Just installed tti headers !

-

smilingdave

Reaction score
Hi, everyone !
Weather real nice here in st louis area last couple of days. Just finished the install. Got the polished ceramic coated set for the 73 dart sport.
They ain't cheap are they, 747.00 with shipping. They fit really well though. I think the hardest part was the slip tube, just didn't wanna slip back in. That and I had to raise the motor up to get both sides in.

Have a question though, I have the fork style motor mounts on my 360. I need to raise the motor about 3/4 inch to get a tube off the steering box.
The instructions from tti tell you a height measurement and and I do need about 3/4 to meet that.
Do I need to weld heavy washers to both sides of each fork? or is there a easier method that I'm not seeing?

I am interested in this thread, because I am putting a 408 in my 73 Dart Sport and was going to use the TTi 1 7/8 headers. Do you have manual or power steering? And did you use the 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?

they fit without any modification? we had a set of thorley headers they said would fit a 73' dart sport but the drivers side had to be cut and re worked to fit. we tried probably 5 diff types of the full type header sets before deciding to have these cut.(this was a few years ago though) do you have manual or power steering? and if there is any way you could post a pic i would love to see the fitment. thanks for the post sorry im unable to answer your question.

Hopefully someone will chime in because I don't know how to adjust the spool type mounts.

TTIs only fit if the engine is sitting in the right location. Problem with these old mopars is the k-members where all over the place as far as where they located the engine. Some people get lucky and some don't.

the tti instuctions give you the correct left and right measurements along with the proper height measurement. It's about a hundred times easier to install these headers than it is the cheap sets. Trust me i know, bought a cheap set first, they have grass stains now from being chucked across the yard! Lol.
My Dart has power steering and power brakes. You will be removing the brake booster for the install. Couldn't get motor up high enough with it on. I am using m/t valve covers on the motor though.
Do it on a lift if possible, I did it in my drive way, got car about 3 feet off the ground.
I'm also using the column shifter and all the linkage fits, it has to come off as well for the install.
I'm really into camaros, my first love,the difficulty level of installing the tti headers are comparable to installing cheap headers on a second gen camaro with a small block. X2
I would buy the tti headers again in a heartbeat.

the tti instuctions give you the correct left and right measurements along with the proper height measurement. It's about a hundred times easier to install these headers than it is the cheap sets. Trust me i know, bought a cheap set first, they have grass stains now from being chucked across the yard! Lol.
My Dart has power steering and power brakes. You will be removing the brake booster for the install. Couldn't get motor up high enough with it on. I am using m/t valve covers on the motor though.
Do it on a lift if possible, I did it in my drive way, got car about 3 feet off the ground.
I'm also using the column shifter and all the linkage fits, it has to come off as well for the install.
I'm really into camaros, my first love,the difficulty level of installing the tti headers are comparable to installing cheap headers on a second gen camaro with a small block. X2
I would buy the tti headers again in a heartbeat.

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I am installing the motor, transmission and TTi headers all at the same time. I was thinking of laying the headers in the engine bay and sliding the motor in and working the headers in at the same time. I am doing this all on a hoist, so it probably won't be an issue installing them from underneath. What do you think? 73 Dart Sport, 408 stroker, GM 200R4 tranny, TTi 1 7/8 headers.

I'm not sure what "fork style" is but on my 67 cuda with a 78 360 I had to go with thicker motor mount isolators to get the headers off of the manual steering gear box. Using tti headers of course.

Here is the ones that worked for me.... I got them from Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIO-A2469/

I don't mean to hijack the thread. I am installing the motor, transmission and TTi headers all at the same time. I was thinking of laying the headers in the engine bay and sliding the motor in and working the headers in at the same time. I am doing this all on a hoist, so it probably won't be an issue installing them from underneath. What do you think? 73 Dart Sport, 408 stroker, GM 200R4 tranny, TTi 1 7/8 headers.

I thought I was going to do that but I had to take them out after noticing that the headers was definitely going to be in the way. When they are laying on the sides of the engine bay they are actually just all in the way. I installed my headers afterwards from underneath. You might luck out however. I was totally by myself when I installed the engine so a helper might make all the difference in the world.

If your going to install all at once, drop the k frame bolt it to the motor and lower the car on top of it. By far the easiest and quickest way.

If your going to install all at once, drop the k frame bolt it to the motor and lower the car on top of it. By far the easiest and quickest way.

That's what I hear. I am doing it on a hoist anyway, so it would be no problem at all. We do that when we change the 4.0 motors in Aurora's and for all the Northstar engines. It looks strange seeing the motor, tranny, subframe and struts laying there, but it works awesome. I am definitely going to give it a shot.

I'm not sure what "fork style" is but on my 67 cuda with a 78 360 I had to go with thicker motor mount isolators to get the headers off of the manual steering gear box. Using tti headers of course.

Here is the ones that worked for me.... I got them from Summit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PIO-A2469/

The fork style mounts are the other style, you know, the type you don't have. I guess everyone doesn't realize mopar used a couple of styles in the cars. My bad. Gotta love dodge :)

the spool mounts are much tougher to adjust. I didn't need to with my spool mounts. But I have to ask, why is you motor off 3/4" from the TTI needed dimension?

Do you have worn motor mounts?

I took the advice of a friend that was one of the top TTI sellers in the country.... We put the motor in with no trans. Mine was tougher to get in because of the very close fitting milodon road race oil pan.

Here's pictures of my installation. Also we had the front of the car up on car ramps. That helped a lot with manuverablity, checking clearances, putting the trans in, putting the X-pipe in, etc etc.

these are 1 3/4" stepped headers. I helps to have 3 friends helping too.

The one pictures show the driver side mount lifted, but it's only for the install. The very next pictures shows the mount settled back in it's stock location.

Attachments

• 3_19_11Sm05.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 3_19_11Sm14.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 369
  • 3_19_11Sm42.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 3_19_11Sm43.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 3_19_11Sm47.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 372
  • 3_19_11Sm48.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 377
  • 3_19_11Sm49.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 3_19_11Sm62.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 3_19_11Sm95.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 377
You might be able to lay a piece of bar stock or thread all in slot on kframe before you slide motor mount in but 3/4" is gonna be tough may have to extend steel fork. After looking at pics I can see bar stock won't work because of spool won't clear. Looks like fork has to be extended.

-
Back