Keisler 5-speed conversion on Early A-body: Install has begun

-
so you didnt have to cut the input shaft on the trans? did you hammer the bearing in there?

it looks great, thanks

I just tapped it in using a piece of pipe that I had and a rubber mallet. Just make sure the pilot register is clean and free of paint as well. A tiny bit of lube doesn't hurt either.

The keisler tko-500 input shaft fits the mopar bellhousings. Keisler does supply a spacer if needed. Mine did not require it and I used the Lakewood scattershield with no major issues. Quicktime makes a bell as well.

How many people have a viper T56 6 spd in a early a body? Because I believe that I have the first

So Dave did you every get this finished up. Thanks for making the thread and showing pictures.

OK,

Sorry for the delay, but here it is. I have to preface the attached list by saying that Fred Sanderson at Dark Horse can probably get you the assembled parts listed at a much better price than can be achieved separately, and he was extremely helpful in working through the details when parts needed to be swapped out to accommodate some of the early a-body idiosyncrasies. For instance I needed to use the 7/8" Wilwood master cylinder, though the Mcleod throwout kit comes with a 3/4". Additionally, he was prompt at replying to questions and putting me directly in touch with vendors as needed. It should also be noted that the tranny will not simply bolt in without modifications either to the tunnel hoop or the shifter plates on the transmission itself (see earlier images).

Component Manufacturer Part Number
Tremec TKO-600 (GM-RR64) Tremec TTC-TCET5009
31 Spline slip yoke (1330 series u-joint) SY1330-6000
Bellhousing (small block Mopar to GM) Lakewood LAK-77-325
Hydraulic Throwout bearing w/ M/C Mcleod MCL-13645
(note this kit comes with a 3/4" master)
SFA rated steel flywheel (130 tooth) Mcleod MCL-46410216A
Mopar to GM pilot bushing Dorman DHP-5030
(note: needed to make adapter to mate bushing to back of crank)
Pressure plate (3000#) Mcleod MCL-360709
Kevlar paddle clutch disc Mcleod MCL-260871R
(11" dual surface disc 1 1/8" x 26 spline reverse hub for Ford/Mopar)
Pressure plate (2400#) Mcleod MCL-360710
Performance clutch disc (11") Mcleod MCL-260171R
Hydraulic master cylinder (7/8") Wilwood 260-3376

Unfortunately it won't let me attach the actual file, so I cut and pasted the numbers and cleaned them up as best possible. If you have any specific questions please let me know.

Cheers!

I know this is a massive bump, but I did some math. Excluding the clutch disc, which I could probably get here somewhere, the total cost for me comes to 3516, excluding shipping which will probably bump it up to about 4K. I did get a couple of different, (read cheaper) parts than what's on here. I didn't actually buy any of it yet, am just trying to get a cost analysis on what it'll take to convert the car over to a 5 speed. The price is depressing to a poor college student. lol.
Included in my list are where you can get them. Sometimes its actually cheaper to go through summit rather than Mcleod for some of these.

Tremec TKO-500 (GM-RR68 ) Tremec CMG-TCET4616 -- Went with a 500 because it has the higher 1st gear, I have 2.76 gears, and I won't need that extra 100 lb of capability
summit racing $2195.00
31 Spline slip yoke (1330 series u-joint) SY1330-6000
summit/local driveshaft place $85 /?
Bellhousing (small block Mopar to GM) Lakewood LAK-77-325 --- Currently out of stock
lakewood industries $345.48
Hydraulic Throwout bearing Mcleod MCL-1309 -- You don't actually have to get the kit, just by the mc separately
summit racing $357
non SFI rated steel flywheel (130 tooth) Mopar Performance P4529110
summit racing $269
Mopar to GM pilot bushing
(note: needed to make adapter to mate bushing to back of crank)
5speedtransmissions $30
Pressure plate (3000#) Mcleod MCL-360709
summit $185
Kevlar paddle clutch disc Mcleod MCL-260871R
(11" dual surface disc 1 1/8" x 26 spline reverse hub for Ford/Mopar)
?
Pressure plate (2400#) Mcleod MCL-360710
Performance clutch disc (11") Mcleod MCL-260171R
Didn't look at these
Hydraulic master cylinder (7/8") Wilwood 260-6765 --- looks like a regular M/C as opposed to the plastic one that SilverFish has on his car.
summit racing $50

I'd actually like to see pics of the tranny in the car now. I'm curious to see exactly how much cutting of the torsion bar/frame/ floor pan is needed.

9B06D580-EE6E-4213-8E48-CCC4A301BB31.jpeg

Crazy resurrection on my thread. A shame I haven’t completely finished thus build. One day.

-
Back