Kelsey-Hayes replacement

-
Looking to see if anyone has used the Wilwood Disk Brake kit. 140-2713, This is the only kit that I have found that comes close to the stock Kelsey-Hayes 1965 disk brakes. The stock rotor is 11.04 inches, this kit is 10.75 rotor, hoping it will not hit the a 14inch wheel Barracuda wheel. https://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds163.pdf
Looks to me like the hub diameter is too large for a stock factory 5x4 bc wheel's center bore.
1668309141307.png

Last edited:
This is the set up on one of my 70 Darts. Been on there since 2005 with a set of stock 14" rallye wheels. I would bet that they would fit with the factory 14x5.5 wheels used before 1970 too. The calipers are actually stock K/H 4 piston calipers for a Mustang II and lots of other Fords. Talking about the SSBC kit in post #2

Last edited:
It's not uncommon to need new wheels/tires when changing to Wilwoods .
Lotta upset folks when they go to put the wheels back on .
Good luck .

This is the set up on one of my 70 Darts. Been on there since 2005 with a set of stock 14" rallye wheels. I would bet that they would fit with the factory 14x5.5 wheels used before 1970 too. The calipers are actually stock K/H 4 piston calipers for a Mustang II and lots of other Fords. Talking about the SSBC kit in post #2

It's not the Mustang II that used the K-H calipers. It was the '65-67 Mustang.

This is the closest kit as the calipers are nearly identical.

A153 Front Disc Brake Conversion Kit, Mopar Non Power
Jim are you running this with a 14" 5.5" inch wheel? A buddy of mine has this and has to use 1/8 spacers. A K-H rotor stock is 11" which this is in the kit, my concern is the adapter from the caliper pad holder to the spindle. My other question is do you think these rotors would work on an existing stock K-H system? I have all the factory parts, rotors are shot though.

That may be true, I think the 14" rally wheels were the same. I think the K-H disk brake package was the same on many cars in the mid 60's, maybe slight variations.

Looking to see if anyone has used the Wilwood Disk Brake kit. 140-2713, This is the only kit that I have found that comes close to the stock Kelsey-Hayes 1965 disk brakes. The stock rotor is 11.04 inches, this kit is 10.75 rotor, hoping it will not hit the a 14inch wheel Barracuda wheel. https://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds163.pdf
I wouldn’t use a drag race rotor style disc for Daily driver applications.

Jim are you running this with a 14" 5.5" inch wheel? A buddy of mine has this and has to use 1/8 spacers. A K-H rotor stock is 11" which this is in the kit, my concern is the adapter from the caliper pad holder to the spindle. My other question is do you think these rotors would work on an existing stock K-H system? I have all the factory parts, rotors are shot though.
I'm not running this kit and have no information about what fits or doesn't. It's just the closest to the factory K-H system. I have a complete set with NOS rotors to put on my GTS convertible when I get back to it. I have '73 discs on the front of my '67 Barracuda convertible. Rotors have been available at times for the K-H setup, but I haven't gone looking in some time.

If you have the K-H setup, what is wrong with your rotors?

I used the A-153 kit on my 66 Barracuda. It adapts to the 10" spindles only. I switched to 15" rims but it will work with some 14's. It uses The 60's Mustang parts. Just my. 02

Tim

The A-153 rotors are Mustang style rotors modified to work with SSBC's caliper adapters, which are made to work with 10" drum knuckles and their K-H like calipers.
I called them and asked if they would make a replacement rotor for Mopar A-Body K-H brake systems. They couldn't have seemed less interested.
The previous incarnation of SSBC burned a lot of people. Vendors, customers and employees all got hurt. Not that this company would do the same, but it illustrates a risk of using proprietary parts from a small company.

.... but it illustrates a risk of using proprietary parts from a small company.
this is an important thing to note. if you drive your car long distances and you break down in BFE by way of Charleston where are you gonna get those parts? can you roll into the local Vato-Zone and get something off the shelf or is it special order from a "boutique'' company that only answers their phone on Wednesdays between 3.33 and 4.44 pm on the second crescent of the moon?

my buddy had me convert his late model jeep to locking hubs using some company that had proprietary knuckles. roached a bearing and ate up the stub axle. 8 months later the hong-kong phooey stuff finally showed up after weeks and weeks of "it's on a boat" when you could get them on the phone.

so, just something to take under consideration.

Last edited:
Jim, the I've had the Centric rotors on backorder with Summit since early August. They just keep kicking the ship date further out. Rock Auto is showing some drilled and slotted in stock for a good bit less than Summit. Power Stop brand I think, whatever Chinese company that is.
Yep, all the same part from all the same vendors, just unavailable.

-
Back