO). Maybe more here than a few posts uncover.

She was a real mess when I got her last July. PO has no clue what he was doing. Front lug nuts were on backwards and all were loose. Vacuum ports on the carb disconnected and not even capped. 3 quarts low on oil and a gallon low on coolant. Tranny was 4 quarts low on fluid and slipping terribly. Drove it home 45 miles on the highway at 40 mph and afraid she was going to come apart. Fixed these things and she ran like a champ except for the slipping in drive thing. Always has shifted kind of hard going into 2nd and winding up a bit high (TPL adjustment?) but smooth and easy going into third. Downshifts were reasonably smooth and at semi-appropriate speed and rpm.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9WTWayCC8"]1971 Volume 71-2 Shift Quality and Linkage Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for that video, PoisonDart! I get it now. Any way around the "special tool" or having to lower the lever to insert it on top? I have a hard time getting down under there and working on things. Old age and big bellies are not conducive to under car work. Just wondering if somebody has some "tricks" that make it easier to set up.

-
Back