Kick down linkage help

-

ClarkDart70

Street Machines Limited
Reaction score
Just put my new 4 bbl intake and carb on and I need some help with the kick down linkage on my 904. Should this be all the way forward, half way, or all the way back on the stud? Meaning, the slot on the arm of the linkage.

Thanks, Clark

Hey clark, from what I have learned on dads 67 273/904 from the members on here.
1. Push throttle pedal all the way to the floor(car not running LOL)
2. Under the hood try to push the linkage "down" that comes up to the bellcrank from the tranny at the back of the intake. Their should be very little movement here, maybe 1/8-1/4" You will have to adjust at 2 spots to make this work. Hope this helps

So, at WOT the linkage should push down 1/8 to 1/4" at the rear? Will the spring just keep the linkage "floating" when at curb idle?

Hi Clark, Im no expert, but to my knowledge the carb stud should be touching the oval hole on the kickdown all the time. Now there is a spring that goes from your kickdown linkage to the carb stud. This spring helps to keep the kickdown in constant contact with the carb stud. At wot, the carbstud should be pushing the linkage back to max.....that means you should have very very little movement 1/8-1/4" (pushing down on kickdown linkage)Here is a thread I started trying to figure the same thing out.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=197535

With the throttle wide open, push against the KD linkage....there should no extra travel in the KD linkage. In other words, the throttle linkage and the kickdown linkage should "bottom out" at the same time.

Ok I have it set equally (+/- 1/8") and it sits in the middle of the oval with no spring. I see in your pics you ran the spring off of the throttle pin but what didIt hook to on the linkage? I should have taken a picture before ripping it apart I suppose. :) thanks for your help so far, it's getting there.

Post some pics if you can of what you have done so far. The pics in my link are from my dads factory 273 4bbl linkage and it has a small spot with a hole for the spring. The spring ran from the linkage up to the carb stud, to keep the kickdown snug againts the carb stud.

I believe these pics will give you a idea of where to hook the spring from the linkage pin..........

Attachments

• kick d.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 406
  • kickdown link.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 423
Make sure you have a 4 barrel kickdown set up. 2 barrel wont work. I tried and tried with 2 barrel linkage on my Demon, got the right 4 barrel linkage and a world of difference.

-
Back