Just got my own place...

-

pharmboy

Reaction score
My bid went through on ebay this morning...I'm now a motorhomeowner...now to just talk to my bank and make travel arrangements to pick it up. Either this is the coolest thing I've ever done, or the biggest mistake I'll ever make. Whatcha guys think?

safari.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... The rolling party mobile! :eek:ccasion: :drinkers::eek:ccasion: :drinkers: Yeah! Let's all go for a ride! :toothy7:

How big's the holding tank in that thing? :pottytra::pottytra:

Wylde1.

Maintance will kill you. Do yourself a favor and make sure they give you all the service manuals for each appliance including the heater, ref. and APU. With the right paperwork you should be able to service it yourself. Don't forget to get a few gallons of RV antifreeze to dump in the drains.

With a good knowledge of all the systems and proper maintance you should be able to have years of enjoyment with it.

Good luck and enjoy, Jim

PS, there are some very good books out there on keeping them up. Just google RV maintance.

Well, I was lucky to find this one. It's a 1994, but it's a one-owner, fully-loaded, aluminum skin, cummins 5.9 diesel that's been worked over by banks. and Capacities are 100 gal fuel, 100 gal fresh water, 55 gallon gray water and 55 gallon black water.

What are your plans, weekends or an extended trip? My friend has one, I know he only allows "#1" in the holding tanks no "#2."

Fulltiming...since my job is 100% travel, I figure this makes more sense than most conventional living spaces. Although I'm usually on long-term projects, the opportunity for weekend trips w/out having to get a hotel is appealing.

cool! I got a 35' G.M.C. 4107 1966 ex greyhound with a detroit 871 and 4speed enjoy your new toy!

I have a co-worker who purchased a 40 foot 5th wheel to live out of. We are on projects that last 5-8 weeks at a time. Depending on the location and time of the year, sometimes it can be a real PITA for him to locate long term parks to setup in. You would be surprised at how many times the campgrounds are booked up for various reasons such as state fairs, all sorts of regional festivals, sports events/tourniments and so forth.At times he has to setup 40-50 miles from the project site. Sometimes I even acquire monthly hotel lodging cheaper than he can rent a concrete pad w/electric due.
I know he now regrets the purchase of said lodging due to the amount of maintenance/upgrades to the tow vehical and all associated aspects of "camping" that comes with it. Even the most "winterized" packages will run you in the ground keeping them warm during a Dakota winter.

One of his 1st lessons was just because your hooked up to a full service site, you still need to keep the holding tank valve closed, if not all the fluids will drain and leave the solids sitting in a pile. Right before you travel drain the tank and drop in a 20# bag of ice, as you travel the ice will scrub the holding tank and loosen up the "stuck solids" before melting.

Congrats on your new home, hope you enjoy.

uuutttt ooohhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no, I talked to the bank a few months ago. They said I was good for up to $25K on an RV loan with a term of up to 10 years. I just need to get them the info on the unit, let them do a price workup and then sign papers and they'll cut me a check...

They say a boat owners two best days are the day he buys the boat, and they day he sells it. I suspect this goes for motorhomes as well.

They say a boat owners two best days are the day he buys the boat, and they day he sells it. I suspect this goes for motorhomes as well.

Well, if I wasn't already nervous about this decision...Although, I won't need to make any vehicle modifications to my pickup, since this one's self-contained...

Well, if I wasn't already nervous about this decision...Although, I won't need to make any vehicle modifications to my pickup, since this one's self-contained...

Yeah, I think I'm in the market for a boat. Everyone says it's a hole in the water that you throw money in. :)

Fulltiming...since my job is 100% travel, I figure this makes more sense than most conventional living spaces. Although I'm usually on long-term projects, the opportunity for weekend trips w/out having to get a hotel is appealing.

I think it could be really fun in some ways. However you say it's your home away from home due to work right? I've had some buddies with the same situation where work takes them away for extended periods of time and the thought of a motorhome was mentioned. Unfortunately these guys found out that the cost of maintenance and gas on the motor home in addition with the cost at the RV park outweighed the cost of merely driving an economical car and hotel fees. Sorry I had to say that but it's what I've heard from these guys.

My bid went through on ebay this morning...I'm now a motorhomeowner...now to just talk to my bank and make travel arrangements to pick it up. Either this is the coolest thing I've ever done, or the biggest mistake I'll ever make. Whatcha guys think?

I love how you give it a 50/50 shot and while there is a hint of truth to that, I wish you a happy trouble free million miles of fun, luck and great times with it.

(Do NOT travel through NYC with it, I'll come to you in Jersey! LOL!)

So you got a Safari.. What year is that, If I remember it is a 95 or 96 by the paint job.....I used to build those and I am sure I had a part in yours as I was there when it was built....Hope it works out well for you as they were pretty good coaches...

Nice find Pharmboy!Could you write any of this off with your taxes?Travel,accomadations,fuel,maitanance.Just wondering,happy travels!:glasses6:

They also make excellent tow vehicles. I borrowed a 32 ft. Winnebago and a car trailer to go the the Nats in 2000. (my trailer wasn't finished in time) The 454 Chev got 5.1 mpg but I stayed at the campground right next to the track for a lot less than the cost of a motel and I could just walk back to my car.

Good luck with yours and don't forget----PROPANE WORKS GREAT!!

For under 25k id say you made a good choice if you travel a lot, a buddy of mine lived out of one for a couple years and said he didnt mind it at all, keep it in good shape and it should depreciate too much either it already went through its big price drop. Looks really clean, good luck and happy travelin'

They also make excellent tow vehicles. I borrowed a 32 ft. Winnebago and a car trailer to go the the Nats in 2000. (my trailer wasn't finished in time) The 454 Chev got 5.1 mpg but I stayed at the campground right next to the track for a lot less than the cost of a motel and I could just walk back to my car.

Good luck with yours and don't forget----PROPANE WORKS GREAT!!

I'm guessing it'll tow just about anything...according to Banks, the package they put on should be good for about 800 ft-lbs of torque...and about 9.75 MPG.

-
Back