Just picked up a 69 Cuda...

-
Good luck finding a cheap 6.1 not going to happen unless you get real lucky. 5.7 can be stroked to run real well. It's all about how deep your pockets are and if you have the mechanical skill to do the work yourself. If you farm a swap like that out, first you'll have to find someone who knows what's goin on and second it's going to be pricey. Sounds like your a busy dude so take your time and enjoy the build if you are going to do it. Oh yea a well prepped 340 will haul some serious *** way cheaper than a 6.1

I'm not sure whether to go with the 5.7l, which I could pick up very soon for cheap. Or hold out and try to find a 6.1, or even bigger. I'm looking to come close to 500hp. Also don't want to do a lot of trans work since I'm not the greatest with em. I got the 727 and have heard of simple swaps, and swaps from hell.

So, any help would be great. Is the 6.1 an overall better motor to shoot for? Can a 5.7l make good power and be a strong motor? Also remember that I'm a 20 year old, working two jobs, and going to school full time. Dropping cash isn't easy for me and I need a decent price.

I came up with the number 500 because it's a great overall number. I own an 86 Grand National that makes that and the car is lethal. Also looking to put a 150-200 shot of juice on the hemi. Again, any and all information, advice, or just words of wisdom will help.
much appreciated, and I'm glad to finally be a Mopar owner!

Here's some good info on the 'stock' 5.7 & 6.1 parts:
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/hrdp_1105_what_breaks_on_2008_to_2011_dodges/viewall.html

Depending on the level of your build, I would recommend different things:

Cheapest possible - get an 03-08 5.7 hemi, hopefully running ($500-$1500). Get 5.7 jeep cherokee manifolds, put a bigger cam in, and go run the thing. You could probably get away with a shot of nitrous, but I would limit it and be very conservative with the tune so as to not break the pistons from detonation.

Most expensive - 6.1 stroker - 392, 426, or 440 ($3500-$8000).

In between - forged 5.7 or 6.1 using a factory 6.1 forged crank. ($2500-$3500)

Basic parts list:
5.7 bare block - $100-$300
6.1 bare block - $600-$1200 (they no longer make them, most are $$$$ now)
Forged pistons - $650-$900+
Forged rods - $500
Stroker crank - $800
Stock 6.1 forged crank - $100-300
03-08 5.7 hemi heads - $300-$800
09+ 5.7 hemi eagle heads - $700-1000+
6.1 heads - $1000+
6.4 heads - $900+

Also, any cam swap will require springs, so plan on $200+ for that.

If you need to stay cheap, I would recommend looking for a cheap running 5.7. If you know you're going to want more than 500 flywheel hp in the future, then look at building a forged 5.7 or 6.1 from the start (based on whatever cheap block you find - probably going to be a 5.7). I've seen stock 5.7's live running 11.50's at 120 mph in 4000-4400 lb cars. One was high compression (eagle heads on 03-08 5.7), the other was 6 psi boost.

Here's a cam only 5.7 swap article:
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/smallblockshootout/0602phr_hemi/viewall.html

It's rare to see a complete 6.1 for under $4000. So, it's hard to compete with the 5.7 if you're budget minded.

If the 340 runs, I would just enjoy the car with that until you have all the pieces necessary to do the hemi swap. Nothing kills motivation for a car like extended downtime...

If the 340 runs, I would just enjoy the car with that until you have all the pieces necessary to do the hemi swap. Nothing kills motivation for a car like extended downtime...

That's exactly what my father told me. I actually make pretty good money for a kid my age so in about a month or two I could get the motor, everything necessary to bolt it in and a couple upgrades.

That's exactly what my father told me. I actually make pretty good money for a kid my age so in about a month or two I could get the motor, everything necessary to bolt it in and a couple upgrades.

I've said that myself in previous projects, and six months later it's still on jack stands. Parts get out of stock, back ordered, lost in shipping, things break that you don't expect, plans change, things take longer than expected, etc.

Do what you like, but if you expect everything to be fast and easy in an engine swap you'll be disappointed.

I've been around fast cars and crazy project builds my whole life. I'm just excited to do my own. I hate waiting haha

Anyone know a place I can get info on all the parts I'll need for the swap? Such as oil pans, etc. I want to get all the parts first, I'm just having a hard time finding info, and I really don't want to wing it.

....I need to get rid of that 340. Not a fan of them at all.

Welcome, and nice black Bacc-a-ruda.

But as Austin Powers said...Ouch Baby, Very Ouch.

If you are throwing that 340 away, send it my way...I will even come pick it up. :D

340s were only one of the best engines from the 60s and 70s from Detroit.

Good luck with your car, can't wait to see it as it progresses.

Paul

This forum (a couple of the stickies) are going to be your best bet for what is needed.

-
Back