just got this car and i dont know where to start.....

-
Has anyone mentioned painting the engine compartment yet? :-D

Nice score, you have a great start on a very nice ride.

haha thanks guys.. at first i was skeptical but you guys def backed up my choice... and im only a 19 year old kid but ive been around drag cars all my life cuz of my dad so i think i can do it and only have to ask him for help if i really need it

im pretty excited to get this going

got any ideas on how to get this on my trailer? haha

I used a piece of oak i had laying around, some 6x6 scraps and a couple of casters

View attachment Dartonwheels.jpg

View attachment Dartonwheels2.jpg

I bought a 81 Imperial that the guy took the complete suspension out from under it (front & rear) The same casters and piece of oak that was under the dart is now under the Imperial. The frame rail spacing is the same so I just had to bolt it on

You could get a few guys and muscle it on or use a floor jack also

haha thanks guys.. at first i was skeptical but you guys def backed up my choice... and im only a 19 year old kid but ive been around drag cars all my life cuz of my dad so i think i can do it and only have to ask him for help if i really need it

im pretty excited to get this going

plus i got the best garage to build it in! full pit, engine lift. and every tool i could need
View attachment garage.jpg

Now if he wanted the car, it wouldn't be there, or be moved to a different stall. Main ?, who has the title?

Get some large swivel casters then fab & weld up something that can bolt to the front bumper bolts. Basically a post welded to the casters with a palte welded to that with holes for the bumper holes. Or get a decent sized appliance dolly with 4 casters on it and put it under the k frame. OR go dig in the storage unit and/or car and look for the spindles.

Paint the engine compartment whatever color you feel is most practical and suits your personal taste. The only reason most Mopar engine compartments are body color is that it was convenient and cheaper to paint the unibody all at one time. Anyone who doesn't believe me needs to check out a few C bodies and later B bodies with separate splash shields. Racers who swap engines alot usally paint their compartments a different color, grey, black etc. If you're doing a resto, of course paint it body color, but otherwise do what you want.

BTW, great score!

..........I can tell u that up here in Canada, u have to have a bill of sale from the OWNER, not someone else.......as they do not have the rite to sell it.....1 of my friends bought a car same as u, from the guys wifey.........she did not own it........took 3 years to restore it and approx $20,000.00...........He registered it last May....it only took 1 car show, and 1 month to have the police come seize it........He has spent another 6-7000.00 in court trying to prove he is the legal owner.........He told me a couple weeks ago that he has a bad feeling about the outcome.......I really wish him luck as quite a few parts came from me....kim.......

:tongue9:
..........I can tell u that up here in Canada, u have to have a bill of sale from the OWNER, not someone else.......as they do not have the rite to sell it.....1 of my friends bought a car same as u, from the guys wifey.........she did not own it........took 3 years to restore it and approx $20,000.00...........He registered it last May....it only took 1 car show, and 1 month to have the police come seize it........He has spent another 6-7000.00 in court trying to prove he is the legal owner.........He told me a couple weeks ago that he has a bad feeling about the outcome.......I really wish him luck as quite a few parts came from me....kim.......

now that's funny, I dont care who you are.......................

yea, also, you better be sure of two things. 1) make sure it was in her name, and she signed the title. 2) that if it was in the ex-husbands' name, that HE is the one who signed it.
cause if she signed it, and you go and put 10,000 into the car, you will in the end be out of all that you put into it. he can take the car from you, as he was the owner, and she forged his signature. you may think just cause you get the title in your name at dmv, that it is all good, but if he sees the car, and will know it is his, he can go to your house with a police officer, and legally take the car from you. then you have to take it up with the douche who sold it to you

I own a Towing and Auto repair business, the only way I think I would sink money into it with that divorce going on is I would personally put a mechanics lien on it, any storage on it, costs me $150.00 for one and they go back to the previous owners/owner sending papers stating that there is a lien being put on the car and they have to pay *** dollar amount to get it back, I have done this numerous times to get titles that were lost.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned....You need to park it and not sink a dime into it until the dust settles and you find out who the actual owner is

To get it up on the trailer, use a floor jack under the K-frame and get it out in the middle of the parking lot. Then jack up the front end and place it securely on some blocking so it won't move. Then, back up to the back with your trailer and drop the ramps right under the rear wheels and slowly back up the trailer and let the rear wheels roll up the ramps. When the trailer is under as far as it can go and is going to hit your blocking, hoist the front by the K-frame with an engine hoist and push the car up the rest of the way, or back the trailer up slowly again until the K-frame is over the trailer. The use your floor jack to move it the rest of the way into place.

You can also get a couple buddies to help you "wheelbarrow" it up on the trailer. Three guys can easily lift the front end and push it up the trailer back wheels first, like a wheelbarrow. I've done this by myself with a completely stripped 68 Roadrunner, and I've also used the above method to back my trailer under cars before. I never let a thing like getting it on the trailer get in the way of getting a prize home!!! Good luck, and nice find!!! Geof

Im with Dorian, seems to me her ex took some time to get it to where it is, I have been down the divorce road and she was the one that cheated on me and I lost some stuff but not my 71 Challenger! You could try to get ahold of him or not I know it would bug the heck out of me knowing I basically stole somebodys car. But whatever you do it's yours to do with! Good luck!
Yea, I (we?) just presumed that the wife has clear title to the car but that would be the first thing to do before I even moved the car. If she doesn't have the right to sell it (or give it away) any damage you do, you would be liable for. Get the car in your name before any work is done to it.

And make sure she did not just have possecion of the title, and decided to forge it on his behalf.........................

Your going to hate me for saying this but...

If it was me I would contact the ex husband and find out his side of the story. After all it is his to begin with. How would you feel if your ex-wife sold your pride and joy out from under you?

Brothers got to stick together, its your choice and your car but how would you feel?

Don't feel bad, he painted the engine compartment BLACK, he's not right in the head.

I bought a 69 Coronet 500 convertible in NY (10 hr drive) After checking the car out the guy was saying he was waiting for his wife to get home to sign the title.

The car was at her dad's house. The dad told me that they were engaged. Asked the guy what was going on, he told me he got divorce and the car was in his wifes name still and he was just going to have his girlfriend sign it.

I said no if his ex didn't sign it no deal. So he calls the ex and he drives about an hour to get to her house and I watch her sign the papers with her new husband watching also.

I didn't have a good feeling about it, but after what he had to do then i felt it had to be legit. All worked out well but what a long weekend to go after a car to surprise my dad

-
Back