K-Member / Rack & Pinion Steering Suggestions

-
I am not the least bit interested in torsion bar vs. coil over systems. I started following questions here to determine if there was a viable solution to getting rid of the torsion bars and steering box which are in the way when swapping in a Gen II Hemi for instance.

If anyone knows a good solution to keeping those items in place and making them function with the Hemi on board then please speak now; otherwise say no more.

I would like to see comments from actual owners (not poseurs) of RMS, HDK and Gerst equipped vehicles regarding the in-use likes and dislikes of these individual products. Others are not relevant.
What gives you the right to dictate what anyone else writes on an open forum?
Your arrogance to expect others to abide by your orders is appalling.

I would like to see comments from actual owners (not poseurs) of RMS

my 71 dart had a alter-k in it. drove it for quite a few years until i parted the car out. my car was only a small block. dislikes? none. nothing not to like. likes, everything. easy straight forward install, tons of room to install the headers, easily get to the starter, at the time there wasn't the selection of larger brakes for mopars so that was a plus, the way that car drove was awesome.. i used the power rack.. i don't care what steering box you put in a car, there is just no way its gonna feel like a rack. too many parts to develops even the slightest bit of slop with a box and its related equipment,, that dart felt like a modern car going down the road. i always see people (non owners ) that claim less turning radius. it may have less who knows. i never measured it, but i can tell you that i never noticed it or had any issues with the turning radius. teh alter- is by far the most proven unit out there on the market today.

dart carlisle fixed.jpg

I've never had the funds to just buy a full kit, so the option of slowly upgrading has been my preferred method. And since I don't see any really advantages to a coil over conversion, it is a win-win in my book. Not sure how it could be more expensive looking at the list Blu posted, but even if it is at least I can spread the costs over time and end up in pretty much the same place.

Something for the OP to remember is that that (as far as I know) looks like HDK is the only one of the aftermarket kits that include options for slant 6 motor mounts. At least I don't think so, I only looked back to see if Denny said so so maybe the Alter-K setup does as well? If not, you will need to be ready to "roll your own". Something to think about.

Last comment on the aftermarket kits - I'm still not comfortable with the lower control arm mount. If I were to make the switch, I would look at a HDK since (IMO) he takes into account the how the coil over loads the chassis but it still has a single mount resisting any rearward loads the lower control arm receives from pot holes or anything else the tire contacts. The OEM MII suspension had a strut to resist those loads with a narrow LCA. The aftermarket kits I have seen replace that setup with a wider LCA and a bigger mount (pretty sure they used to be pretty flimsy), but it still feels like it is at a disadvantage. Might be that they have run the numbers and it isn't any less stiff than the OEM setup was, but it makes me wonder.

The answer about the lower control arm mount is in the experience of the people who actually bought the kit and are using it.
I have searched and searched for any negativity about build quality and component failures of the RMS System . I couldn't find any. Same for HDK Systems.
For what its worth, I have over 5000 miles of street driving on mine and its perfect. No issues whatsoever.

my 71 dart had a alter-k in it. drove it for quite a few years until i parted the car out. my car was only a small block. dislikes? none. nothing not to like. likes, everything. easy straight forward install, tons of room to install the headers, easily get to the starter, at the time there wasn't the selection of larger brakes for mopars so that was a plus, the way that car drove was awesome.. i used the power rack.. i don't care what steering box you put in a car, there is just no way its gonna feel like a rack. too many parts to develops even the slightest bit of slop with a box and its related equipment,, that dart felt like a modern car going down the road. i always see people (non owners ) that claim less turning radius. it may have less who knows. i never measured it, but i can tell you that i never noticed it or had any issues with the turning radius. teh alter- is by far the most proven unit out there on the market today.

View attachment 1715939288

Damm A-bodyJoe!! That is a nice looking car! You parted it out???

on a side note. boy a few sure didn't like your comment about mopar jamie..lol

Mopar Jamie

Ha ha....When you post a picture of someone, you always have to expect some will notice stuff like an eye patch, a crooked nose, big ears or missing teeth. I expect comments when I've posted pictures of myself. Maybe a few critics over there look just as bad as Jamie?

Ha ha....When you post a picture of someone, you always have to expect some will notice stuff like an eye patch, a crooked nose, big ears or missing teeth. I expect comments when I've posted pictures of myself. Maybe a few critics over there look just as bad as Jamie?

lol.. he is rough looking

The answer about the lower control arm mount is in the experience of the people who actually bought the kit and are using it.
I have searched and searched for any negativity about build quality and component failures of the RMS System . I couldn't find any. Same for HDK Systems.
For what its worth, I have over 5000 miles of street driving on mine and its perfect. No issues whatsoever.

Not saying I expect a failure, only a concern for instability. And it's just a curiosity, it's not like I've done design calcs on it or anything. I'd hope someone has though.

Just seems like an area where by nature it starts from a weak point and you spend time/effort/money/materials to shore it up. Just a point of concern for me.

Glad it has been good for you. Nothing worse than doing something big and then being disappointed.

DAMN! haven't priced everything out in a long time.. i didn't realize they were that close in price these days.. for a difference in price of under $500 i'm going alter-k if doing it again.

That list was to cater to the "everything brand new and bolt in" crowd. A lot of the parts on that list can be left off if you keep some of the factory parts. The QA1 K member is nice, but a gusseted stock K works just as well. The tubular LCA's are nice, but again, gusseted originals work just fine. The SPC UCA's are probably overkill for most folks, and certainly the RMS doesn't have double adjustable UCA's.

If you have some basic fabrication skills and a MIG welder you can drop over $1k off that price tag right off the bat and have all the work done in a weekend.

You have either not read my posts on this or you have very poor reading comprehension. In this very thread I have laid out when I think a coilover system is warranted and when a torsion bar is.

The reason I am building my Valiant with the torsion bars is simply about traditions. I am building a Green/Red Brick kinda deal. Simply following a plan for a certain car. Not necessarily building a restomod.

I’ll state it again. You can have more into a torsion bar system if you are building full tilt (ie. Viper brakes, Borgeson box, Delrin, welding, sand blasting, gusset kit, V2 SPC arms …). Sure, an industrious guy can look for used stuff, wait for sales, get discounts but when it comes to retail and buying all the best of the best parts then you spend a bit more on torsion bar systems.

I read just fine, I just don't care what your criteria are for when a coil-over system is or is not warranted. I was looking for additional info regarding why you chose to not build another AlterK equipped car, but I guess the answer is you don't want to do the chassis reinforcement for a "traditional" build? Which means the Viper brakes and SPC UCA's are probably overkill, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

I personally wouldn't put together any Mopar without the chassis stiffening you described (and more), regardless of the style of suspension used. Sure, I think coil-over conversions especially need some kind of inner fender/shock tower reinforcement, some kind of triangulation to support the change in where the suspension loads are being carried. But I do that reinforcement anyway, even with torsion bar suspension, because it is a weak spot in the chassis.

But the bottom line I think is that you still don't understand that the torsion bar system is the BETTER performance suspension on these cars. Better geometry, better handling. My build has nothing to do with being traditional, it uses those parts because they're better than an MII system that's been modified and bolted onto a Mopar chassis. MII's are everywhere because they're relatively simple and easy to adapt to other chassis, not because they have unparalleled performance. They gained a following with the street rod and hot rod crowd adding IFS to cars that used to have beam axles. But these Mopars already have IFS, and a good one at that. And if you are building a resto-mod, or full pro-touring car the torsion bar set up should be considered if you're actually serious about having the best handling.

As for what you paid, I don't really care. Sure, I have no doubt that if you have to pay to have all the work done for you that you can spend just as much money rebuilding the torsion bar suspension to modern standards. I've never paid anyone to work on my Mopars outside of engine machining, so I guess I just don't even consider that. Seam welding and gusseting a K is pretty straightforward, the metal is thick so it's easy to MIG and you can make all the gussets with some 3/16" plate and an angle grinder. Easy peasy. A little grease remover and a pressure wash and you're on your way. I've posted several "lists" with varying different levels of components, not a single one was more expensive than an AlterK. Not even the one that included 100% new parts. I'm not arguing that you didn't spend more, I'm just saying you don't have to in order to have a suspension that will compete with a coil over conversion.

i used the power rack.. i don't care what steering box you put in a car, there is just no way its gonna feel like a rack. too many parts to develops even the slightest bit of slop with a box and its related equipment,, that dart felt like a modern car going down the road.

I just don't see the need for a rack at all. I drive cars and trucks with them, and I drive cars and trucks with worm/ball boxes. I mean, I guess they're nice and all but I wouldn't bother swapping any of my worm/ball steering box vehicles over to rack and pinions unless it got me better suspension geometry or something else along the way. Racks just aren't a performance improvement.

I was looking for additional info regarding why you chose to not build another AlterK equipped car, but I guess the answer is you don't want to do the chassis reinforcement for a "traditional" build?

Glad you're showing interest in what I am doing with the Valiant. I'll get you up to speed on it. Front to back; reinforced radiator core, j-bars from front of inner fenders to firewall, gusset from j-bar to shock mounting point, US Cartool under fender brace, subframe connector, 4 torque boxes, 1.24" torsion bars (I consider the torsion bars as structural as well as suspension), 6 point roll bar, and a fuel cell cage that ties the rear frames together.
As stated before, I am following the same vein as the Green and Red Bricks. I just wanted to build a torsion bar car.

The Valiant isn't completed yet but I have no doubt that it will be a beast and with so much research and reading posts from you and others I believe that I will have maximized the torsion bar system with the weight, drivetrain, and wheel and tire combo. I do honestly believe that it could not be improved upon by using any other suspension on the market, QA1, Alter-k-tion, HDK....

What I'm not going to do is say that, at least, the Alter-k-tion is inferior. I can't speak to the others but the Riley Motorsports piece has done everything I've wanted it to do. It handles like it's on freaking rails, it provides vast real estate for 1-7/8" header primaries and 3-1/2" collectors. It's tremendously easier to adjust ride height. The ability to adjust spring rate is much easier too. It's lighter. The welds are strong and beautiful unlike the criminal OEM k-frame.
It has it's value and I could care less that it is "based" on a MII. Nothing on the Alter-k-tion has any MII parts on it. The spindles aren't MII, they have Mopar ball joints, different steering points, harder steel. Someone questioned the lower control arm? They're better than MII and stronger than, at least, non-stiffened OEM LCA's.

Does anyone need a coilover suspension? No. But who needs 17" wheels? Who needs a sway bar? Who needs Fox shocks? I mean, the alternatives are cheaper? ****, who needs a hotrod? What is a hotrodder is a better question. Isn't a hotrodder someone who wants to try new things and do stuff different? Everyone has their own idea on what they want to do. Why try so hard to stop someone from doing different stuff? Love the passion from you but it is a little, EXTRA.

I've never paid anyone to work on my Mopars outside of engine machining, so I guess I just don't even consider that.

You need to. You need to if you are going to the extent of proselytizing the virtues of torsion bars when it comes to the cost aspect. Not everyone is a Billie Badass like you. Some people don't have the time, space, tools, or knowledge. Some people have one or a few and the one they don't keeps them from attaining all. Sometimes people just have the money. Who are we to say they can't play? My welding skills are minimal and I will not trust my life to my welds with my 120v equipment. I don't have the location for bodywork. I have knowledge and tools but I don't always have the time so my work goes really slow and sometimes it is worth it, to me, to pay someone to do some work.
You're so awesome, but please, don't hold everyone else to your standard. This is what you should be saying,

I've never paid anyone to work on my Mopars outside of engine machining, so I guess I SHOULD consider that.

Someone questioned the lower control arm? They're better than MII and stronger than, at least, non-stiffened OEM LCA's.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the LCA at all. My curiosity is the mount for the LCA.

Think of it this way:

If you sink a post in the ground a couple of inches and then brace it to one side, that post is pretty stiff in the direction of the brace. If you remove the brace, you have to change the end of the post somehow if you want the same stiffness. In a pole building, they sink the post much further (when I did mine it was 36"). This creates the rigidity that is needed.

On a MII suspension, the LCA is braced by a strut rod. This is removed in most of the aftermarket suspensions and the LCA mount is widened to resist those same forces similar to how a post is sunk further into the ground on a pole building.

I assume it is enough, but it is a curiosity for me. That LCA is a great lever to exert a good amount of force on the mount.

Also, I find it funny that the Op asks for input, but when Blu gives his experience you jump on him. I haven't seen him chase anyone down and talk them out of a coil over conversion, but when people ask for input he is good enough to give his. Not sure what the problem is here unless it is just that you don't like his opinion.

And I don't see any venom in his response that he hasn't paid to have work done. Sounds like he is just acknowledging that he doesn't have any insight there. Nor do I see him looking down on anyone that does pay. Best I can tell, he doesn't care who does the work.

Glad you're showing interest in what I am doing with the Valiant. I'll get you up to speed on it. Front to back; reinforced radiator core, j-bars from front of inner fenders to firewall, gusset from j-bar to shock mounting point, US Cartool under fender brace, subframe connector, 4 torque boxes, 1.24" torsion bars (I consider the torsion bars as structural as well as suspension), 6 point roll bar, and a fuel cell cage that ties the rear frames together.
As stated before, I am following the same vein as the Green and Red Bricks. I just wanted to build a torsion bar car.

Sounds like a cool build!

I haven't seen him chase anyone down and talk them out of a coil over conversion, but when people ask for input he is good enough to give his.

This is the original post of this thread.
We are going to replace the front-end with a contemporary system.

The OP did not ask for input on the OEM system. This same thing plays out anytime someone asks for input on coilover suspension. Blu comes hard in the paint with the torsion bar sales pitch. This is the definition of "chasing someone down to talk them out of a coilover system".
Ever talk to someone, about anything, and even if you agree with what they are saying they just won't shut up about it and move on to the next topic?
For the record, I am fine with his opinion but until I drive a car that has torsion bars and then install an Alter-k-tion and test them back to back I'm not going to tell someone they're doing it wrong.

Hi All ... Looking at the next element of my '68 Bcuda Convertible build plans. We are goign to replace the front-end with a contemporary system. Not married to anything specific and have only looked a little a QA1. Will likely be donning the car with slightly larger wheels and lowering the car's stance 1-2". Would appreciate people's input (i.e. suggestions/avoids/benefits/cons) concerning what you know and have experienced ... thx as always !

This is the original post of this thread.

I guess I read that as not married to a coil over conversion either. And because of that I don't see points on the TB suspension as being out of place. But I might be reading it wrong, maybe the OP really is only looking at coil over kits.

One point that I think needs to me made is that for many that come from other brands, they see coil overs as a much needed upgrade. For most GM cars, it really is, their suspension geometry really kind of sucks. So when someone from the GM camp picks up a Mopar they think it must be the same. The reality is that there are pluses and minuses to everything and a coil over conversion might not be necessary if someone understands that really the only issue with a OEM TB suspension is being undersprung and not having enough caster. So educating people isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
..... a coil over conversion might not be necessary if someone understands that really the only issue with a OEM TB suspension is being undersprung and not having enough caster. So educating people isn't a bad thing.

This is very true. I would just say that Blu "fervently" tries to educate people. He won't let it go.

I guess I read that as not married to a coil over conversion either. And because of that I don't see points on the TB suspension as being out of place. But I might be reading it wrong, maybe the OP really is only looking at COC kits.

We are going to replace the front-end with a contemporary system.

con·tem·po·rar·y
/kənˈtempəˌrerē/
adjective
  1. belonging to or occurring in the present.
Maybe I'm wrong but I read it as the OP is looking for front suspension from a current, present day, manufacturer. Aftermarket.

No disrespect but I do think you are reading the OP wrong and to the extent that 72bluNblu should be commenting is in an "education" type of way and not spend too much time on persuasion. To me, the OP is clearly looking for a contemporary (aftermarket) suspension system.

Know what’s funny? The Contemporary Formula 1 cars running the last 15 + years are, you guessed it using Torsion Bars. Granted the bars are only about 6 inches long, but nonetheless, they are torsion bars.

The other part that really pushed the coil over suspension is the changes in the 80’s of cars going to front wheel drive / transverse engine and the changing of how unibody cars are assembled to reduce costs. Cars now a days are meant to be driven, crashed and recycled in a short life span. So they cross platform parts, and doing so makes it a whole lot cheaper to roll a car off the assembly line..

To me, with the direction of the OP’s built, seems he’d be happier with an E36 with the cuda body swapped on it. It’s a slant 6, coil over front, IRS rear, add a eBay blower, and done. That’s Contemporary. Cheby Guys building a Mopar….:poke::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy:

con·tem·po·rar·y
/kənˈtempəˌrerē/
adjective
  1. belonging to or occurring in the present.
Maybe I'm wrong but I read it as the OP is looking for front suspension from a current, present day, manufacturer. Aftermarket.

No disrespect but I do think you are reading the OP wrong and to the extent that 72bluNblu should be commenting is in an "education" type of way and not spend too much time on persuasion. To me, the OP is clearly looking for a contemporary (aftermarket) suspension system.

Valid, could be my bias led me to see an updated TB suspension as still a valid response. Only the OP can truly answer what it means to him though.

Valid, could be my bias led me to see an updated TB suspension as still a valid response. Only the OP can truly answer what it means to him though.

There’s a couple threads where Blu and I go back and forth and it’s just getting old. I state that each system has its place and advocate for torsion bars on most builds. I have used and have no problem with the coilover suspension and there are pluses to using them.

However, Blu is like a pit bull when it comes to the torsion bar system. He’s a very helpful member and I truly value him being here. I have learned a lot reading his posts and used some of his knowledge. I just wish he would respect when people disagree and appreciate that this is hotrodding and sometimes people are going to want to build their car from the vision they have.

There are a lot of UNeducated enthusiasts that would benefit from advocates for both sides. People that get swayed by the glitz and hype of an aftermarket setup are often well intentioned but uninformed. The new stuff is shiny and refined in appearance, I'll readily admit that. The old stuff seems like it should be inferior simply because most mechanical things do get better with ongoing development.
If I were about to buy something and expecting an improvement, I would appreciate hearing from critics and supporters before jumping in and feeling like I made a mistake.
72Blu responded to a thread of mine about changing to the Dr Diff 13" front brakes. I currently have the 11.75 Cordoba discs with iron calipers. Some thought that the bigger brakes were not big enough of an increase to warrant the cost. 72 offered to chat through PM to give advice. THAT is a member that cares enough to share his own experiences to save a person from possible regret and wasted money.
If you don't like the member, place them on ignore.

Exactly. You can do it a lot cheaper and still have a more adjustable suspension than what you get with the RMS or other coil over conversions.

My point is that the coil over conversions are just modified MII suspension, there's nothing inherently better with them, it's not really any different than replacing the OE torsion bar suspension parts with the stuff I posted above. If you had a 1974 Mustang II and bought all tubular control arms, replaced the struts with coil overs and ran an aftermarket rack it would be the same thing on a different crossmember.

You start with this ('77 MII)
View attachment 1715937463

Add these...
View attachment 1715937457

View attachment 1715937456

View attachment 1715937458

Suddenly you have something that looks more like this...
View attachment 1715937462

Design a custom crossmember, re-design the UCA's so they bolt onto an A-body and now you've got this
View attachment 1715937459

Is that oversimplifying? Yes! Making an MII suspension bolt right onto an A-body requires a lot of thought and engineering, I'm not trying to take that away from RMS or HDK or anyone else making these conversions. But it is also not magic, and the final result is still based on that rusty, OE MII suspension in the first picture that looks a lot like the stuff everyone wants to replace on their A-body.

As for handling like an Audi, well yeah actually, you can do that with torsion bars. The Hotchkis Taxi, which is a 4-door Satellite, bested the 3 series BMW's that TireRack uses to test tires. Same driver, same tires, same track- the 4 door Satellite put down faster times with torsion bars. Two very different driving experiences no doubt, but, if you're looking at performance and lap times it can be done.

The Hotchkis Challenger put down a better skid pad G than a modern SRT-8, and was really close in the slalom and other categories
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 vs. 1970 Dodge Challenger | Edmunds

I've often wondered why these companies that build the aftermarket coil over/rack systems haven't changed the spindle/control arm design to that of the C5 or C6 Corvette. I'm pretty sure that's the design many of the big GM aftermarket suspension is designed after.

I've often wondered why these companies that build the aftermarket coil over/rack systems haven't changed the spindle/control arm design to that of the C5 or C6 Corvette. I'm pretty sure that's the design many of the big GM aftermarket suspension is designed after.

I believe XV was doing that. Speed tech has a deal for B/E that does that but it’s quite expensive.

That would add some real function, in my mind. C5 spindles would mean an easy wheel speed sensor and options for ABS and/or traction control. I know you did one using the lugs, but this would be with a much easier and more precise.

That would add some real function, in my mind. C5 spindles would mean an easy wheel speed sensor and options for ABS and/or traction control. I know you did one using the lugs, but this would be with a much easier and more precise.

Right! Not to mention the OE big brake options. I'm betting it's the bolt pattern that keeps them away from it.

-
Back