K Member install help

-

360Duster75

Reaction score
I need a little help installing a k frame in my Duster. I know how to install it for the most part but how can you make it easier. Would I need to remove the suspension or what? I wrestled with it all day leaving suspension on and couldn't get it.

It all depends on what's in the car, but here's how I would do it with the equipment that I have. Steering gear and center link installed, but nothing else. Also with the steering column removed. After the k-member is installed you can put the control arms and spindles on. If the car is on a two-post lift and will be dropped onto the k-member with engine it doesn't matter, but it's probably still easier with the control arms not on the k-member.

It would be very helpful..............if we knew............what you had..........for shop equipment

Floor jack, cherry picker, overhead hoist, etc.

.......pictures of what exactly you are doing would help. there just isnt a whole lot to it....

Its just the K member where the engine goes i can get the bars in enough to no fall out with out one side falling out and the other not lining up right with the holes. And as for tools i have a floor jack, pry bar, hammer, and my arms lol. Im pretty sur i can get it tomorrow i just got wore out today from other heavy lifting.

"The bars?" You trying to install it with the strut rods in place? Torsion bars in place?

Which bars are you referring to, the strut rods up front, or the torsion bars behind the K-frame? Either way, I would strip the K-frame down to bare minimum "stuff" attached to install it first, then add the other components.

That's funny, we must have been typing at the same instant.

It is the bare minimum just the frame with motor mounts and it is the torsion bars. Strut rods I can get them in easy just the torsion bars are either poping out before I can get the 2nd one in or it wont line up right.

take the clips out of the rear torsion bar crossmember (the back side of the crossmember where the torsion bars connects in the rear) and slide the bars towards the back and out of the way. you can then install the k-frame easily and re-install the t-bars later. don't lose the clips and don't forget to re-install them later. good luck!

Wow thanks alot I had no idea it was that simple lol but that's what I get for owning imports for ever. Glad I got out of them to lol

Would I need to remove the suspension or what?

If you're not in a position to lower the car onto the K-frame, similar to what they did at the factory, Lusk's advice is best. It will be easier if nothing is installed on the K-frame. Steering column needs to be removed so that it does not interfere with the steering box on the K-frame.

When re-installing K-frame, suggest installing the bolts diagonally, LF to RR. Use this pattern to align the K-frame over the other holes in the tub. Install the LCA first, backout the adjuster screws until flush with top of nut in LCA. Then install torsion bars, trying to engage LCA as far down as it will go. Put some tension in the TBs using the adjuster screws. Then install the strut rods. Putting the strut rods in before the TBs are installed is certain to leave insufficient adjustment in the TBs to restore a level ride height and decent suspension travel.

-
Back