Just got a 1973 Duster. Total survior car!

-
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My name is Albert and I'm from Seattle, WA.

I own a bunch of classic cars that I like to restore/fix up, and I had an opportunity last week to pick up a survivor 1973 Plymouth Duster.

Not my first Mopar (I have a 1968 Charger) but my first A-Body.

Car showed up at a shop my friend works out. It's a 2 owner car (current owner bought in in 1980) and it's been garage kept it's whole life. It hasn't been driven for about 5 years (last oil change was may of 2005!) and it was towed into the shop to get it running.

The owner mentioned to my friend he was thinking about selling it for a ridiculously low price, so my buddy called and I bought it sight unseen.

It's a totally stripped down base model, but it's in AMAZING shape and unmolested. Slant six, bench seat, manual everything, AM radio - as basic as it can be. However, I love it because it's SO untouched.

The car hadn't run for many years and needed a complete fluid change. I flushed the brakes, oil change, coolant and hoses have been replaced (not shown in the pictures). It needs a carb rebuild and valve adjustment but otherwise it runs very well, doesn't smoke and idles smoothly with 18hg of vacuum.

It also came with a trunk full of NOS parts, as well as the dealer brochure, owners manual and factory service guides.

It does have the rear quarter rot at the VERY bottom of both quarters, but the trunk and floors are PERFECT.

My plan is to wash it, detail it, and leave it alone. I want to keep as much of the patina as possible. Get it reliable and clean, but keep it unmolested and modified. I'm going to patch the lower quarters, but I'm going to blend the paint at the body line to keep as much original paint as possible.

The drivers side regulator teeth are stripped so I have a replacement coming from ebay. Those are the only mechanical problems.

Even the original AM radio and speaker work great!

The only "modification" I've done is to remove those body moldings (they are coming loose in a bunch of places), and I'm probably going to put the Gold Duster stripes on them to cover the paint fade around where the moldings were. I also found a set of vintage 14" rallye wheels I may install (but I'll keep these wheels too)

So that's it! I just wanted to share.

I am curious if anyone can explain the front seat covers - the backs have a houndstooth pattern and the front is all black. Do you think this was a later re-cover?

Love to get your thoughts. These are the pictures my friend sent that got me to buy the car. Thanks!

V__24A8.jpg

V__4C71.jpg

V__A936.jpg

V__BCEF.jpg

V__F03E.jpg

V__37BD.jpg

V__8E27.jpg

Welcome, nice score. I have relatives in Kent and Enumclaw. I love the area.

-
Back