k-frame holes dont line up

-

danial

Reaction score
69 dart ran over bolder smashed k-frame got used k-frame from68 dart rear holes don't line up how can I draw the body in about 3\4" to line up back holes?

A tall farmers (Hi Lift) jack? Have used then to squeeze things together before.....

Several ways to do it. It all depends on how accurate you need it. I would consider drilling two 1/2" holes through each frame rail in the same spot, horizontally. Then I would get some 1/2" all-thread and some 2x3x1/4" plates with 1/2" holes. You may want to double up on the all-thread and the holes. Snug the nuts up to the frame and mount the k-member using the holes that fit. Bring the frame rails in the the all-thread until the holes line up. You may want to take it a little farther so that when they spring back they will line up. Go slow and watch out the the all-thread is not stretching. An alternative to the all-thread would be some grade-8 bolts welded or otherwise attached to a bar between the frame rails.

could you "come along" between the rails? Cinch it closer? Ouch!

Drilling holes in the vertical portion of the frame rails? Um, yuck.

Just take it to a frame shop. Liability and all that, plus a job done right with no alignment issues or funny business down the road.

IMO.

That's a tough one, that boulder must have been a monster. For a quick fix I would weld some pieces of 1/4" angle iron to the bottom of the frame rails about 3" long as close as possible to the rear mounting holes leaving just enough clearance to put the k frame in. Drill 5/8 " holes in the angle iron and then use the all thread mentioned above. Drill those hiles before you weld them on would be easier. Those rails will move a lot easier than you think. When it gets close to where the k frame bolts line up back off on the all thread, duplicate so when you back off the all thread the holes line up with no tension an the all thread. Cut out angle iron, bolt in K frame in and go!

Before you attempt to straighten the frame, are you sure that the new K-frame is straight?

I went through a similar situation on a 74 Dart Sport. I didn't know the car had been wrecked until I attempted to replace the cracked k-frame. Fortunately, the car the donor k-frame was from had never been wrecked so I knew the frame was bent when the holes would not line up.

How in heck did you spread the frame rails at the rear? Was it being parachuted into the desert?
IMO, a frame shop is needed. Both frame rails may not need the same amount of "tweaking" (if we call 3/4" a tweak). It may all be on one side.
Good luck,
C

Drilling holes in the vertical portion of the frame rails? Um, yuck.

Just take it to a frame shop. Liability and all that, plus a job done right with no alignment issues or funny business down the road.

IMO.

How in heck did you spread the frame rails at the rear? Was it being parachuted into the desert?
IMO, a frame shop is needed. Both frame rails may not need the same amount of "tweaking" (if we call 3/4" a tweak). It may all be on one side.
Good luck,
C

I have to agree here. If it is sprung more one side or just of onside you may end up with a car that fails to follow its own track (road walk) as it drives down the road. This will result in steering issues and excessive tire wear if it isn't put back right. I am a do everything myself type of person but this one I would want someone with the proper equipment to put it back 100%.

x3
Take it to a good frame shop. It probably won't cost a lot if it's a simple fix.
Did you buy the car in Hazzard County from a couple of guys named Bo and Luke?

Take it to a frame shop/ bodyshop. It ain't worth the aggravation to try to line it up & then find out you have other issues or cause more damage along the way. You may pull the wrong side in or both sides in when you need to pull 1 side. Let a frame expert do it & they have the tools & the info to pull it & measure it right. Don't mess around!

Don't believe there is $$ for a frame shop on this one.

It can be done. I would also line up the k and put in the 2 front bolts and tighten them holding the rear of the k to the frame with a jack. If 1 hole gets there before the other put in that bolt and tighten it too. Draw the other rail in until it lines up, put the last bolt in tighten it lower lower the jack and carry on.

Don't believe there is $$ for a frame shop on this one.

It can be done. I would also line up the k and put in the 2 front bolts and tighten them holding the rear of the k to the frame with a jack. If 1 hole gets there before the other put in that bolt and tighten it too. Draw the other rail in until it lines up, put the last bolt in tighten it lower lower the jack and carry on.

Since he already has the engine and tranny removed I wouldn't think it would cost that much. A buddy plowed the front end of his car in to a dirt embankment and it drove the right side frame rail up about 2 inches and pulled both sides in (2 inches on one side 1 inch on the other side) because it drove the front radiator support up about 3 inches. He removed all the damaged parts and made everything he could accessible for the frame shop and the charged him either $100 or $125 to pull everything. The car drives straight as a string and all the gaps look great.

Theres never enough time to do it right, but theres always enough time to do it over. - by Bergman, Jack.

Thank you everyone. I now have hope going to take another look at it Im going to measure the inside and go to hardware store. I hope I can some how just rent a come-along and pull it in a little.

Just a hillbilly from the beach

Attachments

• dart0.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 349
got it bought come-along pulled it in just enough to start the bolt now to take back come-along.thats enough for today go check out waves.

harbor freight 17.99

all that stress for that its all up hill now.HA HA HA

got it bought come-along pulled it in just enough to start the bolt now to take back come-along.thats enough for today go check out waves.

harbor freight 17.99

all that stress for that its all up hill now.HA HA HA

And there you go, checked out the Idea's how to fix it at home and came up with your own twist and got it done! Good for you!:D

I was talking about this at work today. I do this stuff for a living.

What we would suggest is putting the old K-member back in, blocking both rails and doing a downward pull on the damaged k-member.

When you hit the rock the k-member pushed the rails out and more than likely rolled them a bit.

I would not repair this at home.

2.5 Hours to set up on the rack
3 Hours to straighten each rail

About $500-600 to get it fixed correctly.

Wow! Within 4 hours, you measured it, bought the come-along, pulled it, responded here, and are on the way to return it. That is surely a record for solving a tweaked frame issue.

Assuming you have the correct K-frame and the front mounting holes line up, having to move the rear mounting positions on the frame rails by 3/4" seems like a major bend to me. How did you hook that come-along to the frame rails and how much in the end did you move the rails to enable the K-frame to bolt up? Thanks.

-
Back