K member swap

-

jongdoe

Reaction score
i planned on swapping my k member out of my 72 scamp(v8 ) into my 73 scamp(slant6). i've read that there's a difference in the two members. am i going to have to find a 73 v8 k member? is it possible to swap these?

i figured out of the 31 views on this question somebody would know the answer,guess not

...............Go ahead and swap them, its a direct fit......u need ur corresponding motor mounts also.....if ur not changing the strut rods u need the multi piece bushings........kim.......

Geez dude, keep your shorts on!

Short answer- Yes, you can use your '72 K frame on your '73.

Long answer- You can swap the K frames, but if you have a sway bar on the '73 you won't be able to use that with the 72 k frame. Sway bars have to stay matched to the year range, ie, 67-72 or 73-76. That also means that the LCA's should stay matched with their K frame if there's a sway bar, because the sway bar mounts are in different places for 67-72 than 73-76.

No sway bars? No problems. Just remember that if you ever add one it will have to be the 67-72 style.

I wouldn't. I would buy adapter mounts for the later model slant K and put my V8 on it.

I wouldn't. I would buy adapter mounts for the later model slant K and put my V8 on it.

Yes for many reasons.

The 73 and newer K has spool mounts. Better.

all of the aftermarket stuff for the front end is based off the 73 and newer as well so if you want to upgrade say lower CA's the ones they will sell you work with the 73 and newer sway bar etc.

If you already have the other car and K frame it will be cheaper to do the K frame swap although Schumacher conversion mounts (http://engine-swaps.com) are easier. On the 73 and up spool mount K frames some minor mods are required for the conversion mounts. Basically you "deepen" the groove. The process is detailed on the Schumacher page (see link above) which you can check out before you buy the mounts.

The steering box, Pitman arm, idler arm, drag link, tie rods and strut rods are all different between 72 and 73. You can use either setup on the swap as long as you use ALL of the 72 or ALL of the 73 steering parts together. You can't "mix and match".

Good Luck

Both cars are complete running cars. The 73 has a much better body. The 72 is small bolt drum which I'll be swapping to the 73 untill I get a small bolt disk setup. I want to keep it small bolt because I've got a few nice sets of wheels for it.and my 8.75 rear is also small which is coming out of the 72. I use to drive the 72 as a daily driver a few years back

-
Back